What's new

Are Coasters in a sense alive?

JackFish

Mega Poster
Many car people will vouch for me, but with different cars, they all have different feelings. You can connect to a muscular car, or a light easy car. You can learn what the car likes and doesn't like. You can see what's wrong and you almost have a sense of friendship if you have the right car. As Jermy Clarkson once said, ¨It’s what non-car people don’t get. They see all cars as just a ton and a half, two tons of wires, glass, metal, and rubber, and that’s all they see. People like you or I know we have an unshakable belief that cars are living entities… You can develop a relationship with a car and that’s what non-car people don’t get… When something has foibles and won’t handle properly, that gives it a particularly human quality because it makes mistakes, and that’s how you can build a relationship with a car that other people won’t get.¨

For coasters is it the same? I would say yes. You can be connected to a ride, whether it be your first ride or your most recent it can hold a special place in your heart. You can tell when something goes wrong, you've seen it in all of its states and know the queues inside and out. When you are on it you feel a connection and how well it's feeling (Running). I think coasters are more than machines, they are more than wires and steel and wheels. They are a creature of their own in a way.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Roller coasters are as anthropomorphic as anything else we ascribe human traits to in the world. It would make sense, as so many emotions can be evoked while riding something that pumps testosterone through your system!

Except Macks. They have no soul.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
It sounds like you might have Objectophilia.

Cue that story of the 'Woman Who Married a Rollercoaster' in 3...2...1....

Nice topic, and I'm inclined to say yes. In a similar vein, wasn't there a topic some time ago about 'Are Coasters Male or Female?' Or something like that? To that, I would say that some are most definitely female (Nemesis, Mako, The Ride To Happiness, anything vaguely maternal really), while others are definitely male (El Toro, The Big One, anything named after a male character, Batman, Superman, Zeus etc...).
Quite a few others though are distinctly non binary.

JackFish

Mega Poster
Cue that story of the 'Woman Who Married a Rollercoaster' in 3...2...1....

Nice topic, and I'm inclined to say yes. In a similar vein, wasn't there a topic some time ago about 'Are Coasters Male or Female?' Or something like that? To that, I would say that some are most definitely female (Nemesis, Mako, The Ride To Happiness, anything vaguely maternal really), while others are definitely male (El Toro, The Big One, anything named after a male character, Batman, Superman, Zeus etc...).
Quite a few others though are distinctly non binary.
Outlaw Run: Male
Powder Keg: Female
And then you have some coasters like Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit. Who knows that that one is

JackFish

Mega Poster
Does that make RMC conversion coasters Trans?
I think it depends. How much of a change? Like Wildcat (female) to Wildcats Revenge (Male) transgender

But Meanstreak (Male) to Steel Vengeance Male (No change)

This is actually hilarious to discuss

I just came here to rant about philosophical beliefs, but this is some real good stuff. Sums up this community to a tee. Cars are alive in a sense because you control them. I race go karts, and there are certain types and sizes of karts I like more than others. I like them really tight and loose, but my friends all like understeer but planted karts. Indy can vouch for me, but we only notice that cars are alive because we can feel the difference.

Oh and for the male female debate here are some convenient lists:
If they f up a repaint and you say "poor girl, what have they done too you?" Am I crazy? Or has anyone else done that?
F-

Nemesis
Zadra?
Tatsu? Like the mother dragon is defending her eggs?
Manta SWSD
Millie
Wonder woman
Banshee
Viper? Just gives me those vibes
Kraken
Velocicoaster: the raptors are girls, therefore their coaster is?
Shiekra

M-

Montezooma
El Toro
Steve
The Beast?
SON of beast
Intimadator
Nighthawk
Big Bear Mountain
Lrod