What's new

Another killer whale incident

CMonster

Giga Poster
From Screamscape.

"Sunday was another sad day for SeaWorld Orlando’s Shamu family as Taima (Tai), a 20 year old Female, died from complications involving the birth of a stillborn calf. Park veterinarians attempted to assist but the complications were too severe."

That's really sad, I hope the calf's okay.

Yeah, so, discuss and all that.

nealbie

CF Legend
Mike said:
Although it's nothing unusual for any mammal to have a stillborn, it's still sad that the whale died from one at still such a young age.

20 is bloody old for an Orca in captivity to be fair.

Mike

Giga Poster
Hmmm, I've just read at various sources that life expectancy in females can get up to as much as 90 years old in the wild.
If life expectancy falls THAT much when put into capitivty, then that's quite ridiculous. :?

Marine biologist, I am not though.

nealbie

CF Legend
Yeah, it's bloody tragic to be fair mate. I remember from the last topic that I found the average age in captivity to be 15 - FIFTEEN! It's a disgrace.

It actually shows that these animals really shouldn't be kept in captivity even if they are happy - it's really bad for their health! It's the same principle as a morbidly obese man being happy with the way he is - it's still epically bad for his health and will kill him.

It was originally 7/8 years for the first couple of generations of captive Orca's and whilst it is has been doubled to 15, that's still a sixth of the projected life expectancy! Sucks balls in my opinion :(

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
And the prize for most misleading topic title goes to...

An animal dying isn't ANYTHING like the incident a few months ago. I'm not sure it even warrants a topic at all really, other than to possibly reignite the "should they be in captivity" discussion.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
gavin said:

An animal dying isn't ANYTHING like the incident a few months ago. I'm not sure it even warrants a topic at all really, other than to possibly reignite the "should they be in captivity" discussion.

Nah, the calf was still born because the Orca used to love going on Manta! Don't ride while pregnant! I don't care if you're a huge marine mammal and can't read, do what the sign says!

Sadly the ride ops had problems turning away several tons of fish smelling dolphin.

If only B&M didn't make fat boy restraints it would all be good now...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
CMonster said:
gavin said:

I try. :wink:
It's nearly as bad as making a General Polls topic with an innuendo based title so people click it.

Aside from that I have nothing else to add except that the Japanese residents in Orlando probably ate well that evening.

The Deadman

Mega Poster
Ian said:
CMonster said:
gavin said:

I try. :wink:
It's nearly as bad as making a General Polls topic with an innuendo based title so people click it.

Aside from that I have nothing else to add except that the Japanese residents in Orlando probably ate well that evening.

LOL too soon dude...too soon...i think

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ok, sorry...!

The Japanese residents of Orlando will probably eat well in a few weeks time.

That better? :wink:

tks

Strata Poster
Too soon? It's a ****ing whale. Get over it. (Ian <3)There are plenty more in captivity for you to gawp at.

Trying not to drag it up but... Yeh.. This is what happens when you keep whales in concrete bowls.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Anyway, the Japanese don't kill them for food; they kill them for scientific research.

tks

Strata Poster
gavin said:
Anyway, the Japanese don't kill them for food; they kill them for scientific research.

And the Pope performed an abortion whilst holding a gay marriage whilst covering up paedophiles in the church..

Actually that last one is true.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It IS true: they're researching how many whales they can kill and consume in a year.