What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc

CF Legend
Re: New "world-first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

I dont know if this has been posted and tbh if it has been it was ages ago.

Its quite an interesting view on it and a view a lot of us have. I am aware aware as well there are views for and against btw.

http://parkthoughts.com/

Ben

CF Legend

TL;DR.

That article was quite good at summing up some of the interesting theories with this ride.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Ben said:

Pity because then you'd have seen it wasn't the following:

Ben said:
That article was quite good at summing up some of the interesting theories with this ride.

Essentially the article has picked up everything that has been discussed at length in this topic here and there. UC's response is a summary of why it doesn't add up and should be read as a solid counterpoint to his arguments. There's nothing in there that is a good argument for it being any manufacturer.

It's worth everyone reading both the article and UC's response to essentially summarise this topic so far :lol:

As it stands, it's still open as to what this coaster may be. There's been nothing yet that writes off Gerstlauer (certainly nothing in that article), and also nothing that actually writes off MS or Zierer in terms of studying the plans etc. It's still an open case (without getting into the "same manufacturer as Saw" discussion again).

Ben

CF Legend

furie said:
Ben said:

Pity because then you'd have seen it wasn't the following:

Ben said:

Essentially the article has picked up everything that has been discussed at length in this topic here and there.

Yeah, that was my point?

Point to the part where I say any of them are right?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Last post 16th March? Wow...

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/Al ... story.html

THEME park Alton Towers must shell out £100,000 on measures to ease traffic gridlock – before it can build its latest ride.

The payment is designed to compensate for the thousands of extra vehicles the new ride is expected to generate on the already traffic-choked country lanes.

It is predicted that traffic through the villages of Alton and Farley could increase by 150,000 vehicles a year – up to 5.5 per cent more at peak periods after the ride is unveiled.

Villagers have welcomed the imposition of the financial contribution on the theme park, which already has to pay £50,000 a year for road improvements.

But residents say they would still prefer a relief road as a long-term solution.

It has not been revealed what the £100,000 will be spent on.

The new Nemesis Sub-Terra ride will be built on the site of the Black Hole, which was taken out of use in 2005. It is being described as a psychologically and physically thrilling experience which takes place in a 'dark, intense underground setting'.

It is predicted to increase traffic on average by 234 vehicles per day – with 57 more in the morning peak hour and 65 in the departure hour on the busiest days of the season.

Alton Towers owner, Merlin Entertainments, has said it cannot justify spending an estimated £30 million on a relief road which it claims is only needed about six weeks a year.

Alton Parish Council chairman Fred Eyre said: "We need something doing to alleviate the horrendous traffic problems in the village.

"We have been fobbed off for long enough and want plans in the pipeline. We are not trying to put Alton Towers down. We are just fight our corner."

Fellow parish councillor Tony Moult added: "You cannot alter the traffic flow through Alton and Farley, the roads are not suitable. A bypass is needed to resolve the problem."

Villager Judith Brown, who has lived on the High Street for 25 years, has attended many meetings to discuss traffic problems in the village.

She said: "Traffic has increased a lot. They are old roads, and there are more vehicles and bigger buses.

"The coaches are the biggest problem. They used to park at the theme park, but now they come back through the village after dropping their passengers off. I sometimes see the same coach go past my house four times a day."

A decision on the planning application will be made by Staffordshire Moorlands District Council's planning committee on Thursday. Planners have recommended approval of the scheme on the condition that the £100,000 road improvements deal is in place.

The new ride is expected to increase attendance figures from 2.7 million in 2011 to 2.8 million in 2013. That compares with three million when the last new ride was launched in 2010. The theme park has also offered to spend £150,000 over three years on building restoration projects on the mansion ruins and Grade-I listed gardens.

nadroJ

CF Legend

Whoever wrote that got their wires crossed with the new coaster and SubTerra, obviously.

