What's new

Another Year Gone By - A Reflection On The 2010 Season

marc

CF Legend
What was your favorite moment of the 2010 season?

Being able to take off for Orlando, followed by GF.

What was the biggest surprise of the year?

Manta.

What was the best addition to a park in 2010?

Wild Asia Chessington

What was the biggest disappointment of 2010?

13 at Alton Towers, yes I did not expect much but 13 was a complete let down.

Kumba. I have no idea what they have done to the coaster but it now has square wheels and is far too loud to enjoy.

Disney selling beer at Epcot and Hollywood studios so people can walk round all day getting drunk and sticking queue lines out. I do hope they get rid of this fast, people have smoking areas so there should be drinking areas.

What was the best new-for-you coaster you rode this year?

Manta by far. I heard it was a cross between Tatsu and Air but it is nothing like either of them.

Did you ride a coaster that opened in 2010?

Yes 13.

How many and/or which parks did you visit?

about 15.

Did you reach the coaster count goal that you set at the beginning of the season?

I did not set a goal and only road 5 new coasters.

Any changes to your top ten?

Manta will replace Tatsu.

What are you most looking forward to in 2011?

Italy if I can go.

There have honestly been way too many. I'm gonna say meeting the English members that I've wanted to meet for ages, and getting to go places I never thought I'd go, especially Alton. Also, being tricked about Hixee being deaf was something I probably won't forget either!

When the gang came back from Wendy's sooner than expected :p LOL jk, I think Prowler and Phoenix were good surprises. I suppose the whole Brad thing was rather unexpected as well :p .

I-305 as much as I really wasn't a huge fan.

Both Intimidators

Nemesis, hands down!

Intimidator 305 and Intimidator at Carowinds.

- Canada's Wonderland
- Knoebels
- Hersheypark
- Kings Dominion
- Busch Gardens Europe
- Carowinds
- Dollywood
- Kings Island
- Holiday World
- Worlds of Fun
- Silver Dollar City
- Six Flags St. Louis
- Indiana Beach
- Cedar Point
- Kennywood
- Waldameer
- Thorpe
- Chessington
- Alton Towers
- Circus Circus

So, twenty parks! And I'll also be going to Winter Wonderland, if that counts. I went to some other small parks too, like the African Lion Safari and stuff, but I won't go so far as to count those, as they don't even have credz.

Did you reach the coaster count goal that you set at the beginning of the season?

Wanted 200, and so far I've surpassed that by 14

Added Nemesis, Phoenix, and Prowler.

The Euro Live, probably.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Dont really have one.....

How much of a good park Drayton Manor has become

I dunno....

Only Thirteen I'm afraid.

Yes, Thirteen, which was good fun.

Not many this year, had a quiet one. DLP, Alton, Drayton and Fantasy Island.

I dont have a goal as such, but I have certain parks/coasters that I'd like to visit/ride to boost my coaster experience. For example, I'm hoping to visit Plopsaland De Panne next year, my CC will go up by 6, but more importantly I would have a ridden a few ride types that I am yet to ride, such a Gerstlauer Launched coaster, a Mack Supersplash, Batflyer, Starflyer etc

Finally pulling my finger out of my arse and gaining some more park experiences, especially in Europe. Could be good here in the UK too next year, with on goings at LWV, BPB and Drayton. As well as Peppa Pig world at Paultons, Storm Surge at Thorpe and some new water ride at Pleasure Island.

alexr

Hyper Poster

Visiting Universal's Islands of Adventure.

Going to Pbb and finding all the rides running pretty bad and on low capacity.

The Hulk and Rip ride rockit

Not really a coaster but Harry Potter and the forbiden Journey.

Didn't have one.

theRock-steel

Mega Poster
It was the first ride on TTD with my brother's kid. (This was a re-ride for me from years ago.)

Prowler really kicks butt and X-Coaster keeps you upside down forever.

As is normal, I did not ride anything major in it's first year.

No new rides were bad. Some coasters change over the years. I used to love Backlot Stunt Coaster and Flight of Fear at KI, but they didn't seem like much this time.

As I said before, Prowler is the bomb.

Air Grover, but ...

4 at WDW
SeaWorld Orlando
2 at Universal Florida
Busch Gardens Africa
Kings Island
Cedar Point
Six Flags St. Louis
Worlds of Fun
Magic Springs

Yes. Arkansas Twister was number 200 and X-Coaster finished my count at 201.

MF moved down to #3, so AC is now #1.
Diamondback is #4 for now.
Patriot and Talon are really twins, so they could both be at #10.
Mr.Freeze of SFSTL is the same as Mr.Freeze of SFOT, and they are within the top 20.
Maverick is a bit lower but it is up there somewhere.
Prowler and what was called Evel Knievel have entered my top woodens as #3 and #6. Roar (SFA) and El Toro have slipped down.

I like to add new parks every year. 2011 should be good for that because the upper mid-west has been left out. These should be new ones for me:
Indiana Beach
Six Flags Great America
Mt. Olympus
Timber Falls
Nickelodeon Universe
Valleyfair!

New rides at previously visited parks:
Cheetah Hunt
Carolina Cobra
Carolina Cyclone
Intimidator
Dare Devil Dive
Barnstormer (flat ride - giant swing)

And anything else you might want to add.
Giant swings, giant flumes, and giant drop towers are among the flats that can kick some small coasters' behinds.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Ok, not to be a bitch or anything, but to everyone saying Wild Asia as best 2010 addition... Really?

Are you **** ing serious?

Maybe it was the hangover. Maybe it was the the **** ty weather. Maybe it was the luke-warm "hot" chocolate. Maybe it was the hour plus of hanging around in that essentially desolate area, but...

It's s**t.

Sorry, but it is. A Disc-O, some relocated dodgems and some flea-ridden parakeets, surrounded by cracked, uneven, flood-prone paving as the world's best 2010 addition? Bollocks. It's shockingly horrible.

Jake

Strata Poster
What was your favourite moment of the 2010 season?

Finally doing some Asian parks!

Probably the SLC in Israel. It wasn't as horrendus as I expected :p.

I'd say the whole of Universal Studios Singapore. It's a great addition to what the city/country has to offer!

Mumbo Jumbo. I knew it wasn't going to be great, but I expected it to be at least a BIT interesting...

The Mummy at Universal Studios Singapore.

Thirteen and all the creds at Universal Studios Singapore (apart from Battlestar obv).

A few UK parks, USS, a few in Malaysia, one in Israel and one in Ukraine.

I didn't have a target, and this year was slower than 2009 with about 50 creds. Still a good season though!

Nah

The far east - Taiwan, Hong Kong, aswell as the Shenzhen and Shanghai areas of China. Lots of culture and a fair amount of unique coasters... should be good!

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Gotta pick a non-coaster moment. And from the last ten days of 2009.

Birth of babby girl. Nuff said.

Six Flags Mexico. Beautiful park, and well run.

Intimidator. And I do not mean I-305.

I-305. First the crappy OTSRs, then neutering the ride, but fixing the harnesses.

Intimidator

Yes.

Both Intimidator and I-305. Also snagged some of the kiddy coaster openings in the US.

40+ new for me parks, mostly smaller stuff like the Jersey Shore.

Yes, I exceeded 1000 costers total.

No.

Not counting coasters any more.
Taiwan

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
gavin said:
Ok, not to be a bitch or anything, but to everyone saying Wild Asia as best 2010 addition... Really?
I know grey isn't everyone's favourite colour scheme, but you have to admit Chessie's gone all out on the theming. You turn the corner and it's a whole new land they've made. Also, one word...LORIKEETS!!!

On a different note, I forgot to put in my other surprise of the year, which was Disney HK (edited now). I was so expecting to hate Disney and write it off as corporate whoring of the worst kind, but I was suitably impressed with the theming and effort that's gone into the park. I can't wait to try the European/US versions, which can only be better on a larger scale. Ohh and the absolute joy that was Space Mountain <3. I gotta find that music....

jokerman

Giga Poster
^Wild Asia suffers from the fact that its built in a very open space. To really make it work, it needs to be overgrown with jungle plants, which they just can't do in that area.

Brookes

Giga Poster

California trip without a doubt, went to 6 brilliant parks, rode loads of great coasters, and got to see California!

Either V2: Vertical Velocity or Terminator Salvation: The Ride, they both seriously exceeded my expectations. TotT at Scarefest was also brilliant.

The only thing I've is Th13teen... though I don't think that is the best addition to be honest. It's between Intimidator, I-305 and Formula Rossa for me, I can't pick between them.

Probably having to miss out on some of the coasters at SFMM... mostly BTR. Also the Ultimate wasn't as good as I expected.

X2, absolutely blew me away.

Th13teen, that's it I think, I probably rate it higher than most people.

Alton Towers x16
Flamingo Land x1
Blackpool Pleasure Beach x2
Six Flags Discovery Kingdom x1
California’s Great America x1
Disney’s California Adventure x2
Six Flags Magic Mountain x1
Disneyland x2
Knott’s Berry Farm x1
Lightwater Valley x1

10 different parks with 28 total visits.

I didn't set myself a goal but I got more than I expected, and the most I've got in one year so far, 46 new coasters in total.

Yes it changed greatly:

2009 top 10;

1. Montu
2. Kumba
3. Nemesis
4. Kraken
5. Expedition Everest
6. Hulk
7. SheiKra
8. Stealth
9. Colossus
10. Silver Star

2010 top 10;

1. X2
2. Montu
3. Nemesis
4. California Screamin’
5. Kumba
6. Terminator Salvation: The Ride (Apocalypse)
7. Xcelerator
8. Kraken
9. Tatsu
10. SheiKra

I have no special coaster trips planned yet, so I don't know what 2011 will hold. Hopefully lots more Alton Towers as usual as it was fantastic this year. Maybe something will pop up out of the blue.

EDIT: Hopefully will finally get to a Live!

2010 was awesome!

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Definitely the Ghosterforce live. After an otherwise quiet season, Ghosterforce was a brilliant, antic filled gathering of quality people. What a great way to end the season.

Finishing up the season with a front row night ride on Nemesis was pretty special too.

Probably how terrible Th13teen turned out to be. Plus I've not been to Lightwater Valley at all this season. That's really out of character.

Internationally, probably Manta. That ride looks to be everything a good flyer should be, and the setting looks absolutely stunning. One of these days...

Within the UK, I'm going to be unoriginal and go with everyone else in saying Wild Asia at Chessington. Sure, it's just a re-painted Beanoland, and my thoughts were pretty much the same as Gavin's when I first saw pictures, but having been there in person, I think they've pulled it off quite well. Kobra fits really well with the area (especially with the huge snake heads at the end), the area feels pretty coherent, and somehow seems to manage to be more than the sum of its parts. And yes, it's nicer in the blazing summer sun than it is in the pouring rain. Yay for Ian's safari hats!

Th13teen. It could so easily have been a good ride. It was ****.

Saw: The Ride. The only other new coaster I rode in 2010. It's got a decent enough layout, but I'm really not a fan of the theme, and it gave me a splitting headache on one of my rides. It literally felt like my brain was ricocheting aroud inside my skull, so it's let down somewhat by the OW! factor.

Th13teen.

It's been a relatively quiet season for me. Alton x3, Blackpool x1, Thorpe x2, Chessington x2, Flamingo Land x1.

I didn't have a target as such, but I certainly didn't get to as many places as I'd have liked to. The Euro Live didn't happen, and I was hoping to attend several other Lives that just didn't happen (Pleasure Island, Fantasy Island, Adventure Island and Liesberg) for one reason or another (basically boiling down to me either being short on cash or travel being too much of a pain in the arse to make it worthwhile). Oh well, there's always next year.

With Th13teen and Saw? Hell no!

The Euro Live will be awesome if it goes ahead.

I'm hoping I'll get of my ass and visit some of the UK parks I've not been to yet. Unfortunately those parks are also ones that are a long way away and hence expensive to visit, or a pain in the arse to get to, or both. Oakwood, I'm looking at you.

Liesberg, Port Aventura and/or Heide Park would be nice, but those would require some serious organization on my part, and are hence unlikely.

