What's new

Auschwitz and Energylandia?

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I think it was Gdansk to some little town just down the road. Seeing that it's going to be 2023 ish now, I didn't re-look it up. But yeah. First trip to Europe, I just want to see and experience all of it. What was about 3 weeks originally is now about 8 months give or take.
Am I misunderstanding? Are you planning an eight-month trip to Europe? Or are you saying your trip has been postponed for eight months?

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
(Also, if you do go into Krakow, do make time for the Pinball Museum - you won't regret it!)
There's a pinball museum in Krakow?!

<looks it up>

That looks awesome! Medieval Madness, Monster Bash, Scared Stiff, Attack from Mars, Road Show, Junkyard, Funhouse, Theatre of Magic! I'm drooling all over the keyboard here.

I've been to the one in Vegas but this looks even better - it sells beer!

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
There are plenty of reasons why people might like to visit Auschwitz and it sounds like you want to go. But, just in case there is any part of you that doesn’t want to go: it’s OK to not want to go (and you don’t have to go either).

Have a good trip when you get there!
Yeah, “obligatory” does have a dual meaning there. No, I meant ‘must-see’ as in I don’t want to miss that while in the area. As I mentioned, I visited Dachau long ago and found it powerful. Thanks for the wise words, though.

cocoa

Mega Poster
It definitely is worth spending some time in Krakow to just walk around the old city/ Jewish quarter, go to bars and restaurants, and just enjoy the ambience. It's a really cool city that feels to also be just hitting its stride with trendy cool places. Maybe if you're from somewhere else in Europe the prospect of walking around an old city doesn't excite you as much, but to me I'm still totally captivated. Krakow is one of the best preserved cities from before WW2 and you could spend a whole day just wandering around nice alleys in the old city and hunting down small pierogi places on quiet corners.

Having Auschwitz be one of the main tourist attractions there is such a surreal, almost funny thing. I remember hanging out in hostels at night, getting plastered on cheap beer on long beautiful summer nights with people from all over, and the conversation always being about Auschwitz---which is real heavy as far new-hostel-friends-flirting vibes goes. To be honest, going to a Jewish school all my life probably made the whole thing... easier? for me to process than for everyone else. If that makes sense. I probably would feel a bit icky going to a plasticky park like Energylandia after, but there really is no reason to feel guilty about it at all. Everyone else is going back to their hostels/hotels and getting plastered, so...

All up, I really adored my time there. Energylandia is not bad too! But I can't say anyone else at the hostel fathomed spending a day there...

Rock_N_RollBob

Roller Poster
Am I misunderstanding? Are you planning an eight-month trip to Europe? Or are you saying your trip has been postponed for eight months?
Sorry about that...Yes, what was a 3 week roller coaster trip has turned into an 8 month, round the world roller coaster and sight seeing extravaganza. Postponed until Spring of 2023, or until the travel restrictions are a bit more predictable. About 10 weeks in Europe, is what me and my son are imagining right now. Hopefully I can move it up to this Spring, but it's looking unlikely.

dontbesuchamcbr

Roller Poster
I had the same problem in 2018 on my first coaster trip to poland. I knew I had to visit Legendia, EL and Krakow. I also wanted to visit Auschwitz, but I chickend out. It didn't feel right to me to visit the most horrible place on earth and go to one of my favorite places on earth the very next day.
But maybe the next time I am ready for doing both, it is right that there shouldn't be a problem combining both in one trip.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Sorry about that...Yes, what was a 3 week roller coaster trip has turned into an 8 month, round the world roller coaster and sight seeing extravaganza. Postponed until Spring of 2023, or until the travel restrictions are a bit more predictable. About 10 weeks in Europe, is what me and my son are imagining right now. Hopefully I can move it up to this Spring, but it's looking unlikely.
If you do manage an eight-month coaster trip, I’ll be forced to remove all mentions of the word “epic” from the trip reports for my month-and-a-half-long coaster trip! :D

P.S. Are you in Australia/New Zealand? They’re the only people I know who take such massive vacations.

It definitely is worth spending some time in Krakow to just walk around the old city/ Jewish quarter, go to bars and restaurants, and just enjoy the ambience. It's a really cool city that feels to also be just hitting its stride with trendy cool places. Maybe if you're from somewhere else in Europe the prospect of walking around an old city doesn't excite you as much, but to me I'm still totally captivated. Krakow is one of the best preserved cities from before WW2 and you could spend a whole day just wandering around nice alleys in the old city and hunting down small pierogi places on quiet corners.

Having Auschwitz be one of the main tourist attractions there is such a surreal, almost funny thing. I remember hanging out in hostels at night, getting plastered on cheap beer on long beautiful summer nights with people from all over, and the conversation always being about Auschwitz---which is real heavy as far new-hostel-friends-flirting vibes goes. To be honest, going to a Jewish school all my life probably made the whole thing... easier? for me to process than for everyone else. If that makes sense. I probably would feel a bit icky going to a plasticky park like Energylandia after, but there really is no reason to feel guilty about it at all. Everyone else is going back to their hostels/hotels and getting plastered, so...

All up, I really adored my time there. Energylandia is not bad too! But I can't say anyone else at the hostel fathomed spending a day there...
Thanks for the reply. I was definitely gearing up for a nice long stay in Krakow before Covid hit. Hopefully, I’ll still be able to accomplish that some time soon.

Last edited: