What's new

Alton Towers, past, present & future, including SW7

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, I'm sorry, if every other country in the World can build woodies and have them go down a treat with the public, so can we. That's NOT the reason. It's a bull**** excuse.

kimahri

CF Legend
Nemesis Inferno said:
With Towers, they CANNOT and SHOULD NOT just plonk down 'big' attractions, what happened the last time they did that? We got Rita...

I thought we got Rita because some planning permission went wrong or something and rushed it out to replace it.

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
If gravity group got hold of that valley I think the lives of all UK citizen's will be benefitted immediately.

Ollie

CF Legend
I hope it would be super noisy as well so the locals move away. :p
OMG Wooden coaster down into the Valley. Yes please. :)
Although it's unlikely to ever happen. :(

nealbie

CF Legend
At least we now know that they want one (well PR Witch and the extra from Last of The Summer Wine at least) :roll:

Now to convince Merlin that not ALL wooden roller coasters are owned by Pleasure Beach Blackpool......

jayjay

Giga Poster
I think anytime we get a survey stuffed under our windscreen wipers, we just ignore the questions and write "LET US HAVE THE VALLEY WOODIE YOU TWATS" in big letters over the paper.

Dave

CF Legend
Are these the same sort of people who think a 84 year old monarch can't climb 4 steps onto a platform?

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I've heard alot of people say they don't like woodies because they feel unsafe. If you're a business looking to make money, you're not going to agree to build something people aren't going to ride!

Yes woodies have a big..um..fanbase? me included. But I guess in this situation, general ignorance wins over it. I don't think a marketting scheme of "this ride is actually really safe" would be appropriate.

Also I think Alton gets too much stick lately. I think they're getting it right, the park seems really busy this year, and there's been so much interest within the GP about Thirteen. I'm interested to see what SW7 brings us, but if you consider how much planning thirteen needed for such a simple layout (negotiating the ride around tree roots and such), I'm not getting my hopes up for a new Nemesis. The park may be big but it doesn't really have much room to do much.

nadroJ

CF Legend
The fact that the Dutch built Troy at Toverland should be proof enough that woodies are safe and family friendly? Even big intimidating ones. I'd love to actually see this survey, am I the only one who thinks it doesn't actually exist and was just used to pass off any questions regarding said woodie?

Ben

CF Legend
nadroJ said:
I'd love to actually see this survey, am I the only one who thinks it doesn't actually exist and was just used to pass off any questions regarding said woodie?

Nope!

marc

CF Legend
Who owns Heide Park? What is their biggest attraction there? Why do most people go to that park?

Answers on a post card please :)

Btw I do know the answer.

I just hope whatever they get is better than Rita, 13 and Air.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I'm just gutted that they have no plans to change X-Sector.

Dark Forest and Mutiny Bay are really good looking area's, X-Sector is now a joke in comparison.

I dont mind Alton being a family park, its kind of perfect like that. The tamer rides are sometimes a nice break from the thrills, and Alton's family rides are pretty awsome. BUT, it would be nice to see them invest in the 'thrill' side of things. Everything is family with Alton now.

You just have to look at the last 3 major rides added to the Merlin parks, to realise what kind of future they'll hold. (Zamperla Disk'O, Eurofighter & Intamin family coaster)

yinyang

Mega Poster
Am i the only one who would love a wild west theme to replace X-sector? You could have oblivion's drop falling through a saw mill type building similar to what SAW the ride had on its posters before it became SAW. Would liven tihngs up and make different flat rides appeal to the area/theme.

I also feel x-sector has to have the best theme because without a sky ride station in that corner of the park it needs to attract you to be bothered to walk by foot there.

spicy

Giga Poster
marc said:
Who owns Heide Park? What is their biggest attraction there? Why do most people go to that park?

Precisely. Merlin already know how sucessful and popular a wooden rollercoaster can be with Colossos.
That answer is complete bollocks and sounds like she made it up on the spot to me.

As for the other announcements, nothing really stands out there, kind of what everyone expected.

Just one question, did John Wardley say he will be working on SW7?

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
spicy said:
Just one question, did John Wardley say he will be working on SW7?

It was him that first mentioned SW7 in his talk, and he said 'We will beginning the planning in three weeks' - so I would have thought that would be a yes.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Concentrating on families? Hold on a minute, in 2008 during our staff brief at the start of the season, they said 2008 was the year of bringing back the families and I think that was achieved pretty well and it also seemed to be the case in 2009. So we get to 2010 and what happens, a family coaster is installed?

Correct me if I am wrong, but arent they already concentrating on families?

I think its about time they stick in a new thrill ride, ie something to compliment Rita and 13 in the Dark Forest, on the spot of land where Ug Swinger used to be.

For once I pretty much agree with Marc and Ben lol.