What's new

Auschwitz and Energylandia?

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Before Covid hit, I was planning a trip to Poland (and other countries). Of course, I was planning to visit the two main amusement parks, and I was also looking to visit quite a few cultural sites, mostly in and around Krakow. As one does when planning such a trip, I was thinking of logical clumpings of destinations, and one can’t help but notice that Energylandia and Auschwitz are really close to each other. In fact, an Energylandia-Auschwitz-Legendia spur trip from Krakow is what made the most sense.

Then I immediately thought of the reality of that succession and how strange, even jarring, that would be. Rationally, there is absolutely nothing wrong with such an itinerary, but the incongruity of it almost feels like sacrilege.

Don’t get me wrong, incongruity or not, I’d still very much want to visit all three places, and when I go to Poland I will, but still on some vague, perhaps irrational level, it almost feels wrong.

So I thought I’d ask here. Have any of you CFers done such a combination? How did it feel? Strange or natural? I’m just curious to hear anything about your experience of the two places of extremely different tones and whether you really did them back to back.

emoo

Hyper Poster
I haven't done this, yet, but it's just about everyones plan or expectation. Because of human history for one, and our general interest for the other it would be strange not to do both. Even if I'm not actually looking forward to it all.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I haven't done this, yet, but it's just about everyones plan or expectation. Because of human history for one, and our general interest for the other it would be strange not to do both. Even if I'm not actually looking forward to it all.
Thanks for the response. Yes, exactly. They both feel like obligatory stops. I visited Dachau a long, long time ago, and it was a powerful experience that stayed with me. As times have changed since then and many in my country seem to be forgetting valuable lessons of the past now, it feels all the more pressing to visit a place like Auschwitz.

StevenX

Roller Poster
I've done this. If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about how you think you should feel - it's quite likely you won't feel that way anyway. I've been to Auschwitz twice, and whilst it's a fascinating and important place, I've found it hard both times to relate to it. It feels quite cold and clinical, although sometimes quite upsetting. I definitely didn't feel how I thought I would going in. And there is nothing wrong with going there then doing something else totally different to contrast it; you may even find it cathartic. If you feel particularly strange about it, just do Energylandia first, I'd suggest.

Bathtub Gin

Roller Poster
I did them on the same trip, but I don't think it was on consecutive days. Honestly, didn't think much of it. We also had a funeral followed by a wedding the very next day on the same trip. That was bizarre.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I've done this. If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about how you think you should feel - it's quite likely you won't feel that way anyway. I've been to Auschwitz twice, and whilst it's a fascinating and important place, I've found it hard both times to relate to it. It feels quite cold and clinical, although sometimes quite upsetting. I definitely didn't feel how I thought I would going in. And there is nothing wrong with going there then doing something else totally different to contrast it; you may even find it cathartic. If you feel particularly strange about it, just do Energylandia first, I'd suggest.
Thanks, and wise words all. But I will say that I was not so much addressing how I should feel but how I would feel. I suspect you may be right about the catharsis. But who knows until one is there, as you say. That’s why I’m curious about others’ experiences.

StevenX

Roller Poster
Thanks, and wise words all. But I will say that I was not so much addressing how I should feel but how I would feel. I suspect you may be right about the catharsis. But who knows until one is there, as you say. That’s why I’m curious about others’ experiences.
Absolutely. As I inferred, I really didn't feel how I thought I might. I'd try not to second guess it too much if I were you - and as I suggested, maybe pick your days carefully depending on your temperament. Make sure to leave a bit of time to explore Kraków too; it's a beautiful city!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I've done that sort of trip. The set up was:

Saturday: Fly into Katowice in evening
Sunday: Legendary
Monday morning: Auschwitz
Monday afternoon: Time in Krakow
Tuesday: Energylandia and fly home

The idea sounded good on paper and to be honest worked fine. Obviously doing the parks on different days helped majorly. I personally wouldn't recommend doing a park on the same day, in part because that increases travelling time anyway (not significantly, but enough), but because - more importantly - it will leave you quite drained.

For some added info, the Auschwitz day of the trip was a real roller coaster for me. We arrived slightly before opening, and when waiting I received an unexpected funding offer from my university (which featured many pros and cons), and was told I needed to give a decision by the end of the week. I was simultaneously waiting on hearing back from a job interview too.
Spending time in Auschwitz completely floored me and threw a lot of that out of my mind temporarily.

In the afternoon in Krakow we did two escape rooms (one which was particularly terrifying and i had to leave early, the other ended up being themed to the Wolfenstein series...a poor and perhaps not most tasteful choice in many ways). We also went to the Pinball Museum and Hard Rock in the city too.

So yeah, by the end of that day I was completely exhausted, especially from a more mental/emotional standpoint. But the next day I was fine and ready to do a park again. It didn't feel weird or anything.

Anyways, I've rambled a bit here. In short, I think the parks + Auschwitz combo is something which can be done in one trip. Obviously depending on what type of person you are might dictate how much time you might want to leave yourself before/after Auschwitz until you do something more upbeat.

(Also, if you do go into Krakow, do make time for the Pinball Museum - you won't regret it!)

davidm

Strata Poster
On my second trip to Energylandia (to go see Zadra) I spent a few days In Krakow and went to Auschwitz on a day bus trip from Krakow city, 90 min bus trip each way or so. I'd had 2 days at the park before I went to Auschwitz, not sure I'd fancy doing it the other way around.
Auschwitz was one of the "best" things I've done, if that's even an appropriate expression - hope it makes sense.
Krakow itself is lovely though, quite a bit of other "culture" there too.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Absolutely. As I inferred, I really didn't feel how I thought I might. I'd try not to second guess it too much if I were you - and as I suggested, maybe pick your days carefully depending on your temperament. Make sure to leave a bit of time to explore Kraków too; it's a beautiful city!
Yes — when I was planning I allotted more than a week for Krakow — time to see the city’s sights, including the salt mine out of town, hang out a bit, and of course do the spur trip described in this thread.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I've done that sort of trip. The set up was:

Saturday: Fly into Katowice in evening
Sunday: Legendary
Monday morning: Auschwitz
Monday afternoon: Time in Krakow
Tuesday: Energylandia and fly home

The idea sounded good on paper and to be honest worked fine. Obviously doing the parks on different days helped majorly. I personally wouldn't recommend doing a park on the same day, in part because that increases travelling time anyway (not significantly, but enough), but because - more importantly - it will leave you quite drained.

For some added info, the Auschwitz day of the trip was a real roller coaster for me. We arrived slightly before opening, and when waiting I received an unexpected funding offer from my university (which featured many pros and cons), and was told I needed to give a decision by the end of the week. I was simultaneously waiting on hearing back from a job interview too.
Spending time in Auschwitz completely floored me and threw a lot of that out of my mind temporarily.

In the afternoon in Krakow we did two escape rooms (one which was particularly terrifying and i had to leave early, the other ended up being themed to the Wolfenstein series...a poor and perhaps not most tasteful choice in many ways). We also went to the Pinball Museum and Hard Rock in the city too.

So yeah, by the end of that day I was completely exhausted, especially from a more mental/emotional standpoint. But the next day I was fine and ready to do a park again. It didn't feel weird or anything.

Anyways, I've rambled a bit here. In short, I think the parks + Auschwitz combo is something which can be done in one trip. Obviously depending on what type of person you are might dictate how much time you might want to leave yourself before/after Auschwitz until you do something more upbeat.

(Also, if you do go into Krakow, do make time for the Pinball Museum - you won't regret it!)
Thanks for the response. Getting that phone call right before Auschwitz sounds exhausting already!

Thanks — interesting to hear your experience. And thanks for the tip about the pinball museum. I had a to-see list for Krakow and that was not on it.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
On my second trip to Energylandia (to go see Zadra) I spent a few days In Krakow and went to Auschwitz on a day bus trip from Krakow city, 90 min bus trip each way or so. I'd had 2 days at the park before I went to Auschwitz, not sure I'd fancy doing it the other way around.
Auschwitz was one of the "best" things I've done, if that's even an appropriate expression - hope it makes sense.
Krakow itself is lovely though, quite a bit of other "culture" there too.
Yes, I was wondering about the best order of experiences, and I was thinking the same as you — do Auschwitz last. But StevenX said a park the next day was cathartic, and I could see that.

Do I want to know what kind of “other culture” you mean? :D Can I just insert the general term “nightlife” there?🧐

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
I did it too - Legendia one day, then Chorzow Zoo the next morning and Auschwitz in the afternoon, then Energylandia the next day. It was a bit weird doing it that way but we had been to Auschwitz on a previous trip so we skipped some of the exhibits and just had a respectful walk around the grounds. It certainly has to be one of the more unusual trios of tourist destinations!

Rock_N_RollBob

Roller Poster
Our plan was Legendia/EL/then Auschwitz- and make our way to Kolmarden via flying or the longish ferry. The thought was to be as respectful as possible, and let it all soak in with a built in travel day following. Who knows what we'll end up doing though.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Our plan was Legendia/EL/then Auschwitz- and make our way to Kolmarden via flying or the longish ferry. The thought was to be as respectful as possible, and let it all soak in with a built in travel day following. Who knows what we'll end up doing though.
That's one heck of a ferry from Katowice to Kolmarden, given about half the miles are over land! :D

Rock_N_RollBob

Roller Poster
I think it was Gdansk to some little town just down the road. Seeing that it's going to be 2023 ish now, I didn't re-look it up. But yeah. First trip to Europe, I just want to see and experience all of it. What was about 3 weeks originally is now about 8 months give or take.