Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Re: New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

I guess there's no reason Gerstlauer can't make longer cars, or Intamin shorter ones (are the trains on Mega-lites shorter than standard Intamin airtime machines?). It's not like the companies are run by Hitler or anything.

Any more clues on the manufacturer? I guess we'll just have to wait and see if any tri-track shows up on site or not. I love the way the track curves off the second drop. Is it parabolic? Could get some decent willy-lift I think as it heads down to the ORP hut.

I think the idea of it being a launch is a little burdenous, it's just people trying to shoe-horn in a world 1st when we don't even know this is a secret weapon. At least the idea of some kind of Hyper coaster is out of the window to stop people from going on about how good/bad B&M are at making them.

I do wonder, with The Swarm being quite light on theming if Merlin will make much effort in terms of theming here, or will we see a Disney like effort from them with the new Nemesis ride that can get us wet with excitement? I guess we'll really have to wait until the CF-Live in 2013 to find out. Though maybe the scare maze that was on the site could direct us towards some idea of quality?

Lofty

CF Legend

Yeah, I personally don't think this will have a launch. I'm not totally against it, but I highly doubt it having one. In my opinion, this could be a new type of Gerstlauer coaster. I've looked at the plans and such more today and it could possibly be a Gerstlauer coaster with a longer train then the Eurofighters. I mean, this could kind of explain the reason in which we're not seeing a beyond Vertical Drop and more of a "normal" drop? - Just a thought, don't get all Nazi on my ass ;)

davidm

Strata Poster

This looks very nice;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOFUNyo-MKY[/youtube]

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

POV is at 02:55

**** hate these videos for that...

I think it looks quite good. It looks nice and long, which is something that I'd kinda like to see at Alton. Hopefully this will ride well too. Promising...

Martyn B

CF Legend

That video makes it look likes its designed for the trains to duel in the exact same way that the Schwartzkopf was designed, before Nemesis.

Aaron

Hyper Poster
New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

If that is what we're getting then I officially don't care what manufacturer it turns out to be!

That looks amazing! Kudos to them for making the recreation, but minus several million for the crap opening credits lol

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

I'd fly across the pond for that.

Hmm... Wouldn't that video technically be a pre-creation?
;)

Lofty

CF Legend

rollermonkey said:

I wouldn't go THAT far. ;) If you're going to come all that way, the park itself is worth it.

That's actually only one of a lot of Pre-Determinded No Limits Coasters. That's the one that's had a LOT more work put into it. It's a shame that they didn't work longer on smoothing the track ;)

Robbie

Hyper Poster

I like that video, but the creator should try it with a few different train types. I can't see Alton building a coaster with such low capacity.

nadroJ

CF Legend

^Pretty sure the video was to demonstrate how the layout would look, as opposed to trying to simulate what kind of capacity would be suitable for Alton.

NL goons </3

Robbie

Hyper Poster

nadroJ said:
^Pretty sure the video was to demonstrate how the layout would look, as opposed to trying to simulate what kind of capacity would be suitable for Alton.

NL goons </3
Oh aye, and the layout looks great - but as it does show the 'dueling' element, they should give it a go with different trains. The lazy sods :wink:

Nic

Strata Poster

Am I the only person who watched that and thought "OUCH!" to some of those corners? Particularly the last one before the vertical lift, and the S-bends right at the end of the ride.

Josh73

Giga Poster

It was rough at some spots, but it was a good pre-creation.

Brett7710

Mega Poster

^^ Nope, I thought that aswell after watching it a few times.

For the last week or so i've been hoping it would be a vertical launch, but after watching that video i'm with Furie and Lofty in thinking it's not going to happen. I hadn't fully realised the duelling potential, I think a launch would just mess up the timing too much, you'd end up sat on the blocks waiting for the next car to reach the top of the lift hill.

I also like the look of the airtime before the Cobra roll and Batwing, but OTSR on a eurofighter car would kill that part, whereas the X-car could pull it off better.

I'm impressed with the longer layouts from AT, with this and Thirteen they didn't just go for Lift hill/launch, ride section, brakes, station. Its quite refereshing.

Would this be the only coaster in the UK other than the ultimate that will have two seperate lift hills?

marc

CF Legend

Was a good pod to get the idea of the layout, am now 100% sure though that it won't have them trains if it is made by them as they are just wrong or that layout.

To do them corners with Eurofigher trains would just be silly, as people have said ouch.

I am still not sure the 1st lift hill is a lift hill and I think it will launch just out side the station but still in the dark with hopefully some theming in there and a story.

The layout looks great though, will probably end up being the 2nd best ride in the park after Nemesis.

The bends and the airtime hills have Intamin written all over them, but other firms are more than capable of doing the same things.

The layout does point to small trains as they will take the inversions better.

Also its not confirmed that coaster will be duelling, it will just be trains loaded up and sent when the 1st train passes the block section. Going by this there are only 2, the 2nd lift hill and the brakes at the end. The 2nd train can only go once the 1st train is at the vertical hill.

With this layout if its correct only 2 trains can be on track at anyone time, throughput will be bad if they only have 8 seater trains. There must be a block section somewhere else even Saw has more than this.

Nic

Strata Poster

The corners don't look any tighter than on Saw's really... hence me thinking it was gonna hurt

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I don't think it's going to be comfortable regardless of who it's built by, to be honest. But I think whatever happens the trains will seat more than the usual Eurofighter 6 or 8.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

-lofty- said:
rollermonkey said:

I wouldn't go THAT far. ;) If you're going to come all that way, the park itself is worth it.

That's actually only one of a lot of Pre-Determinded No Limits Coasters. That's the one that's had a LOT more work put into it. It's a shame that they didn't work longer on smoothing the track ;)

Well, I've been to Alton twice before, so it takes a bit more for me to want to get back.

I thought the track seemed pretty smooth, but then I'm not half that good with NL.

Now, here's to hoping that these plans drop in the Ropers' lap and they die of heart attacks.
:p

nealbie

CF Legend

Haha! Very tempted to go plonk some Piraten plans on their doorstep because we know that's what we really want to see built!

We shortlisted the manufacturer yet? :p

Lofty

CF Legend

nealbie said:
Haha! Very tempted to go plonk some Piraten plans on their doorstep because we know that's what we really want to see built!

We shortlisted the manufacturer yet? :p

There's been a few shortlisted, on the previous pages, guessing you didn't read them? ;)

For your lazy-self - So far people are spectating at either Maurer or Gerstlauer.

Status
Not open for further replies.