What's new

Attraction Rankings

No because your rankings are based on nothing that has any relevance in the real World.

Read their opinions, digest what they say and where they differ in relation to photos etc of the ride that you have seen and come up with your own opinion.

Also don't double post to respond to seperate people, put it all in one.

But it's not helpful in this instance because rollercoasters are a very different type of machine, who's sole function is to provide thrills. Each person has their own unique way they interpret what is thrilling, and it usually has nothing to do with the age of the coaster itself. Like, I love and have a lot of respect for older coasters but they'd never appear in my top 10 because they're just not as thrilling as more recent models.

I appreciate the effort you've made to collate this data, but I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to prove with it. Are you trying to find which coasters are best? Because that is entirely subjective and there will never be a definitive answer, the height, speed and age of a coaster doesn't always reflect the quality of it. The closest you'll get to deciding which are the best coasters would be collating and comparing results from opinion polls, such as CFs Coaster Tournament. Even then it wouldn't be very definitive as opinions vary greatly.

All this data just can't be used to prove something that is as subjective as the quality of a roller coaster. Like I said I'm not entirely sure if that is what you're trying to prove, is it?

Not being rude, but I'm a bit confused - what exactly is the point of these rankings?

jackdude101 said:
Ben said:
If the cool kids are telling you your ratings end up miles away from the truth maybe you should rethink why.

The main issue I have with that is that opinions of hardcore park enthusiasts on a specific ride are not always consistent. If one person who has ridden 1,000 coasters says Ride X is the best ride ever, but another person who has also ridden 1,000 coasters says Ride X is just mediocre, both are highly respected by the community, and you have not ridden the ride yourself, which one of them do you believe? This is an example where a ranking system like mine or something similar to mine would be helpful.

If there was a situation like that, then surely the best thing to do is to ask why they have that opinion? For example...

Person 1 may love Ride X because they enjoy rides that have loads of airtime, are very smooth and graceful, etc., and that could well be what Ride X is like.
Person 2 may find Ride X mediocre because they prefer their rides to have a bit more of a 'snap' to them, they enjoy a bit of force and 'rough and ready' to their coasters.

It's not something you can quantify (it can't come under Ride Comfort either; a ride can have a snap to them and still be comfortable). And that's fine. Inconsistencies are fine. Everyone will be slightly different and have different opinions. If two people disagree, there's a good chance it will be down to what people want from a coaster anyway imo.

As I said before, I feel like this system is more measuring coasters as an ornamental piece. Or treating coasters as Top Trumps cards; and your score gives an indication as to how "good" a card the coaster would make to have in a game. But I don't think it can tell you how good it is, for all the reasons people have said. Then again, I agree with Chris Brown in that it'd be interesting to see how well it could predict someone's Top 10, for example.

Jack, I'll list the major parks I've visited (I'm basic so won't take you long to figure out the coasters aha) Alton towers, Thorpe park, universal Florida, Busch gardens Tampa (pre cheetah hunt), gardaland, mirabilandia, rainbow magicland, Cinnecita world. I know my top ten and it is only rides from those parks. Let me know if you encounter any issues

Chris Brown said:
Jack, I'll list the major parks I've visited (I'm basic so won't take you long to figure out the coasters aha) Alton towers, Thorpe park, universal Florida, Busch gardens Tampa (pre cheetah hunt), gardaland, mirabilandia, rainbow magicland, Cinnecita world. I know my top ten and it is only rides from those parks. Let me know if you encounter any issues

Here you go, Chris. What you see are all of the roller coasters from the parks you listed that have an above average overall score (currently, the average is 2.50 out of 10). I'd attach a screenshot, but it says the board attachment quota has been reached.

