Hyper Poster
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

FaceYourNemesis said:
scw55 said:
I've stopped caring about the 'secret weapon'

Secret weapon or secret element?

Element.

But, my use can be seen as correct.

With a Swordsperson, what is the weapon? The sword, or the person hired to use the sword?

So far, the 'secret element' part of the rides is the secret weapon. Just with Thirteen is rather formalised "secret element" to be "track element" as opposed to "potentially any aspect of the ride".

Just feels like there isn't much to talk about with regards to any potential secret elements. Or other more certified aspects are a lot more interesting.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

elephant58 said:
I think Vekoma's are classed as flyers, but generally, alot of people consider B&M's as being the first proper flying coasters, as you start and spent the majority of the ride in the prone position.

Vekoma considers their coasters as flying, they call them Flying Dutchman. The only difference is the in boarding, apart from that, they do similar things.

rcjp

Roller Poster

Yes vekoma had the original idea, that's true but you do spend considerably more time actually "flying" on B&M flyers than on vekoma's where you are lying for some time. I guess that's why some call air the "first proper flying coaster"

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

I guess we all have our own opinions, but the fact is, Vekoma produced the first successful flying coaster.. But if we're really being picky, Granada Studios in Manchester did it first. This coaster stays "lying down" all the time, surely this makes it the first flying roller coaster? By your definition of a flying coaster - it does.

Skytrak:
http://rcdb.com/2380.htm

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Was Air ever actually classed as a "World's First" or is it one of those fantastic coaster urban legends?

Here's the 2001 billboard:
normal_airmarketing_04.jpg

Doesn't mention it being a world first at all - neither does the 2002 park map. I don't know where it was actually "advertised" as a world first? Was it simply reported (incorrectly) in the press?

B&M certainly don't advertise it as such, but Vekoma DO lay claim to the world's first "true" flying coaster and it seems that Vekoma or the crap Granada ride are generally regarded as being the world's first.

It just seems to be something people always say it's claimed, but I can't find the evidence to back that up. It may be there, but unless it's an official Alton Towers press release or something, then it was never officially classed as a world's first and enthusiasts have just been wrong for 11 years :p

Robbie

Hyper Poster

furie said:
Was Air ever actually classed as a "World's First" or is it one of those fantastic coaster urban legends?

Here's the 2001 billboard:
normal_airmarketing_04.jpg

Doesn't mention it being a world first at all - neither does the 2002 park map. I don't know where it was actually "advertised" as a world first? Was it simply reported (incorrectly) in the press?

B&M certainly don't advertise it as such, but Vekoma DO lay claim to the world's first "true" flying coaster and it seems that Vekoma or the crap Granada ride are generally regarded as being the world's first.

It just seems to be something people always say it's claimed, but I can't find the evidence to back that up. It may be there, but unless it's an official Alton Towers press release or something, then it was never officially classed as a world's first and enthusiasts have just been wrong for 11 years :p
The fact Alton's banner says "New generation flying coaster" suggests they knew there was an old generation flying coaster.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I remember that billboard! And thinking to myself "I wonder if it's like those things in rollercoaster tycooon."

I think Phil's right, Air wasn't ever marketed as a world's first. But I'm SURE Wardley has referred to it as one.

I mean, even this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... c41w#t=83s

Okay he doesn't say the RIDE is a world's first, but he says it's the first time the experience has been available. Which is kinda true, but kinda ...misleading?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

See, that could come down to the fact Wardley was working on Air for a long time with B&M, but during the development process, Vekoma beat them to the punch. So maybe John didn't realise there was a Vekoma version out there or was still in the "we're building the first one" mindset - simply because he'd spent so long working on it?

I'd be very intrigued if anybody could find official Alton PR that states it is a world's first. Interviews with John Wardley aren't "official PR" - they're covered by a "The opinions and comments made by interviewees aren't the official opinions or stance of Alton Towers" clause somewhere I'll bet.

Guaranteed to be the root of the "claim" though and that in 2002, even the coaster enthusiast world was still so tiny that people in the UK just didn't know about the Vekoma version.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

The 2010 park map didn't show Thirteen as being a world's first and neither does the 2013 one to the Smiler. Even if the park didn't release this, Air was certainly the world's first B&M flyer, maybe not the first 'true' one.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Yes, but all the PR documentation did with 13 and they are with The Smiler.

It may be that Alton did it with Air too, but I'd like to see evidence of it.

The point is, that Air is not and was never the world's first flying coaster. Being the first of a model also doesn't make it special - especially if you're copying Vekoma and only open a matter of weeks before another version in the States ;)

Rach

Giga Poster

I may have just screamed a little... :oops:

861045_10151510667781201_1503244215_o.jpg

601134_10151510667091201_1651476877_n.jpg

Another update from Alton over on their FB page.

More I see of this and the more I play that damn game, the more I'm looking forward to riding this!

Smithy

Strata Poster

Oh my.

Won't be long before the pit for the knot is full of caps, mobile phones, phlegm and spare change.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Brilliant, really brilliant looking coaster.

What I really love though is the way Alton are trolling Tower's Times. TT post a "hint" that they'll be giving a new update that day and "BAM!" Alton have a new of close up shots for us to drool over beforehand :lol:

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Is this the 3rd longest coaster in the UK? I assume Big One is second, after Ultimate?

I can't believe it's like 4000ft in such a tiny space. It's actually insane.

RobJackson85

Roller Poster

furie said:
Brilliant, really brilliant looking coaster.

What I really love though is the way Alton are trolling Tower's Times. TT post a "hint" that they'll be giving a new update that day and "BAM!" Alton have a new of close up shots for us to drool over beforehand :lol:

After all they did in covering the 1st barrel roll too!

However, one of the team over there say that in their update, there is more too see.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

I bloody love it. That is all.

marc

CF Legend

I'm actually looking as forward to this as I did The Swarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.