What's new

Alton Towers New Flat Ride?

spicy

Giga Poster
I’d say this flat ride has to be the new for 2025 attraction now and constructed during 2024 closed season?

Can’t see how that pathway to Galactica can be closed off during this season would make the only way down there the small pathway under Galacticas lift hill during a time when FV is going to be busier than ever with Nemesis Reborn opening.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
While I’m not the biggest top spin fan, that will be quite a spectacle, turning the corner and seeing a suspended topspin over the pathway. In the days of social media, this is probably a great thing. Also, the theming opportunities…. It could be some huge piece of military equipment bought in to subdue Nemesis, with huge tentacles encasing it either side. Anyway, whatever happens, a new flat ride can only be a good thing.

On a side note, if they are adding this in possibly 2025 (not confirmed I know) rather than 2024, do you think we could be seeing a phase 2 to work on Forbidden Valley? i know it’s probably wishful thinking, but it would be nice to walk under this on your way to Galactica, and the theme continue, with Galactica being tied into the area making the whole thing cohesive. With Alton pouring money into the Nemesis refurb, the nemesis/forbidden valley theme is obviously not going anywhere any time soon. I’ve always felt Galactica has a bit of an identity crisis since it became Galactica, not Air. With the addition of a new flat here, with theming, could it be the perfect opportunity to do something about that whole back section of forbidden valley? Again, wishful thinking I know.
There's an idea, and it is just an 'idea' at this stage I think, that it will act as a portal linking the Nemesis / Phalanx themed area to the Galactica area. There have been rumours of Galactica being rethemed to water, and this project name would tie in with that.

Would be incredible if they could do something like this, one side of the structure and ride being themed to Phalanx, with fire effects on that side of the ride. And the other side being themed to water, with the water effects on the ride. The whole thing acting as a portal to the other area from either side.

Pipe dream territory here though, I think.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Nah, they don't need to match Universal, Alton is still a domestic park in a different league to Universal, it doesn't need to meet that standard, but people will expect more.

Will

Strata Poster
I doubt Universal is concerning them unduly of yet.

I've got sympathy for once - having spent a huge amount on Nemesis (which, let's face it, is more important from our point of view than a new attraction) Alton then had the expense of the skyride, Hex etc. On top of that, a lot of the budget will have gone on the white elephants for the other parks.

It won't stop us, but we have little to complain about this season :)

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
In recent drone footage, it appears that some fencing has blocked off Enterprise's whole area...
Screenshot_20240313-125228_Discord.jpg

I doubt that Towers will keep the area like this for long. Someone from a discord server claims that the park has general development permits for X Sector so they won't have to publicly document that they want to build a ride here. With the planning permission for a new attraction in Forbidden Valley, could this mean that we could be seeing multiple additions to the park as soon as 2035 or is that wishful thinking?

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
I think 2035 is a bit wishful. Hopefully next year we will have 2 perma flats. I could see a Nebulaz fitting in X sector quite nicely.
Oh whoops, didn't see that typo. Keeping it because it's funny.

To contrast with your thoughts I kinda hope we don't see a Nebulaz. Zamperla packages might have some decent flats but I desparately hope we see something more unique from a larger range of manufacturers. A Gerstlauer/HUSS/Mondial ride would be cool to see.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
I got a good laugh out of it at least. I wouldnt be against a Nebulez, they're crowd pleasers but I would question the throughput for a park like Alton, what's the theoretical PPH on one of those things?

Seems to work for Astérix though.

Matt N

CF Legend
Hopefully it genuinely is for facilities and storage, to replace lost space by Project Horizon...
If I’m not mistaken, I think the park might be relocating a lot of the back-of-house stuff on Coaster Corner to the area behind Alton Manor. I seem to remember that being stated in the planning application, anyway.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
If I’m not mistaken, I think the park might be relocating a lot of the back-of-house stuff on Coaster Corner to the area behind Alton Manor. I seem to remember that being stated in the planning application, anyway.
Yes exactly, and is what I hope this planning is for.

(The building will sit on the land you mention, albeit more the 'side' than the back, it's the same bit of land. This building will actually sit on one of the current back of house access roads / paths to the current storage / maintenance area behind Manor.)

Jared

Hyper Poster
This is likely for a scare attraction for Scarefest. The park are under increasing pressure to stop/remove the scare attractions from the Towers and are clearly looking at other locations. The fact that the building is the same as that used for Survival Games at Thorpe should be a good indication here.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
No there isn't, nearest heated indoor break area to that is monorail plaza
What on earth is monorail plaza? Do you mean admissions plaza? Or are you referring to magic HQ?

Either way, there is absolutely a staff break area under the forbidden skyride station... As to whether it's 'heated' or not I have no idea, it used to have halogen heaters, but I don't know anymore... I do know it's still there though. Take a peak over the fence on Saturday. ;)