I still think Alton desperately needs what they've called a 'relief road'. The argument it is only really needed 6 weeks a year clearly doesn't hold up when you compare it to the complaints of the local people, it's just not fair on them and it would make access to Alton Towers SO much easier. Also, the less Alton pisses of the locals the more likely they are to get approval on stuff.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

How much money will Alton save on staff wages this season?

Just sayin'

Pierre

Strata Poster

I wonder what statistics they've used to actually compile that research? Sounds like a load of figures pulled out of someones arse.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

The new Nemesis Sub-Terra ride will be built on the site of the Black Hole, which was taken out of use in 2005. It is being described as a psychologically and physically thrilling experience which takes place in a 'dark, intense underground setting'.
Wait a minute... :?

marc

CF Legend
New "world-first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

£100,000 on roads. I'm no expert but there is no way anyone could build a relief road for £100,000 so it must be for repairs.

Or maybe extra lolly pop people to be on patrol at 4pm during school runs to cope with the extra traffic at a busy time of the day as the park now shuts lol

I wonder if they will pay £100,000 so they can build the new coaster. For me it's sort of a bribe but something needs to be done to help the traffic.

The verdict on the planning permission is due in 2 days, so I assume at the moment it's a no unless Alton agree to this. Or is it a yes as long as you pay £100,000.

But it's been said they did not need permission for this area so they could just say **** it and build it anyway?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

The roads round the park do need help, but I'm not sure what on Earth they could do?

Coming at the park from the north is easier than from the South which involves going through Alton town, so maybe it would in involve taking the traffic in a bit of a roundabout way?

T0M

Hyper Poster

Pierre said:
I wonder what statistics they've used to actually compile that research? Sounds like a load of figures pulled out of someones arse.

The ones that were submitted with the planning application, I believe!

Martyn B

CF Legend

£100,000 on roads. I'm no expert but there is no way anyone could build a relief road for £100,000 so it must be for repairs

It does say that the £100,000 is for repairs and Alton said they couldn't justify spending £30m on a relief road.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Yeah, didn't the council say it's an "all paid by Alton or nothing" thing. They wouldn't negotiate as it's "for Alton Towers".

The thing is, they were supposed to be investing £xx millions in restoring the conservatory and making it into a tea room in exchange for allowing Th13teen to be built, but they've still only done a bare minimum to secure the area. It's work that they could have completed in a single off-season, but they're obviously spreading the cost over years.

So they may just pay lip-service to this and then do the same kind of thing. I don't know what they want £100,000 for in terms of roads, but I assume patching holes and the like.

I'm pretty sure the submitted application said that they weren't going to significantly increase the amount of traffic. I'd have to read it all again and I'm very lazy today though.

Anyway, it's simple. Like "£2.50 entrance BUT THE GOVERNMENT FORCES YOU TO PAY THE EXTRA £40" type of signs, Alton will just have "CAR PARK INCREASE TO £100, BUT ONLY BECAUSE THE LOCAL BASTARDS ARE SAYING WE HAVE TO PAY FOR ROAD REPAIRS AND YOU PITA CUSTOMERS ARE THE CAUSE!!! PAY UP YOU PIGS!" signs up quick as you like.

marc

CF Legend
New "world-first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

Martyn B said:
£100,000 on roads. I'm no expert but there is no way anyone could build a relief road for £100,000 so it must be for repairs

It does say that the £100,000 is for repairs and Alton said they couldn't justify spending £30m on a relief road.

Yes I know was just saying though, I mean where did they pull that amount from. It's like they sat there and thought of a nice round figure lol.

Thing is I've been driving there for 17 years and the roads around the park are the same, so just where have they been spending the £50,000 a year?

Martyn B

CF Legend

^ Maintenance most probably. Its not the kind of thing you'd notice really. Like maintenance on rides, you dont really notice it that much, but if they stopped doing it, you certainly would.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Last winter they relaid the road on the hill between the bottom gate and the entrance. It had become rippled. So there IS work done relaying roads and the like on the off seasons, but that ripple had been there for about two years :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.