What's new

Alton Towers- New RMC?

TheBeast

Roller Poster
Hey everybody. Over at TowersTimes, a guy named Karnan is claiming to have a LOT of information, but cant back any of it up. Don't shoot the messenger, this is just what he has said-

In 2017, Alton Towers will receive an RMC launched wooden topper-track coaster. This coaster will feature an inclined launch (LSM) up a hillside to a top speed around 80 kph. It will feature a high-speed in-line-twist, a zero-g-roll, and a wave turn (similar to Outlaw Run) over the station. I have not heard anything about the supposed location of the coaster in the park or any theme/name.

I've said pretty much all I can remember. I didn't get many specific dimensions, as they weren't on the images I saw. Again, these drawings also did not have a park location or theme/name with them. They were merely titled, "Alton Towers 2017 launched wooden coaster" or something to that extent.

This is what I can confirm from memory:
-Station at the bottom of a hillside.
-Left hand turn out of the station.
-Heavily inclined launch up hill
-Airtime hill down maybe 7m to top of hill
-Speed up to maybe 80 kph
-Straight into in-line-twist
-Flat turn around (to the left)
-Airtime bump
-Zero-G roll down the hillside (under the lift)
-Wave turn over the station.

The rest I don't remember for sure, it made pretty much one larger loop without going up the hillside again, possibly one more inversion. I only saw these two images for a minute or so (one being a No Limits rendering that RMC made themselves, the other an AutoCAD drawing).

Now- take this all with a large inch of salt. A few of us believe that Karnan could potentially be Alton Towers posting themselves under an alias, we aren't sure. Obviously Karnan is a German park, so in theory bears no resemblance to AT in any way, but who knows? Just curious for your thoughts. If you want, i can give a so you can see for yourselves

Darren B

Giga Poster
I've read the posts on TT but I don't believe it for one minute.

However, I do honestly think that Alton Towers COULD realistically get an RMC for their next coaster, I just don't believe that this goon posting about it has seen the official plans, or knows anyone at or anything about Alton Towers' future protects

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
This is a tricky one...there could be many scenarios explaining this!

-'Karnan' could just be a fanboy attempting to draw attention to himself...
-He might have genuinely seen the plans (unlikely as it may seem..)
-Alton are using the enthusiast community to gauge the viability of the idea (again, unlikely since RMC are fully booked for a while aren't they?)
-Alton are rubbing salt on the 'wooden wound' and deliberately leading us in the wrong direction in order to conceal their true intentions! (Evil!)

My concern is whether or not Merlin would build an RMC in the UK! Yes, the GP perceive woodies as 'old fashioned' and 'unsafe', but that's exactly the reason why they'd think it was extreme, unique, incredible and lap it up! (Insert teenage conversation about 'have you seen...' here). If Merlin are trying to reassert Alton as a leader in the UK theme park industry, an RMC would be perfect.

However, since Merlin has acquired its parks, they've yet to show as much creative insight and market analysis as Tussauds did. Raptor and Saw have been perfect from a marketing and theming stand point, but both ride experiences ultimately failed to deliver. Maybe they've learned from their mistakes and are turning over a new leaf? I certainly hope so ;)

jj23w

Hyper Poster
The only people that would know what is going on is Park Operations, Development, Management and Designer of the coaster.

Mike

Giga Poster
I can confirm that the new ride will be an Aquatrax, utilising the unused lake by the old walkway between Gloomy Woods and the main lake in front of the Towers.

Groundwork started last week:
416937_393865360625834_100000071190272_1611040_85629773_n.jpeg

Smithy

Strata Poster
I think if any park in the country were to get an RMC and shatter the GP's illusion about wooden rides (even though it's not a wooden ride lul we'll save that argument for another time) it'd be Alton. Think they've got the best setting and the best ability to sell a ride with so many unique features and push it as something unique. Whereas I think putting it in somewhere as exposed and open as Thorpe the emphasis would be on the thrill of the ride.

STC

Mega Poster
What's the point of posting this? Random rumours should only be posted if:

a) there is any sort of evidence whatsoever or
b) the poster is well-respected or well-known, and has a proven track record for accurate information.

Neither is true in this case.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
There's plenty of point to any topic that encourages discussion... Speculation is absolutely fine and an interesting topic.

I think its weird personally that neither Thorpe nor Alton jumped on the RMC bandwagon. They could have had Europe's first, but no. They left it too late. Instead they grew a weird obsession with the least interesting new ride hardware of the **** decade.

Its a rumour that would not shock me.

And more importantly, the reality is that Alton has almost definitely been toying with wood coaster ideas that we have never and likely will never know about. Its plausible, even likley, that such a rumour was correct at the time it was delivered. Remaining correct is another matter entirely!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
This sounds too much like "My Uncle Works At Nintendo" to me. Unsubstiated claim, telling the fans exactly what they want to hear, no sources to back it up, and the poster is anonymous. It doesn't take much work to fake something like this; I bet most of us could do it given some knowledge about the park geography and half an hour of time to spare.

In other words... don't get your hopes up.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I think this is where the proverbial phrase "Trust but verify" comes in.

Take it from those of us who went through three agonizing years of speculation, deliberation, pontification, and obfuscation that was the construction of Maverick at Cedar Point. Take heed: Speculation without evidence is just that; speculation.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I bet the guy who started this thread on CF is actually Karnan haha...

Why would you make an account on here just to spread probably incorrect information? Not a nag, just suspicious!

jackandylan123

Roller Poster
^this guy is checking on here to see if anyone has heard a thing about it, TheBeast has the same username over on TowersTimes :)

Darren B

Giga Poster
^They still may be the same person. One account to start the rumour and a second to fan the flames.