What's new

Bankruptcy mulled to stop CLP sale

Darren B

Giga Poster
The place was such a dump when I visited in June and there next to no visitors there. infact, there were more employee's then visitors.

What strikes me about the place though is how much potential it has; it's really stuck in the past decades with classic old rides but the whole place is just full of destroyed buildings, pathways and rides. Spend a few bucks cleaning it up and it could be a wonderful park. people would visit just for the nostalgia of the old rides and I think that would be enough to keep the park afloat.

The woodie is also quite fab, it feels like you're seconds away from death even though it's recently received an overhaul. The lift hill actually dips to the left at points where the supports have obviously sunk. It's probably the most ratchet coaster in America <3

So yeah, I really hope the park survives. I'd love to visit again in the future if they can find a way to turn it back into a fully fledged theme park.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Looks like the park might not need to file for chapter 11 to survive.
Conneaut Lake Park is overseen by a charitable trust and should be exempt from paying property taxes, the state Attorney General's Office said Wednesday in a bid to halt a looming sheriff's sale of the storied amusement park.
The filing marks the first time the Attorney General's Office has argued that the park should be tax-exempt.
“I'm pleased that they feel protective of the public trust. To me, that's really key. It's great to see that happening,” said Mark Turner, executive director of the seven-member Trustees of Conneaut Lake Park Inc. board.
At stake are more than $925,000 in back taxes, penalties and interest owed to the county, Sadsbury and Summit townships and the Conneaut School District. All four taxing bodies support a sheriff's sale, scheduled for Nov. 7, to recoup back taxes.
“We're leaving this to our attorney and other attorneys in court and the attorney general to figure all of this out,” Crawford County Commission Chairman Francis Weiderspahn Jr. said.
The board of trustees said it may seek Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection to avoid a sheriff's sale so it can work out a plan to reorganize and pay off debts. Turner said the board wants to avoid a bankruptcy filing, as it could cost $250,000 in fees.
“We hate to do that,” said Turner, also the executive director of the Economic Progress Alliance of Crawford County, which oversees park operations. “We know what the ramifications are. We could enter Chapter 11 and leave it solvent, but we really hate to take that route.”
The Attorney General's Office acts as a guardian for the state's nonprofits. Last year, it demanded the removal and reorganization of the park's board of trustees, saying that it failed to insure two historic buildings destroyed by fire and fell behind on taxes.
The board resigned June 12 under a consent decree with the Attorney General's Office, and a new board formed.
As part of the decree, the old board's insurance company agreed to pay $200,000 to the new board for park expenses. Turner said the board proposed using $100,000 to put a dent in the back taxes, but the taxing bodies rejected that offer.
In its filing with Crawford County Court on Wednesday, the attorney general's office said the court ruled in 2003 that the park “constitutes a charitable trust,” and that no one has ever challenged that designation, though “some portions of the park may be taxable” depending on how they're used.
The Attorney General's Office said that if the sheriff's sale proceeds, any buyer must use the property as a public park because of the trust.
The trustees want to convert the park from a summer attraction to a year-round venue under a 10-year plan that could cost $10 million to $20 million.
Source: http://triblive.com/mobile/6894849-96/park-sale-sheriff

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Things aren't going well for the park and it looks like it could be sold off in an auction in February.
On Wednesday Crawford County Court of Common Pleas cleared the way for Conneaut Lake Park to head to a sheriff’s sale today to pay off more than $925,000 in overdue real estate taxes. Judge Anthony J. Vardaro overruled all four points raised in the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General’s petition to halt a planned sheriff’s sale of the amusement park to settle its outstanding tax debt. Now the park trustees had to file for bankruptcy to delay today's auction.
The Crawford County sheriff's office Friday delayed a sheriff's sale of Conneaut Lake Park until Feb. 6, a day after trustees overseeing the park declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.
The bankruptcy declaration halted the sale of the park for more than $930,000 in back taxes and related fees owed to Crawford County, Conneaut Lake School District and Sadsbury and Summit townships.
A reorganization plan for the park is due by April 3, according to a schedule set by U.S. District Judge Thomas P. Agresti in Erie.
Source: http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/7315706-74/park-conneaut-lake#axzz3L549JtAG

Intricks

Strata Poster
Not sure if I said this in the other thread or not, but the only way this park could even potentially survive, and possibly thrive, in its current state would be if Knoebels decided to take on a second park. The way they are run business wise is nearly identical, and the park has a knack for keeping up older style rides in todays market (Dont they make the necessary parts on site for some of their rides now?).

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
The park has been on the verge of permanent closure for the better part of a decade. I'm starting to wonder if they've changed the name of the place to "Save Conneaut Lake Park".