RCF

Strata Poster

Probably my "ERT" on The Sombrero at SFOT with my friend Mason and my sister. Epic stuff

Definitely California Screamin'. I didn't have too high expectations, I just expected it to be kinda fun, but not nearly as fun as it was.

I'd probably say, Intimidator at Carowinds, purely because it brought a major coaster to an otherwise not too widely known park. But Formula Rossa comes in at a close second with I-305 behind it

Not being able to go to a Live. Broke my heart :cry:

California Screamin'. No doubt

Can't say I did

Visited SFOT many times, not exactly sure how many, and I went to Disneyland/California Adventure twice and Universal once

I didn't actually set one cuz I knew I wouldn't be going anywhere so no.

Nope.

My beautiful Texas Giant opening. Biggest thing right now. Cannot WAIT!!!

Texas Giant is going to be orgasmic. Snoo you better help me get those damn media day passes :wink:

Tomatron

Giga Poster

Going to some caravan site in Selsey with Ben (another one, not the CF mincer) and showing a n00b what a credit whore does.

Not missing going to parks. Yeah it's been strange, but I've done almost none this year and I've had no withdrawal symptoms!

Not Thirteen. Those water features in Blackpool were better.

Thirteen.

The coaster at West Sands, Selsey.

Thirteen. What a shame.

West Sands Funfair
Alton Towers
Blackpool Pleasure Beach

That was it.

Yes. I rode one.

No.

Getting back into doing it all again properly.

It's been sad only going to one Live this year, and I wasn't even around much for that one. Italy is going to be amazing, only 7 months to go!

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
I don't even have to think about this one. Easily the Alton/Drayton Live in March. Best weekend EVER.

Drayton Manor not being as awful as I remember it being. Maelstrom loves life.

Saw Alive at Thorpe, purely just because it's taken away A LOT of the queues on other rides. I have no desire to do it though because it looks dire and I think horror mazes are rubbish.

Thirteen. I got put off after watching the GMTV exclusive footage, but then when I rode it for myself at the CF Live I facepalmed on the brake run. Stupid glorified kiddy coaster.

Definitely Nemesis at Alton. Oblivion and Air really wowed me too, and still do.

Ugh, Thirteen.

Thorpe x 17
Alton x 3
CWoA x 4
Adventure Island x 1
Drayton Manor x 1

I didn't set one...although I'm quite happy with going from 9 to 31.

Yeah, I hadn't been to Alton before this year so Nemesis went straight to #1, and all the other Alton coasters topped the Thorpe ones, except Rita and Thirteen.

THE ITALY LIVE!!!!!111!!!!123wtf?!

Paradox the Huskyyyyyyyyy <3 That is all.

Nic

Strata Poster
What was your favourite moment of the 2010 season?
Possibly everyone singing the Vadge song at the end of the Drayton live :) Having 9 of us in a boat on the AWESOME rapids at Bagatelle was also fab
Oh, and Jake having trouble "getting [his] leg over" on the bat flier at Plopsa... and the fact that the entire queue also found it hilarious.

Just how awesome rolling launch coasters are. Formule X made me VERY happy indeed, and Anubis is fab (although Gerstlauer concussion can **** off)

Wild Asia - I know Gavin doesn't like it, and a few others were disappointed, but I think it signals a turn in the right direction for Chessie. Plus, Beanoland was vile. Also, as Ian said there's the OmgISawThisBeingBuiltAndI'veTouchedOneOfTheSnakesHeads factor, can't deny it.
I'm also going to defend thOMGteen. No, it's not an enthusiasts ride. Yes, the marketing/theme choice was SHOCKING. No, its not one of Wardley's finest moments. But, is it a good addition to the park? Yes, I really think it is (at least, it would've been had they not ****ed up the marketing so royally). In a year or two, once people have realised it's not got an age limit, and its actually not that scary, it will become the great little family coaster that the park needs. The throughput is spectacular, and for that alone they should be commended. Sitting at the back, I genuinely find this a really fun little coaster. The drop and backwards sections are brilliant. If everyone could just see it for what it is - a crowd munching fun little family coaster - then they'd realise that it's good for the park.

