What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

Martyn B said:
^ No, that's a corkscrew.

I was talking about this, but apparently it's not trimmed, so nevermind:
159612d1364253914-2013-neuheit-smiler-secret-weapon-7-gerstlauer-alton-towers-uk-p1150228_zps4ebe5975.jpg

Those's support's are cute <3.

I hope they sort out the floor before they open this though, would look nasty if they just left it. I do understand that we are still in the heavy constuction fase at the moment, so don't bite my head off for that comment.

Screaming Coasters said:
Hmmm, this setup is weird... Why do these trims have pneumatics underneath them? Not seen that on a trim before..

Sure you have. All of the Intamin Accelerator coasters have magnetic brakes that are raised and lowered hydraulically in the event of a rollback. Since mag brakes can't stop a train, they are always trims as opposed to block.

These are probably magnetic trims, but the fins are on the train instead. The computer will raise or lower them depending on how many are needed as a factor of temps, etc.

That's my guess, at least.

Hopefully the trims won't cut out too musch speed. Well, as long as this is smooth, it should be an enjoyable ride.

rollermonkey said:
Sure you have. All of the Intamin Accelerator coasters have magnetic brakes that are raised and lowered hydraulically in the event of a rollback. Since mag brakes can't stop a train, they are always trims as opposed to block.

These are probably magnetic trims, but the fins are on the train instead. The computer will raise or lower them depending on how many are needed as a factor of temps, etc.

That's my guess, at least.

But on a launch, you're utilising the trims in a totally different environment that doesn't require the train to continue the circuit. Knowing that pneumatics require power to lower the fins - what if there was a power-cut and they all jump up in really cold weather? These trims require the train to complete the circuit, so in the event of said power-cut, the train could potentially valley? It's really odd place to be using a retractable setup and I wonder why they have opted for this?

Maybe they're just regular brakes? Rather than magnetic ones? So the pneumatics underneath open and close the brakes? Simple explanation for it really, lol.

There is no reason for the brakes to be on the train, rather than attached to the rails.

^ I don't think so. Those brakes are on a curve, which skids don't really work on curves. It has to be magnetic, which is true to Gerstlauer designs anyway. And who said the brakes were on the train? lol

They're actually just one of the managers packed lunches... They don't do picnics by halves at Alton ;)

They both look like a typical Eurofighter train.

BAHAHAHA! :lol:

Ohh god no. No no no no no no!
Bloody Eurofighter trains *cries inconsolably*

So, is this definitely a Gerstlauer then?

I'd love to see shrink wrapping machine they have to do that to the cars - that would be great fun to play with. We have one here that's like a roundabout from the 80's - only with less chance of death or severe injury.

I'll bet it's great fun seeing the cars getting all wrapped up - or have I spent too long working in the manufacturing industry?

FaceYourNemesis said:
Yes, but what about the secret element? :cry:

;)

Peppered mayonnaise?

I know they're possibly waiting until there's more track built or it it's finished, but does anyone else think it's odd that the marketing has gone very quiet.

There's been no real follow up to the displays or sheep and we know now that it's a world record breaker - why aren't they shouting this stuff from the rooftops? Possibly holding off for an official opening date? Still, it seems very mismanaged...

Status
Not open for further replies.