What's new

Another "fat person denied ride" story <3

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
This isn't news as fatties get turned away on a daily basis, but I like reading these articles for a chuckle.

I understand being denied a coaster ride, but a carousel walk-of-shame is taking it one step too far! She must be a whale!

http://www.thelocal.se/41946/20120710/
A Swedish woman was denied entry on to a roller coaster at an amusement park in western Sweden after ride attendants told her she was too wide to ride.

Stina Andersson, a 28-year-old from Stockholm, was on a trip with friends to Liseberg, an amusement park in Gothenburg.

However, after waiting 30 minutes in line to ride one of the park’s main attractions, the "Balder", staff members refused her entry onto the ride, telling her that her waist line did not fit within the restrictions for the theme park’s safety routines.

Later, the 28-year-old was also left sidelined as her friends enjoyed the carousel, with staff also telling her she was too big for the ride.

“I felt offended, and people stared,” she told the Aftonbladet newspaper.

Andersson, who paid 375 kronor ($54) for the day, was unimpressed when her request for a refund was turned down.

“You pay a lot of money to be there for a whole day. I paid to go in and ride and that didn’t happen,” she told the paper.

Agneta Caspersen, information officer at the theme park, explained that each ride has its own safety restrictions and that weight has little to do with it.

“Each attraction has a safety belt, or a strap that must be able to be closed. It depends a little on how the kilogrammes are divided,” she told the paper, adding that that it’s impossible to set a weight limit.

Bo Larsson, head of the park, explains that a weight restriction is a precarious undertaking.

“It’s sensitive and can be misinterpreted. What one possibly can inform is that certain rides have a waist circumference,” he told the paper.

Andersson has since received an apology from the park, as well as a free ticket back with a so called “quick pass” to speed up the waiting process at the rides.

She was also given a toy rabbit.

Love the end part - She has tickets for a return visit plus a fast pass so she can do the walk of shame ever quicker next time! And lol, toy rabbit <3

So there are fat AND dumb people outside of America? Who knew?

Winning article though.

They should have scrapped the toy bunny and given her food vouchers instead! that would have been great customer service.

This would be funny if it wasn't so infuriating. I hate that sense of entitlement that people have. She's the extreme exception to the rule, yet feels that it's someone else's fault that she can't ride. What does she want them to do if she won't physically fit into the ride?

Swedish Glutton said:
“I felt offended, and people stared,”

Pretty sure you're used to it, love. Use it as motivation.

Re: Another "fat person denied ride" story <3

Ive only ever done one walk of shame, and even then it never bothered me too much. Was more bothered I was denied trying the test seat for MF one year.

I still loved the read, and whilst she had to be embarassed...COME ON! If you struggle to button your pants cause your tum is in the way, or you got winded walking into the park, pretty sure common sense should kick in and say "I wont fit too many rides". I mean, how fat does one have to be to get spited on a **** merry-go round?!

We talking one too many bags of oreos or a jabba the hut impersonator?

The thing is, if manufacturers were to make bigger seats for people, in accordance with the increasing number of obese people and whatever, there's ALWAYS going to be someone bigger than it who can't fit in.

The other thing I've though about is that a lot of obese people count their problem as a disability, and claim benefits, get to use disabled parking, and whatever else because of their size. A lot of disabilities mean you are unable to ride a coaster, so if you're fat and count yourself as disabled then why would you expect to be able to ride anyway?

Silly fat people.

I do agree with everyone, that she has no one else to blame but herself.

However, maybe stupidly fat people should be discounted? Elderly people are discounted, so are small people (because they cant ride big rides), so why not fat people? Ok, I can see the entrace process taking a while with everyone having their guts measured up, but still.

^ Yeah, there really isn't a failsafe way of measuring it, unlike age or height.

Like they said in the article, not only does every ride have different seats/restraints, but people have different proportions.

Like, Afterburners spite big tits, whereas Colossus spites people with chunky legs (who might actually not be that fat, but a sexy Rugby player or something).

It would be impossible/pointless to measure people, or even weigh people, because of this.

At the end of the day, if you don't fit in a ride you don't fit. Maybe if you have bigger dimensions in a certain area it spites you from one ride, or if you're just generally **** huge you might not be allowed on anything.

Either way, tough titties. Perhaps one in a million obese people have some sort of 'genetic condition' that keeps them huge, but the other 999,999 need to start having a finger for dessert.

Wait a fast pass was inclued with her free ticket, but then she is too fat to ride a merry-go-round, I can see that she will get loads of use out of it. :roll:

I think manufacturers should be increasingly trying to find ways to keep the widest possible range of people safely in their seat. From really small kids, to above-average height people, to massive fatties. That is without a doubt a difficult thing to do though, but thing are getting better. But as Jake mentioned, there's no good reason half the people who get spited by Colossus should. That's just poor design.

I think a lot of the reason people get angry when their kids are too short is down to a misunderstanding of why they cannot ride. A LOT of people think height restrictions are like age ratings on films, not indicators of the restraints ability to keep them in their seat. And a LOT of people know full well out of common sense that restrictions on height or weight are obviously exaggerated, so what difference does an inch make? With those who are massively overweight, it's usually literally a case that they cannot physically fit... So they at least get to physically see why they cannot ride, and thus rarely kick up a fuss, just feel embarrassed... Maybe complain about the way it was dealt with.

Is it just me, or does it sound like from this report that she was told she couldn't before she even got on it? Especially regarding the carrousel. In ways that's good, because I feel that all too often people who are too large get to ride when they possibly shouldn't. If on an OSTR the seatbelt only JUST makes it and there's a lot of strain on it, for example, I wonder if when the restraints opened there could easily be enough force on it to open? I wonder,sometimes if those seat-belts actually cause more danger than they prevent.

Liseberg were actual dicks for giving her free tickets to come back though. That suggests to me that her complaint wasn't read. They should have ignored her complaint, frankly.

Snoo said:
So there are fat AND dumb people outside of America? Who knew?

Winning article though.

The non US dumb dumbs I knew about (thank you internet forums) but I honestly was unsure if fat people existed in other countries :lol:

Crazy stuff!

It's mostly through despicable neglect of your own body that you become too big to ride attractions. I have no sympathy for the stupid woman. She doesn't even deserve the toy rabbit lol.

That`s a bizarre form of compensation, a toy rabbit? I could understand if she was like 11 years old, but 28?

Colossus The Power of 10 said:
That`s a bizarre form of compensation, a toy rabbit? I could understand if she was like 11 years old, but 28?

Agreed, they should have sent her a real rabbit, stuffed with pearl barley and cheese :p

Oh, and my thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends at this difficult time [/anythingtomakeGavinhappy]

BUAHAHAHAHA :D

I really had to search for this "news" before I found it on any news site in Swedish. But if it were about an emergency stop of some minor reason on any ride, then they are really quick to shout doom and death...

Ethan said:
I swear websites for theme parks usually have restrictions for the rides?
Sorry in Sweden there are only posted length limits, since it would be "insensitive" to post any other limitations (according to the Liseberg press people). And there are only two rides at Liseberg that have test seats that I'm aware of and Balder is not one of them. And I'm pretty sure that they let her sit in the train and test with the belt extender before they said no, There have been a lot of other negative press around Liseberg over the past two years and this is just another article in that line.

Also apparently the "carousel" talked about in the article was Slängungan (Wave swinger).

bergochdalbana said:
Also apparently the "carousel" talked about in the article was Slängungan (Wave swinger).

Ahhhh, suddenly that makes a lot more sense...