What's new

BBC News article - ADHD 'queue jumpers'

That's not an excuse to skip there queue. The only people that should be allowed to skip the queues are those in wheelchairs or people with a disability that means that they can't stand in long lines.
Nowadays you see people getting disabled passes in parks because of stupid medical conditions. Like an arm in plaster or something.
Also if 1 in 20 children have ADHD then there's still going to be lots of people doing it which would just cause another queue somewhere else which won't solve anything.

I have ADD, a form of ADHD, and what they're saying is a load of ****e. It doesn't affect anything to do with queues at themeparks whatsoever.

Children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are given passes in most theme parks if they can prove they have the condition. This may reduce the stress of waiting, which they find very difficult.

It's just as stressful for somebody without a form of ADHD as it is somebody with. And getting them to prove it is just still, you can't just prove you have it, you need medical certificates, doctors examinations etc.

The whole idea is stupid, even if it means I could queue jump...

To be honest I dont care! Disorder or no disorder nobody should be able to queue jump! Its unfair on everyone else!

Edit: See Below - Sorry if anybody took offence with this post! :oops:

^I know you don't care as you probably don't know anyone with a disability that means they struggle to stand in long lines like everyone else.
It's a fair system though. You get given a card that has the top seven or so rides on it. When you go on a ride they take the queue time and add it on to the time it is when they write it.
So say it's 2pm and you go on Stealth that has a queue of 60 minutes. The staff would write 3pm on the card. After you get off the ride you must wait until that time before you can go on another of the top rides in the park. This is just so instead of standing in a slow moving queue the person with the disability can find a bench and sit down to rest their legs or get a drink. They still end up waiting the same time as everyone else. Just not in the queue.

People with ADHD shouldn't get to do the same though. Everyone gets bored queueing whether you have it or not so it shouldn't be used as an excuse.
But I suppose the parks have to allow it otherwise people will sue them for discrimination or for not trying to help those with problems.

^
Thanks for telling me how the system works
Sorry if anyone took offence aganst that!
So the sytem is the same as Legolands Q-Bot service except they dont have a gadget

I'm lactose intolerant but I've never burnt down a pizzeria. I say they can wait with everybody else.

Most of our queue jumpers at Chessington had ADHD.... supposedly...

Hell, they waited perfectly fine, I think the parents play on it more than anything. I also hate the fact that the most minor cases get to use this facility as an excuse to jump a queue. Stupid discrimination act, you're almost as bad as the Health and Safety act!

Thats right, lets put the blame on the hyper folk!

And I'm Northern but ahhh don't sit in't 'ouse watchin't Coronation Street every day eating't a meat and tattie pie!

But that's another stereotype :p

Are you serious?

I have ADHD! I'm not mentally challenged or deserve rights! I'm impatient and can't focus, it doesn't mean I can't wait in line or have to jump line. I have to wait, like everyone else. It's fair like that.

I think just someone is trying to make people with ADHD added to the list of people who can skip lines. Honestly, it's not too hard to overcome. Most people don't even notice unless I tell them.

I just think idea is dumb. Why should they be able to when there are people out there that (at least on some rides I know of a few) can't go ahead because of a disability.

Screaming Coasters said:
With respect, I do think its a fair policy for the major sufferers, but parents use it to take the piss.

I slightly agree.. but I do think people could take advantage of this. I'd say 90% of people with ADHD don't need it.. but some people might.

Wow, no.

My sister has ADHD and when she has to, she still can sit there or stand there and wait for her turn to do things. I mean maybe some people have severe forms or something, but most people with ADHD just jump from one thing to another and have no attention spans because they're so damn hyper :p . But if they want to ride the coaster so much then I think they can wait an hour for it.

Let's face it, we now live in a country where if you have any sort of "disability" (not a physical one, but a mental one) then there'll be some sort of scheme avaliable to you.

We lve in a society where the minority of people have endless benifits and those that are Mr/Miss Average are sidelined. In an ideal world, it should be those that contribute more contribute the most to society should have the rewards. I'm fed up with some minorities having everything handed to them, with some exploiting any beneifit; something for nothing if you will. And that'll never change.

I'm not having a go at anybody with ADHD, just the people who milk the system. If you child has ADHD, then perhaps taking them to a theme park is a bad idea during peek periods. I appreciate that you can't keep the children locked away, but a bit of common sense could go a long way. You could even argue that it's bad parenting to take your child to a place where he may cause disruption.

Perhaps having a child with ADHD in a line for an hour would perhaps help teach them how to wait their turn?

