What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lofty

CF Legend
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

I'm totally with you Marc, I also find it cheating at the record too. Oh well, the rest of the coaster looks like fine though.

Smithy

Strata Poster

I think it's genius tbh. Couple it with Thirteen, and then think of the park and it's coaster line up as a whole, and it really does stand out on it's own.

JUST NEEDS A WOODY NOW

loveagiga

Roller Poster

I think its genius too! Parks are always in competition to who will have that year's headliner, & Alton will have it if this rumor is truth. As one said, you add this to the lineup, you have an impressive one...to me its already impressive so this just makes it epic. Btw, yes the Alton woodie NEEDS to happen. Just need a prefab intamin prob or those #$&@! Will have somethin to say yet again about noise. :/

I still am thinkin this is Maurer Sohne though. ;)

Martyn B

CF Legend

I think its kinda pointless and doesn't really add anything to the ride. Seems very random.

Also, going by that video, how would peopel be able to see it through the shop floor?

Smithy

Strata Poster

Martyn B said:
I think its kinda pointless and doesn't really add anything to the ride. Seems very random.

Also, going by that video, how would peopel be able to see it through the shop floor?

Depends, if the track before/after it drops or climbs then a window at train level would see it.

gopats1479

Mega Poster

That would be the single weirdest element on a roller coaster if it's true. And it cheats at the inversion record too.

Alton has sunk to a new low. And we thought Thirteen was bad...

Not that SW7 will be a bad ride without that: it just becomes another gimmick.

Smithy

Strata Poster

gopats1479 said:
That would be the single weirdest element on a roller coaster if it's true. And it cheats at the inversion record too.

What?

Bit soon to be judging it don't you think? Who cares if it's just another gimmick, Air was a gimmick, Oblivion was a gimmick. Gimmicks clearly work for them, if it's used as well as it sounds then Alton could have one of the most unique coaster line ups in the world.

loveagiga

Roller Poster

Smithy said:
gopats1479 said:

What?

Bit soon to be judging it don't you think? Who cares if it's just another gimmick, Air was a gimmick, Oblivion was a gimmick. Gimmicks clearly work for them, if it's used as well as it sounds then Alton could have one of the most unique coaster line ups in the world.

Holla! ;) aka, agreed!

Martyn B

CF Legend

If it really has to be Gerst, I just pray that they stick a first drop inside a la Saw.

nadroJ

CF Legend

I quite like trick track, but only when you don't see it coming! Yes, it's gimmicky, but what did we really expect from Alton, gimmicks are what they do, and in my opinion they do them well.

Still can't get excited about mud though I'm afraid, wake me up when there's some actual vertical track ;)

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

I can't imagine it spinning more than 2 or 3 times, just for throughput sakes but I still stick to my guns and say that it will exclude a lot of people from riding again. Its like when they turned the trains around to face backwards on Indiana Jones @ DLP. The queues after the first year were non-existant. People can only take so much before a ride becomes a chore and SW7 to me, lays in that category. Although, I am really excited. I'm a mixed bag of fruit and nut on this one.

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster

Inverse said:
They've obviously looked at Thirteen and thought to themselves: "What a fantastic success that was! It didn't have any teething problems at all... What other extremely complex mechanism could we install onto an otherwise perfectly good roller coaster to essentially stop it and turn it into a flat for a few moments?"

Thirteen's downtime wasn't due to the drop zone. It was due to over-speeding into lift two.

If anyone's interested, the new scare maze "The Sanctuary" is actually really cool. The whole backstory for the ride should be pretty awesome, as long as they actually include one.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

526_391543580916092_584283813_n.jpg

From Krazycoaster on Towerstimes
Construction is starting to move faster now. Clever, it gets us and the public hyped up about this big structure being built but seeing as the park will close soon we will feel even more determined to get images over the closed period if construction keeps on going at this pace.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Yay for what appears to be footers. Commence 10 pages of speculation.....

Now.

;)

Ethan

Strata Poster

I thought that was where the batwing thing will be?

Martyn B

CF Legend

Alton has finally spoken:

THE latest 'iconic' ride being built at Alton Towers is costing £18 million.

It is the biggest single investment on a ride at any Merlin Entertainments-owned tourist attraction in the UK.

Building work is continuing on the site of the new ride ahead of its opening to the public on March 16.

Now designers have revealed elements of the new rollercoaster, which officials hope will become as iconic as the existing Air, Oblivion and Rita rides.

The new ride will have:

A top speed of 85 kilometres-per-hour – 10kph faster than Air;

A highest drop of 30 metres;

A track length of 1,170 metres –three times the length of Oblivion;

A ride time of 165 seconds – three times longer than Rita;

A capacity of 64 passengers on each ride.

Alton Towers opened its latest attraction – Nemesis Sub-Terra – earlier this year.

But officials at the theme park say that next year's rollercoaster is on a different level.

It follows a review to make sure the tourist hotspot offered enough attractions for both adrenaline junkies and families.

An Alton Towers spokesman said: "It is felt Alton Towers is ready for a big investment and ready for a really big iconic ride.

"It has been 14 years since our last really iconic ride.

"Over the past few years we have been trying to strike the balance between being a family attraction and a site for thrill-seekers. We have now reached that balance."

The new ride – codenamed Secret Weapon Seven – will open on the site of the old Black Hole attraction.

Project designer Ben Dowson, who works for Merlin Magic Makers, said: "This ride is the largest investment ever put in to Alton Towers.

"Alton Towers has a good reputation as being a market leader and we are trying to push the limits with our rides.

"It is the biggest rollercoaster we have ever done at Alton Towers and it is not for the faint-hearted."

But theme park officials are still refusing to reveal what will make the ride a 'world's first'.

Alton Towers official Katherine Duckworth said: "Some details of the new ride are still a closely-guarded secret.

"We still cannot reveal the world's-first element."

Alton Towers – which employs 2,000 workers during the peak summer season – does not reveal its annual visitor figures.

But thousands of people were at the attraction over the weekend for the start of the annual Scarefest event.

Dozens more staff have been recruited to work during Scarefest, which includes an attraction known as The Sanctuary.

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/La ... story.html

Its good that they admit that they haven't added anything of note since 1998!

Top speed is quite disappointing, which must mean a long train? I guess 64 peope on the ride means 2 trains of 32...

I'm not thinking so much about Gerst anymore... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.