Name Location Country Ranking
Montu Busch Gardens Tampa USA 7.91
Kumba Busch Gardens Tampa USA 7.88
Altair: CCW-0204 Cinecittà World Italy 7.82
Katun Mirabilandia Italy Italy 7.74
iSpeed Mirabilandia Italy Italy 6.90
Swarm Thorpe Park UK 6.72
Colossus Thorpe Park UK 6.64
Dragon Challenge (Chinese Fireball) Universal Orlando Resort (Islands of Adventure) USA 6.44
SheiKra Busch Gardens Tampa USA 6.30
Dragon Challenge (Hungarian Horntail) Universal Orlando Resort (Islands of Adventure) USA 6.28
Divertical Mirabilandia Italy Italy 6.01
Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit Universal Orlando Resort (Universal Studios Florida) USA 5.90
Oblivion: the Black Hole Gardaland Italy 5.76
Cheetah Hunt Busch Gardens Tampa USA 5.75
Blue Tornado Gardaland Italy 5.65
Raptor Gardaland Italy 5.63
Stealth Thorpe Park UK 5.53
SAW: the Ride Thorpe Park UK 5.30
Nemesis Alton Towers UK 5.21
Magic Mountain Gardaland Italy 5.08
Nemesis Inferno Thorpe Park UK 5.07
Shock: Steam Machine Rainbow MagicLand Italy 5.01
Oblivion Alton Towers UK 4.56
Galactica Alton Towers UK 3.98
Darkmare: Till the Last Circle Cinecittà World Italy 3.68
Rita Alton Towers UK 3.62
TH13TEEN Alton Towers UK 3.41
Scorpion Busch Gardens Tampa USA 3.27
Mammut Gardaland Italy 3.11
Sequoia Adventure Gardaland Italy 3.01
Olandese Volante Rainbow MagicLand Italy 2.77
Cagliostro Rainbow MagicLand Italy 2.72
Revenge of the Mummy Universal Orlando Resort (Universal Studios Florida) USA 2.63
Sonic Spinball Alton Towers UK 2.37
Bombo Rainbow MagicLand Italy 2.19
Max Adventures Master Thai Mirabilandia Italy Italy 2.16
Harry Potter & the Escape from Gringotts Universal Orlando Resort (Universal Studios Florida) USA 2.13
Sand Serpent Busch Gardens Tampa USA 1.73
X Thorpe Park UK 1.71
Pakal Mirabilandia Italy Italy 1.68
Runaway Mine Train Alton Towers UK 1.64
OrtoBruco Tour Gardaland Italy 1.59
Flight of the Hippogriff Universal Orlando Resort (Islands of Adventure) USA 1.58
Octonauts: Rollercoaster Adventure Alton Towers UK 1.50
Air Grover Busch Gardens Tampa USA 1.50
Pteranodon Flyers Universal Orlando Resort (Islands of Adventure) USA 1.20
Flying Fish Thorpe Park UK 1.18
Bruco Rainbow MagicLand Italy 1.09
Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse Coaster Universal Orlando Resort (Universal Studios Florida) USA 1.03
Rexplorer Mirabilandia Italy Italy 1.01
Leprotto Express Mirabilandia Italy Italy 1.00

jackdude101 said:
Chris Brown said:

Here you go, Chris. What you see are all of the roller coasters from the parks you listed that have an above average overall score (currently, the average is 2.50 out of 10). I'd attach a screenshot, but it says the board attachment quota has been reached.

Name Location Country Ranking
Dragon Challenge (Chinese Fireball) Universal Orlando Resort (Islands of Adventure) USA 6.44
Dragon Challenge (Hungarian Horntail) Universal Orlando Resort (Islands of Adventure) USA 6.28
Divertical Mirabilandia Italy Italy 6.01
Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit Universal Orlando Resort (Universal Studios Florida) USA 5.90
Oblivion: the Black Hole Gardaland Italy 5.76
Cheetah Hunt Busch Gardens Tampa USA 5.75
Blue Tornado Gardaland Italy 5.65
SAW: the Ride Thorpe Park UK 5.30
Magic Mountain Gardaland Italy 5.08
Nemesis Inferno Thorpe Park UK 5.07
Oblivion Alton Towers UK 4.56
Galactica Alton Towers UK 3.98
Darkmare: Till the Last Circle Cinecittà World Italy 3.68
Rita Alton Towers UK 3.62
TH13TEEN Alton Towers UK 3.41
Scorpion Busch Gardens Tampa USA 3.27
Mammut Gardaland Italy 3.11
Sequoia Adventure Gardaland Italy 3.01
Olandese Volante Rainbow MagicLand Italy 2.77
Cagliostro Rainbow MagicLand Italy 2.72
Revenge of the Mummy Universal Orlando Resort (Universal Studios Florida) USA 2.63
Sonic Spinball Alton Towers UK 2.37
Bombo Rainbow MagicLand Italy 2.19
Harry Potter & the Escape from Gringotts Universal Orlando Resort (Universal Studios Florida) USA 2.13
Sand Serpent Busch Gardens Tampa USA 1.73
X Thorpe Park UK 1.71
Pakal Mirabilandia Italy Italy 1.68
Runaway Mine Train Alton Towers UK 1.64
OrtoBruco Tour Gardaland Italy 1.59
Flight of the Hippogriff Universal Orlando Resort (Islands of Adventure) USA 1.58
Octonauts: Rollercoaster Adventure Alton Towers UK 1.50
Air Grover Busch Gardens Tampa USA 1.50
Pteranodon Flyers Universal Orlando Resort (Islands of Adventure) USA 1.20
Flying Fish Thorpe Park UK 1.18
Bruco Rainbow MagicLand Italy 1.09
Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse Coaster Universal Orlando Resort (Universal Studios Florida) USA 1.03
Rexplorer Mirabilandia Italy Italy 1.01
Leprotto Express Mirabilandia Italy Italy 1.00

