What's new

April fools

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
bob_3_ said:
What's with the anti-April fools negativity here.

I thing some of them are great. Only a little bit of fun for half a day, it's kinda nice =).
I don't mind the concept of April fools. The problem is when you have April fools + the internet + time zones. You're reading through the news three days later and you're still coming across loads of April fools crap that in some cases sounds vaguely plausible.

Some of them are quite amusing though. If they're funny and blatantly a joke then it's all good.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
East Coast(er) General said:
The lack of an April Fools prank on CF this year is my fault. furie asked me to do something he thought up, but I refused as I didn't think it was worthy of previous years efforts.
Sorry everyone.

I've been too busy to work on one.

The other thing is, it's become a "tradition". I noticed it especially this year. Everyone is looking for the April Fools and the incredibly witty jape that their favourite park/website/paper will produce.

It defeats the object, the joke should be something believable - which is very hard to pull off when everyone is actively looking to be tricked.

So the amusing "personal" tricks are the best, like Marc's and Ian's.

Ploddish scored a win too on Facebook - he did it correctly, laying down a back story to hook people and to make it more believable. He even admitted what he was doing, but so subtly that it misled them. It really caught a lot of people - well played Owain :)

So, if you're expecting it, then you're not going to be fooled. That means that the hoax has to become more and more elaborate, which means it requires a huge amount of work. The more effort that goes into it, the more chance you have of it falling flat on its face and making you look a fool (unless it's technically very clever like some of the tech company ones).

So there we are, I didn't make any this year, or fall for any. Will I make a new one for next year? Who knows? ;)