Missing so much of the season. As most of you know, I was out for 3 months in the middle of the summer after surgery on my foot. This meant I missed a fair few of the lives, and didn't get to half of the UK parks that I would've liked to. Still, it just means I'm even more excited about next season... and should hopefully be in less pain when it gets here!

Probably Formule X. OK, so that's mainly because I don't have many to choose from, but I really think it's a fantastic little ride. The launch is not the most powerful, but its effective. The elements are cool, and there's enough variety throughout. Plus, it's really smooth. My only criticism really is that its too short... but, that said, the amount they cram into such a small space on what is, effectively, a travelling coaster, is incredible. My only other issue would be throughput, but it doesn't seem to be a problem there because its such a small park. Plus, as its so short a ride, and the loading is pretty good, for a ride that only seats 6 at a time, the queue does disappear surprisingly fast. But yeah, that would be my main reservation about them getting one (of this small scale, at least) anywhere else.

Yeah, ThOneThreeTeen

Drayton Manor, Adventure Island, a few trips to Thorpe, a couple to Alton and Legoland, quite a few to Chessie, and popped into Hayling Island one day too.
New parks for me this year: Southport, West Sands, Harbour Park, Bagatelle, BobbieJobbieLand, Duinrell (x2), Drievliet, Plopsaland De Panne (x2)
Wow, that's a fair few when put like that. Shame it really doesn't feel like it.

I guess. I wanted to make sure I got past 150, and I got to 162, so, yeah. Question is, can I possibly make 200 in 2011?

I don't keep a top 10

Getting to new parks that I've not visited before. In terms of coasters, there's a few: the launched x-car at GayRainbowLand, X-Raptor and the duelling woodie at Efteling.

And anything else you might want to add
I know I've already mentioned it, but I really can't wait for next season. I'll get the chance to visit some of my favourite UK parks that I didn't get to this year. Plus, I'll hopefully get to a load of new European ones, too. Awesome :)

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Nic said:
If everyone could just see it for what it is - a crowd munching fun little family coaster - then they'd realise that it's good for the park.
No, Mine Train Ulven is a (potentially) crowd munching fun little family coaster. Th13teen is dire, but could be much better with a few minor tweaks that are never going to happen. Its sole redeeming feature is that it keeps the queues down on other rides, particularly on Rita first thing in the morning.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Gavin provided my two favorite moments during the Live: his infectious giggle at watching 'lil taint' & his rant at the clerk that refused to sell him any alcohol. Both were priceless.

Powder Keg! Quirky, fun & full of airtime... wasn't expecting anything like that at all.

Harry Potter is probably the most obvious, but I guess it has to be the Intimidators. One for being so controversial & keeping the spotlight on Kings Dominion throughout the year into 2011 and the other for putting Carowinds on the map.

The cancellation of the Euro Live.

Prowler - really enjoyed it.

Quite a few. I have to update my list in that topic.

Lots

No. I didn't get anywhere near as many new credz I planned on because of the Euro Live cancellation & the USA Lives forcing me to postpone my Texas trip.

No.

The Euro & USA Lives plus the chance to get to a few UK parks with some of you.

Looks like 2010 was a mixed bag for CFers. It was a good year for me with loads of time with friends & family at some of my favorite parks. Hooked up with Jordan for a day at SFGAdv, had a great time with Snoo at Sky Rocket media day & CP's Coastermania, spent a good chunk of the summer with Gavin (plus Brad & Hixee), met Jer at SFGAdv & topped it all off in Germany with UC! With 2 epic USA Lives, I got to spend more time with my CF friends than I could have imagined!

marc

CF Legend
I totally forgot about Harry potter land lol, yes that's the best addition to a park. Just a shame the rest of the park now sucks.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
not falling in a pool at liseberg!

Nemesis not having loast any of it's appeal (and going up my top 10)

Probably something I made in RCT3

not making as many trips due to being on the dole

balder, followed by liseberggbanan

just liseberg and towers

didn;'t set one due to being a doley

nemesis has shuffled up to number 2 - still totally awsome

money permitting - I'd love to do heide and hansa again, and I haven't done blue fire yet.

Either way - there's a coach trip to asterix I wanna do

wibble.