I know very little about this "disability" - and I'm to ignornant to learn - but yeah, the message is clear: Regardless of your disability, there'll be a perk somewhere for you. Great way to intergrate into society and lead a normal life. :roll:

SnooSnoo said:
Screaming Coasters said:
With respect, I do think its a fair policy for the major sufferers, but parents use it to take the piss.

I slightly agree.. but I do think people could take advantage of this. I'd say 90% of people with ADHD don't need it.. but some people might.

It's not easy to take advantage of - well, not when the new Merlin disability scheme goes across the board.

You need to have paper proof of the disability signed by a professional. Not something that is as easy to get as a dose of Seroxat from the doctor because you're a bit miserable.

To get a diagnosis for ADD/ADHD you have to be studied and show the correct signs, etc.

Minor_Furie was under a doctor for nine years looking for a diagnosis with what made him odd (I blame the parents). After that time, he had statements to help him catch up with his school work and the like, but he was never quite enough into an ADD/Autism scale to be diagnosed. So he was discharged as he went to secondary school.

So, under a good doctor, it shouldn't be an easy thing to have diagnosed - so it shouldn't be something that happens a lot. It shouldn't just be a case of going to the front desk and saying "my kid has ADHD, let me queue jump". Hopefully Merlin will clamp down now (even though I am guilty of abusing the system with SSIL_Furie myself).

To go to Ian's point (well put BTW). We learned over time what things set Minor_Furie off on one of his "episodes". We could see the signs before they snowballed, and worked out ways of diverting the issue or calming him down. Over a period of years, we all learned together and now Minor_Furie functions almost the same as everyone else (we'll ignore the recent episode of him stabbing six classmates with a pencil and getting suspended :lol: ).

Part of the learning process was learning how to deal with everyday issues. You have to put a coat on if it's cold - the sun shining in December does not mean it's hot. Odd little things like that which could cause an episode.

It's a tough one, when he was younger, you'd certainly not have wanted to be with him in a queue for a ride when he went off on one. However, we'd have never put him in the queue unless we had ways of making sure he wasn't going to go off on one. As Ian says, choose quiet times.

There's a lot to dealing with a kid with ADHD, most of it involves trying to work things out, dealing with things rationally and calmly and over time doing your best to ensure that you child can integrate into society well - ADHD usually lessens over time anyway as the child matures.

So the article I think is right. Your child has to deal with things and needs to learn how society works. They can do, you just have to approach it in the right way (any notice how much attention Minor_Furie demands in a queue? That's part of it - distraction techniques we used when he was younger).

If your child can't deal with the excitement of a theme park? Don't take them to a theme park! Take them to a big wooded area and let them hit trees with stick and kick a ball around. Yeah, it's not fair they have to be excluded from the things other people do - but sorry, such is life. I wanted to be a pilot, but colour blindness stops me - that doesn't mean I should force the RAF to change the rules. I just have to live with the fact that there are some things a disability excludes me from that others may take for granted.

Having said all of that, if the rules are there and slack enough to let people abuse them? Then who can blame people for taking advantage?

Ollie said:
^I know you don't care as you probably don't know anyone with a disability that means they struggle to stand in long lines like everyone else.
It's a fair system though. You get given a card that has the top seven or so rides on it. When you go on a ride they take the queue time and add it on to the time it is when they write it.
So say it's 2pm and you go on Stealth that has a queue of 60 minutes. The staff would write 3pm on the card. After you get off the ride you must wait until that time before you can go on another of the top rides in the park. This is just so instead of standing in a slow moving queue the person with the disability can find a bench and sit down to rest their legs or get a drink. They still end up waiting the same time as everyone else. Just not in the queue.

People with ADHD shouldn't get to do the same though. Everyone gets bored queueing whether you have it or not so it shouldn't be used as an excuse.
But I suppose the parks have to allow it otherwise people will sue them for discrimination or for not trying to help those with problems.

I see no problem with this at all. In fact I'd go further and roll it out to everyone; similar to how they did a few years back.

It's good for the parks, as the less people queuing the more people are wandering around the shops...

If their ADHD is that bad they should be prescribed adderall anyway, in which case they shouldn't even feel the effects of the disorder when at a park (if they take it that day).

If they have ADHD, then a theme park surely isn't the place for them, why go? I think it's a pathetic excuse to go straight to the front of the queue! Especially considering the massive number of sufferers, this would attract more of them to the park creating even longer queue times for the other people anyway, because a seat would be taken by them, thats my opinion!