What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

I was messing about.

The delayed opening thing is old news now, but back then, there was a helluva lot of OUTRAGE all over the interweb.

The paint DOES matter - but not because they've simply missed a bit of paint - I don't care about that. It matters because of what it implies and represents - I DO care about that.

There's a thing called the Broken window theory which basically says that people will care about a neighbourhood less and not bother fixing things if they see that something is already broken. It applies to Merlin here - if they can't be bothered to finish off the paint job on Oblivion, when something else gets broken it'll be all to easy to think (subconsciously) "well it didn't matter for Oblivion so it won't matter for this" which leads to degradation of the area. On the other hand, if the area is finish properly and it looks amazing, then something breaks, the natural reaction is closer to "OMG - WE MUST FIX IT IMMEDIATELY!"

Colossus said:
No, I'm not fussed... To be fair though.... I would be pretty annoyed..... I would be pretty angry

general-outrage.jpg

^
It would be exactly like that haha

ANGRY DELAYED GATEKEEPER FACE!!!!

Crazycoaster said:
^ I don't see anybody "Exploding with outrage" in this thread?

People are making valid points, Joey merely pointed out the fail rate of the rides opening on time, and Smithy commented how people ARN'T talking about the delayed opening.. Nobody's complaining that there have been delays, it's just been pointed out.

In fact;
Joey said:
I'd rather it was late and done properly

Seems a mild enough statement..
Thanks man. I almost screamed and pulled my hair out until I saw your post.

iblamefish said:
The paint DOES matter - but not because they've simply missed a bit of paint - I don't care about that. It matters because of what it implies and represents - I DO care about that.

There's a thing called the Broken window theory which basically says that people will care about a neighbourhood less and not bother fixing things if they see that something is already broken. It applies to Merlin here - if they can't be bothered to finish off the paint job on Oblivion, when something else gets broken it'll be all to easy to think (subconsciously) "well it didn't matter for Oblivion so it won't matter for this" which leads to degradation of the area. On the other hand, if the area is finish properly and it looks amazing, then something breaks, the natural reaction is closer to "OMG - WE MUST FIX IT IMMEDIATELY!"

Very, very valid point. Everybody is saying oh, I didn't notice. But then, what happens when something else isn't done to standard, and something else, and then something else? All of these little things build up, and if nobody makes a point of nipping it in the bud then it will just be allowed to keep happening until the problem is too big to sort out.

Aren't people getting angry at Oblivion's paint a bit too soon?
I understand the internet is land of the extremes where people are either happy or angry. But is it so much effort to also have "reserve".

My stance is disappointment. It will evolve into anger if say, in a few months time the track in that section is still not painted. If it does, I will forget about it. You know, objective perception.

Things in life don't always go to plan. If you're your age and you still think everything must be perfect or gtfo then you must have been in a bubble. You take a step back and reflect and decide how appropriately you should react.

Basically if they open The Smiler (and it's in a good state) and Oblivion's hole needs more attention then by all means rage. I will probably be standing beside you holding my flaming torch and pitchfork.
-
Perhaps Thirteen, Air Tunnel and Nemesis:Sub-Terra has caused some people to be highly pessimistic.

That happened 2004/2005/2006.

It was stupid things, and those are generally classed as the worst period in Alton's history - the moment "the magic died".

It was stupid things like the "Ugland" remote control cars being put into what is now Mutiny Bay. They obviously had them spare after installing Rita, so they moved them. They had the Ugland theming on them in the courtyard of "Merry England". Other bits of Ugland popped up all over the park too.

That's a very clear example, but I remember the dirt and grime - the abysmal state of Toyland Tours and the monstrosity installations of Spinball and Rita (I'm never going to say either were a bad investment for the park in terms of popularity with guests or even as rides themselves if you like them). They were just so badly handled and "dumped" in place.

Everywhere it was "make do" rather than a consistent and professional approach than what we'd previously seen from Tussauds.

Merlin have worked hard with the A management and "stopped the rot" - this just stinks of going back to those days of being half-arsed.

It's not a death-knell or a calamity of any kind and I think it probably is just a decision based on what can normally be seen when the mist is on - but it may be a sign of corner cutting and a lack of professional foresight that they should be displaying as the UK's premier Theme Park. To put it into context "it's the kind of thing Drayton Manor would do" ;)

Aren't people getting angry at Oblivion's paint a bit too soon?
The park is open. Oblivion is open. They aren't going to close Oblivion to paint a section unimportant enough to leave in the first place, and I'd disagree with the decision to close Oblivion mid season after having it open for the park's opening... It may get done next winter, but by that point the current fresh paint will have weathered in, and painting over it will leave a seem. It's this lack of professional foresight, as Furie so aptly put it, that is the problem.

I don't think it's outrageous, but I do think it shows a lack of common sense. If I was painting my own office wall and painted the whole top half only to run our of paint/not bother with the section directly at head hight, I would expect a grilling from my colleagues. It's a lack of pride that shines through in the end. Not a major disaster but a definite face palm and loss of credibility for Merlin.

Smiler's looking fantastic though (if all the photos so far have been more than slightly phallic!)

Tower times are now saying it won't be open on 15th May.

marc said:
Tower times are now saying it won't be open on 15th May.

Doesn't surprise me :roll: Thought 15th May was way too optimistic.

Hmm, they do still have quite a while, and the weather will hopefully get a bit better, so should it should be OK. I don't really care though as I'll probably go a month or so after it opens anyway.

The Oblivion thing is a bit annoying. I'm not going to wash a pot of pills down with a bottle of vodka or anything, but I don't see why they didn't BOTHER with a few extra feet haha <///3.

Lots of people stating around that the Oblivion picture is old...

Apparently...

Mysterious Sue said:
Well it's not allowed to be the 18th because that's Eurovision weekend

And it can't be the weekend after because we'll all be in Scotland!

Nemesis Inferno said:
Lots of people stating around that the Oblivion picture is old...

Apparently...
Well, if that's true, than whoever said we were jumping on it too early will have been right! :lol:

Eurovision is the only thing mentioned that is more important than Smiler. Scotland and Muse are most defiantly not.

Legitimate excuses for not having a Live on actual opening weekend include: visiting a worthwhile place, eg: not Scotland, Scarlet being busy and thus unable to drive me, the apocalypse and Fraser insisting on bringing those "chicken" things.

Status
Not open for further replies.