Thanks Jack! So here is my Top 10 based on what your spreadsheet has calculated.

And here is my top actual top 10.

The Incredible Hulk Universal Orlando Resort (Islands of Adventure) N/A

Take into account that i visited the USA back in 2009 (pre enthusiast) and have placed these in my top 10 on the basis that i enjoyed these coasters back then.

Cheers for that Jack! Very interesting. Out of curiosity whats the highest rated coaster on your spreadsheet?

Chris Brown said:
Cheers for that Jack! Very interesting. Out of curiosity whats the highest rated coaster on your spreadsheet?

Thanks. The current top-rated roller coaster on my list is Fury 325.

mouse said:
Not being rude, but I'm a bit confused - what exactly is the point of these rankings?

It's just something fun (for me) that I like to do. It's definitely not because I'm making any money off of it, that's for sure (even if I did, firsthand accounts of the rides are still going to be valued the most). Also, by updating these regularly, it keeps me up-to-date on which roller coasters are open, closing, etc.

It's also fun to play with how the numbers are calculated. For instance, I wanted to know if I calculated the data in such a way that would favor the US Disney Parks, what other parks would this also favor? The top 10 for that is posted below. The Luna Park presence here is a fluke, as it is really just one location spread across the old Coney Island amusement area. The top dog over at rcdb.com insists on separating this park's roller coasters into two park entries on his site, and since I follow the roller coaster census there very closely, I'm following suit.

Location Complex Location Weather Ranking Roller Coaster Ranking Steam Railroad Ranking Classic Carousel Ranking Overall Ranking
Walt Disney World Walt Disney World (Magic Kingdom) 7.77 1.62 2.59 4.02 15.99
Walt Disney World (Animal Kingdom) 7.77 0.95 - - 8.72
Walt Disney World (Hollywood Studios) 7.77 0.58 - - 8.35
Walt Disney World (Epcot) 7.77 - - - 7.77
Cedar Point Cedar Point 7.21 10.00 2.84 10.00 30.06
Disneyland Resort Disneyland Resort (Disneyland) 7.39 1.52 3.28 3.19 15.39
Disneyland Resort (California Adventure) 7.39 0.87 - - 8.25
Hersheypark Hersheypark 6.50 6.58 1.10 5.60 19.78
Six Flags Over Texas Six Flags Over Texas 8.70 5.13 2.62 3.14 19.59
Universal Orlando Resort Universal Orlando Resort (Islands of Adventure) 7.84 1.78 - - 9.62
Universal Orlando Resort (Universal Studios Florida) 7.84 1.34 - - 9.17
Knott's Berry Farm Knott's Berry Farm 7.39 4.16 3.28 3.67 18.49
Knoebels Knoebels 5.47 1.93 1.04 10.00 18.44
Luna Park in Coney Island Luna Park in Coney Island (Luna Park) 6.08 1.56 - 3.61 11.24
Luna Park in Coney Island (Scream Zone) 6.08 0.61 - - 6.68
Kings Island Kings Island 5.89 7.08 1.52 3.32 17.81

Keep in mind that it is not just roller coasters that I'm researching for this stuff. If anyone wants to expand the discussion, you can inquire about the other things calculated.