What's new

B&M Wheel Bogies

CMonster

Giga Poster
I'm doing a project for my engineering class on, you guessed it, a roller coaster. Right now I'm working on the trains, and more specifically the wheel bogeys. So, does anyone have any really good pictures of the bogies on B&M trains? I'm preferably looking for Sit Downs, but I guess they're all fairly similar.

Oh, and, does anybody know the actual diameters of the wheels themselves? Right now I'm just eying the sizes and guessing.

Thanks, and, yes, I have researched this myself and found one or two pictures on RCDB, just looking for some better stuff. :)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I once wiped a bogey under my seat on Inferno but I didn't get a photo I'm afraid.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
dsc_0207_3.jpg

Photo credit: TPR

That's the best I can do, photo wise.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Just to let you know, the actual engineering and technical term is "Wheel Cluster".
"Wheel Bogeys" is something enthusiasts made up to make them look supposedly intelligent. :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The term bogie for me in this sense is the entire construct that contains all the wheels for one train/carriage. That's the way I always understood it in "train" terms.

So a "wheel cluster" would be one part of a bogie (containing a chassis and probably four other wheel clusters).

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Exactly. So it's not just us trying to sound 'clever'...

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Hix, have you ever read a roller coaster manual?

I thought not.

They refer to them as clusters and I'm sure if Undead was still here, he'd back me up on this.

Don't forget, most roller coaster wheels aren't on axels, especially B&M. Wheels are contained in a free moving cluster, not a static bogie.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Sure, but it's hardly us trying to sound 'clever' using the term bogie. In fact, you seem to be the one who trying to sound clever correcting us. Sure, they're not strictly bogies, whatever, it's a pretty good description if you ask me. It's more generic than 'wheel clusters'.

You're the one who sounds like they're trying to show they know it all...

:roll:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^The issue I have is with this:
"Wheel Bogeys" is something enthusiasts made up to make them look supposedly intelligent.
It's just plain silly. We haven't made it up to try and sound clever, we've used it because it fits the bill well enough considering we don't know the real name.

Thanks for letting us know though... :D

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
I didn't say that YOU made it up. I meant that it's such a well known term and adapted by enthusiasts, yet its way off. A bogie is the entire thing, the actual wheel sets are clusters. :)

Thats one for your engineering degree Hahaha j/k :p

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Vekoma call them Clusters, as I've seen in their manuals and so do MS.
Welp, taught me a lesson too I guess. Its a Corkscrew / Wingover matter.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Actually, if you look again, Guerstlauer calls them 'wheel boogeys'. I'm surprised though, their train chassis aren't green and mushy. ;)

[/bad joke]