What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Re: New "world-first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

The Robo-Spider should look amaze with the track weaving in and out of it <3

However, urgh at the concrete box. Such uninspiring architecture.

Brett7710

Mega Poster

I'm picturing this theme as a warzone against an alien invasion, if they were consistent in making the ride duel with itself it could really work. Now imagine it with on board audio giving you a bit of a story and sound effects, paired with a little pyro it could be awesome. I'd imagine most companys could add on board audio to their cars, but those already thinking of MS might see this as another reason to believe it after Rip Ride Rockit. I wasn't sure if AT would go with it at first because you can never hear the story on Hex nowadays with people talking over it, but with the speakers built into the seats it would be a different scenario. I guess it all depends how much effort and cash they want to put into it, but looking at the proposed theming they don't seem to be holding back.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

Brett7710 said:
I'm picturing this theme as a warzone against an alien invasion, if they were consistent in making the ride duel with itself it could really work. Now imagine it with on board audio giving you a bit of a story and sound effects, paired with a little pyro it could be awesome. I'd imagine most companys could add on board audio to their cars, but those already thinking of MS might see this as another reason to believe it after Rip Ride Rockit. I wasn't sure if AT would go with it at first because you can never hear the story on Hex nowadays with people talking over it, but with the speakers built into the seats it would be a different scenario. I guess it all depends how much effort and cash they want to put into it, but looking at the proposed theming they don't seem to be holding back.

But they had to turn off the 'Don't look down' sound on Oblivion's drop due to excessive noise. And unless that isn't a problem anymore, I can't see how a constant audio track being repeated all day even closer to the village would work.

Brett7710

Mega Poster

I never went on Oblivion when they had that, didn't realise it ever did. I haven't been on a coaster with on board audio before, can you hear it much offride? I didn't think it would have to be too loud if the speakers are built into the seats next to the riders ears . . .

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

The Oblivion announcement was turned off "for making riders scream excessively". The actual announcement I don't think was ever really an issue. I can't remember being able to hear on-ride audio over general background noise before either.

marc

CF Legend
New "world-first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

If its an alien invasion its in the wrong part of the park.

This will probably themed like oblivion and be a science themed thing.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

furie said:
The Oblivion announcement was turned off "for making riders scream excessively". The actual announcement I don't think was ever really an issue. I can't remember being able to hear on-ride audio over general background noise before either.

Oh, I thought it was the announcement itself. My bad. Though, surely having cars with on-board would be quite loud. I don't know, I'd like for it to happen, But I can't see it happening. Besides, wouldn't that have been stated in the noise report if it were to happen?

marc said:
If its an alien invasion its in the wrong part of the park.

This will probably themed like oblivion and be a science themed thing.
Yeah, it does look sort of alien-esque, but my guess will be some sort of drill that will dig into Oblivion itself to 'rescue' all the people that have been lost over the years, or something like that?

Mark

Strata Poster

With Oblivion it wasn't cars with on-board audio though. It was just a speaker postitioned near the holding brake at the top of the drop. You couldn't hear the 'Don't look down' announcement unless you were on the ride itself.

nealbie

CF Legend

Ooooooo! Looks all shiny and Men in Black-esque!

NOICE!

Mark

Strata Poster

^ tehe, I thought the big spider thing looked rather 'The Incredibles' like.

So far I can't say I am over enamoured with the colour schemes and so on. The current X-Sector buildings are indeed grey, but have a rather 'clean' and futuristic grey look to them. This looks more like a knackered out warehouse grey style. I guess a bit of variation never hurt anyone though.

nealbie

CF Legend

I'm kinda hoping that's the point. Maybe this has something to do with the study or guarding of Oblivion. Like the stereotypical cheap outpost keeping an eye on the top secret government project.

I like it. And LOLZ, yeah I can see the Incredibles relation xD

Mark

Strata Poster

Hmmmm not at all like the rumoured original theme for Air then??? <3

nealbie

CF Legend

Haha, pretty much. Only this shouldn't look out of place in X Sector. ^_^

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

I'm liking the theming...but can't we have something happy for once? Or NOT black?

2009-Saw, Horror colour: black
2010-Th13teen, spooky(ish) colour:black
2011-Raptor, "Monster" themed colour: black
2011-Krake, "Monster" themed colour: black
2012-Swarm, Alien invasion themed colour: Grey (and black)
2013-SW7...you see where I'm going don't you????

Anyway, I'm fairly certain this will be an Intamin, rather than a Gert. It would make sense, since Intamin do multi - inversion coasters, with vertical lifts and vertical drops (they can do launches too). Fits the plans almost exactly and explains the reason why the drop isn't more than vertical. :--D

Thekingin64

Strata Poster

Don't know if this is of any relevance but I was at Alton today and Enterprise had been taken down. I don't know if it's for maintence or forever yet though.

Edit: Here they are!

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

Intricks

Strata Poster

Umm...you do know that Intamin has 2 rides with a beyond vertical drop...right? Plus, all Intamin rides with inversions hurt and rattle like all hell.

Im still placing my bet on this being MS with their new trains that have been showcased (their wing rider ones for lack of a better term).

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

marc

CF Legend

I have never found an Intamin with inversions hurt before apart from Baco but the inversion did not hurt just every thing else on the ride did lol.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

Just to be the only one suggesting it, I'm claiming PAX.

Less people to share the gloating rights with in case it turns out to be them.

TP Rich

Hyper Poster

To me, it seems very much like it will be a Gerstlauer, but I'm open to the possibility that it could be an Intamin, or any other manufacturer for that matter. To be honest with you, I'd rather just wait until it is confirmed and save effort on carefully analysing every square inch of the plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.