Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

No. The 18th is the date that several of my reliable sources have claimed. The 18th May opening has not been officially confirmed by the park and won't be until testing and H&S reports are complete. The 18th is the most likely.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Here's a bit of a random fact that has probably been spotted already. Feel free to be smug and say "I said that ages ago", but

a. I ain't trawling through 295 pages to check, and
b. I don't give a f**k.

With the addition of this ride, and its 14 inversions, Alton Towers will jump up to joint 4th place with Carowinds in the "park with the most inversions" list, just behind Cedar Point. It's currently in joint 18th with about 20 other parks.

Uhm, yeah, that's it.

Martyn B

CF Legend

I'm surprised that it was as high as 18th before, as Nemesis is the only true inverting coaster there.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^Yeah, but when you look at how many parks share a lot of the positions above it - about 75 - it's not really 18th anyway:

http://rcdb.com/ib.htm

With The Smiler, the list will be:

1. Magic Mountain
2. Thorpe Park
3. Cedar Point
4. Alton Towers and Carowinds

EDIT- Actually, I guess you'd have to swap Thorpe and Cedar Point around since they'll be adding Gatekeeper this year.

sparky2u

Mega Poster

furie said:
Maybe the band are just going through a rough patch? Just like the coaster will?

I just hope these 4 points are sorted out before the ride opens next month otherwise it will be a very rough coaster:

BBH

Giga Poster

What the bloody hell is that?

The engineer should be ashamed, lol.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

That's what happens when you don't carry enough significant figures kids! ;)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Perhaps I'm being ignorant, but is this not normal, then? Is this not rectified by extenders added to the supports and by regigging the layout so its evenly pulled?

Because, I fail to see how any amount of mathematics can truly account for real, physical, tangible factors that contribute to effecting something like this. Also remember the length of it, how intertwined it is, etc.

Not saying its intentional, but that its expected that it may happen?

Undoubtely either way it'll affect how it rides. If its even millimeters out of the original intended model, then ill ride different to intended. And how does that then affect the wear and tear? But I bet this is fairly common, we just don't usually see it?

I just hope they have the people, equipment and skills to sort this out and it won't delay it too much longer.

/ignorant

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Joey said:
Perhaps I'm being ignorant, but is this not normal, then? Is this not rectified by extenders added to the supports and by regigging the layout so its evenly pulled?

Because, I fail to see how any amount of mathematics can truly account for real, physical, tangible factors that contribute to effecting something like this. Also remember the length of it, how intertwined it is, etc.

Not saying its intentional, but that its expected that it may happen?

Undoubtely either way it'll affect how it rides. If its even millimeters out of the original intended model, then ill ride different to intended. And how does that then affect the wear and tear? But I bet this is fairly common, we just don't usually see it?

I just hope they have the people, equipment and skills to sort this out and it won't delay it too much longer.

/ignorant

No you're quite right. This is not particularly uncommon, and it happens in every field of engineering. If you ever get the chance, go look at how they balance jet engines. They make coasters look like Knex (in terms of engineering complexity) and yet they have to do a LOT of correctional adjustments to balance the engines. When you consider that they have to do this to every single engine they make (they're all meant to be 'the same') this sort of thing is not uncommon.

You can tell this isn't a big deal and was somewhat designed to happen by the fact that the support connector plate on the track doesn't have a mounting. It's just a ground surface so a welder can come in and connect the support. Ideally they would have been touching, but then you have to wonder how they'd put it together if everything fitted perfectly - they wouldn't be able to.

That being said, two things surprise me about this. 1) Maybe it's just because we don't get to see pictures of this sort of thing a lot, but those gaps seem pretty large compared to what I'd expect. I would have thought 1-2in tolerance would be normal, but this looks more like 5-6in. 2) I don't understand why this wouldn't have been sorted immediately. I understand how and why this happens, but I would have expected them to be able to correct it almost straight away. The way they advertised trackwork as being complete suggests to me they've left these for a while.

Joey is right, and I feel the need (it's only natural for me) to defend the engineers and construction workers, but it doesn't stop it being quite an interesting thing to see. I think if everyone knew just how much 'tinkering' goes into everything you use everyday, they you'd be shocked. This is not uncommon, not new and not a problem. It's just funny to look at.

Markeyed

Roller Poster

Block 'o wood and a welding rod will fix that... :p

scw55

Hyper Poster

Those appear to be a lot more terrifying than the elements themselves.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I asked someone I know today (a knowledgable enthusiast) who said...

With B&M, they don't set the footers completely until the very end and can move the supports up and down... Or something, only described way better.

Gerst's method is dumb and isn't as easilly rectified, but as Hixee says this isn't a sign that they cocked up.

Said individual also predicts it wont open till June.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

But they must have cocked up because only enthusiasts REALLY know anything about rides?

I believe the term, **** happens and causes delays that were completely unexpected really sums up this project...

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster

I fail to see the issue in the last pic, it just looks like the two track sections are off by a few mm, something that happens on almost every coaster and is fixed with a grinding wheel and a touch of fresh paint. The other pics though seem to be pretty huge missteps on the part of someone. I think that Gerst's way of setting footers is partially to blame, I believe there is no play in the support location and angle, compared to other companies which don't actually set the supports in permanently until everything is lined up.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

At the end of the day, the track is "set". The track has to connect together like a jigsaw and it will be engineered to very fine tolerances. The supports are exactly that, supports for the track. As long as the track connects together, then you deal with making sure the supports can do their job later on - they're the variable.

As has been said, it's interesting and unusual because we don't usually see it at the track connecting end as it's usually done at the footer end. Sadly it does mean it looks a mess :(

sparky2u

Mega Poster

That's an £18 million mess, :--D for that cost I would expect everything to be perfect, does not look good for the park or the coaster designer.

Status
Not open for further replies.