What's new

Are Major Track Modifications New Credits?

Hobbes

Mega Poster
This has probably been asked before, but I didn't notice it in the most recent "what is a cred" topic.

Obviously many rides undergo track modifications. Some, like I305's slightly altered first turn, definitely do not count as new creds, at least in my book.

But what about other rides, like Steel Phantom/Phantom's Revenge? I haven't ridden the coaster in either of its forms, but I would assume that the ride experiences were rather different. Are they two different creds, or just one?

Lastly, what about RMC iron horse retracking? Do NTG and Iron Rattler count as new creds if you rode the woodies in their original form?

Is there a definite answer to these scenarios, or is it one of those grey areas that varies from person to person?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ The examples you've given are entirely different layouts, not just a bit of re tracking, so clearly new coasters.

bmac

Giga Poster
Agreeing with Gavin. New Texas Giant and Iron Rattler would count as new credits because they are entirely different experiences to their previous counterparts. So if say, Colossus @ SFMM gets the Iron Box treatment and its layout is altered greatly then it would be considered a new credit, whereas if it just gets retracked then it'd still be 1 credit (but worth riding again since it wouldn't be a jackhammer anymore).

BBH

Giga Poster
Conversion from one type to another is a new credit. Reshaping and small modifications (ie. SoB avec/sans loop) are not new credits. Relocations, definitely not.

That's basically what I use, so if something happens like American Eagle Blue gets redone as an IBox, it would count as a new credit, but it would be the same ride and no new credit if the last helix was taken out and the rest of the layout left alone, for example.

Posted while reading your mind.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
^So you don't think relocations count...do clones count?

As to the OP, I +1 what others have said. All of the rides you mentioned are pretty much rebuilt rides and are not the same as they were before. New creds.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
New roller coaster track = new credit.

With the Phantom's Revenge example, though for a while the lift hill, first and second drop were all still original, an arguable majority of the rest of the ride was still new. Compared to I305, a small portion of track has been replaced, which does not merit a new credit.

Snoo

The Legend
Agreed with all of the above. Old Phanny and New Phanny are two completely different experiences with mostly new track. Relocations, on the other hand, is the SAME track just in a new spot. Not a new cred.

Don't bring furie in here tho.. he will bitch with you until the next decade to argue his point. :p

Hobbes

Mega Poster
Thanks to all who responded. That's kind of what I figured it would be, but I wanted to hear some other opinions on the subject.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

BBH

Giga Poster
rtotheizzo17 said:
^So you don't think relocations count...do clones count?

As to the OP, I +1 what others have said. All of the rides you mentioned are pretty much rebuilt rides and are not the same as they were before. New creds.
To answer your question, yes, clones are new credits.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
To me, 50% or more of the layout changes BY REMOVAL and it's not a cred. This excludes Colossus (SFMM) with the double down removed and Son of Beast's loop being removed for example.

However, add something SIGNIFICANT (barring I-305's turn) new and it's a new cred, such as Hades 360.