What's new

Angry Birds landing at Lightwater Valley!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm reserving judgement as I've not been to either LWV or FL for a few years.

I've always had better "park days" at LWV, but ride wise it was poor. They've added a lot of rides since though, so we'll see.

FL I don't like as a "park day", but MMF loved it for all the attractions it offered him.

So I'll wait and see, but if LWV have this and the other rides which are "family", it could prove to be a great investment strengthening that.

DMP doesn't need this as it already has an extensive Thomas park area :)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I hate the way playgrounds are fenced off to keep kids contained and adults out. It's not really inviting.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Martyn B said:
I think this would be a good investment for somewhere like Flamingo Land and Drayton Manor. Both solid park's with a good selection of rides, and something like this would just enhance the day out for the littler ones.

But at Lightwater, I dunno.... I just feel that the £1m could have been better spent on many other rides/attractions.

I disagree, can't comment on Drayton so much as not been in years but at Flamingo Land they have;

HMS Bouncy (Soft Play area themed to pirate ship)
Splosh!
Astro Slide
Play-park in Zoo
Childrens Planet

At Lightwater Valley, I think they have a few slides e.t.c round the back of the park where Pub in the Wood is and a couple of baby roundabouts. Nothing else. Solid and much needed investment for the park.

Martyn B

CF Legend
You took my point too literally. I have no idea what play areas they have at Mingo, or Lightwater, but this whole investment (to me) seems like it would suit a park like Mingo, better than it would Lightwater.

If Lightwater doesn't have any play areas, then getting one is a good idea. But getting one for £1m, when it looks fairly basic (just with added green pigs)... it just doesn't seem like money well spent to me (for a park like LWV).

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Martyn B said:
If Lightwater doesn't have any play areas, then getting one is a good idea. But getting one for £1m, when it looks fairly basic (just with added green pigs)... it just doesn't seem like money well spent to me (for a park like LWV).
I'd imagine the Angry Turds license would have chewed up a lot of that £1,000,000 budget.

Besides, how far can £1m realistically go nowadays? A few spin & spews? Perhaps a rusty Schwarzkopf "classic"? LWV needs neither.

This isn't going to set the world alight with excitement but it is NEW and it is a step in RIGHT direction by filling a gap that LWV are currently missing.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Stafford spent £3 million on the new park for the town centre. It's a play area like this, one of those water play things, a sand pit and skate "bowl". So yeah, £3 million doesn't get you much (particularly with pockets to line ;) ), so I'll bet £1 million was easily spent.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I dunno, didn't the whole Skeleton Cove project cost around £1m?

And the £1m doesn't have to be spent on rides, it could have gone on the infrastructrue of the park, like branding, merchandise, improving food outlets etc (cleaning the toliets ;) ), a ride refurb of two?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
They could have used the one million pounds to extend t'Ultimate!!!!!!11!!!!

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
Thing is Skeleton Cove for a million added next to no extra visitors. This will add another 100k easily, be open all year around, and open a massive revenue stream. It isn't for us chaps, but may well be the thing that generates the cash for the things we actually want to see, and stop the park go the way of Camelot.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^^HOW?!

I know I'm repeating what I've already said, but HOW is a kiddy playpark, available for free pretty much anywhere that has houses, going to generate more visitors?

It's not a new "land" in the sense that Thomasland was for Drayton. It's a glorified swing set.

spud

Roller Poster
100k maybe abit of an exaggeration, but i would think that it will increase visitor numbers and revenue.

It's easily marketed and great addition to the younger audience, who will no doubt spend hours playing on it. There's also a Angrybird shop which i've heard is doing well, once the activity parks open, no doubt it's revenue will be even greater. There's also a new cafe with an indoor play area, which seems another good idea to earn more revenue.

Definitely a good move in my opinion, will be no doubt popular as the park has no other play areas in the park. Although it's just a playpark, it does carry a fairly powerful 'sponsor'. Hopefully will generate alot more revenue for the park, leading to better things.

Martyn B

CF Legend
There's also a new cafe with an indoor play area, which seems another good idea to earn more revenue.

Yeah you're right, but do/will they actually accept card payments?

That's one of my biggest gripes with LWV, you cant pay with card! (apart from entrance fee)

marc

CF Legend
See I look at this and look at what Oakwood have done.

Had they done what Oakwood have done then yes I think it would bring more people in, but I really don't think this will.

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
100k is only a lot if you forget that LWV have massively underachieved for at least the last 10 years. It's all about brand awareness than anything else, and a good portion of those who come will be those who forgot all about the park. Sundown did massively better out of the licence, and I see no reason to see differently here. Unlike Oakwood, the location and ease of access to the park should make it a good destination visit this year for a lot of young families with kids not quite ready for big rollercoasters yet.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but remember the (at the time) borrowed crappy rapids ride added nearly 30k to the figures, this SHOULD see at the very least that, but I honestly think they will do a lot better out of it - if they actually market it.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^See, I'm not sure that they really should market it, which I know might sound stupid, but let me explain.

They would have to spend money they clearly don't have (unless the £1 million pound budget is allowing for some of it) to sell a product that could potentially really piss people off. They're never going to spend money to advertise a basic play park, so they'd have to go along the route of "Angry Birds Land!!!!" and really oversell what they have. Yes, that's what advertising mostly is, but not to the extent where you'd advertise it as a whole, themed experience and then present your customers with a few swings and a cafe.

If they did advertise heavily, then yes it would bring people through the gates, but they would have to exaggerate the product to the point of basically lying to make it worth while, which then would lead to a lot of disgruntled customers, which is not good business. Ultimately, this is unmarketable.

It's a nice little addition to the park and will be welcomed by regular guests or new visitors with very young kids; it's not a "destination" attraction like, say, Thomas Land at DMP.

They'll make money through the souvenirs and through the cafe, sure, but not to the extent that there'll be enough to finance any major new attractions.

It is what it is: a cute area for little kids to run around in while the older kids go on a bigger ride and Mum and Dad have a coffee. Mum and Dad aren't going to take their toddlers there especially.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
This will improve the over all experince of the park, what's important though, if the little kids love the play erea, if may bring a few families back to the park, or even invest in an season pass, yess they aren't just coming for the new 'land', but it will make the overall experence a little better.

Hey anything is better than field though. :p

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's good to see the park get some coverage from national media organisations. I hope it leads to increased gate figures.

In theory it should be a a good year for theme parks. Long term weather forecast is dry (but impossible to confirm) and there are no major sporting events to distract people.