What's new

Alton Towers | Nemesis Reborn | B&M Retrack | 2024

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Random question, is the musical score still played with the high pitch sounds etc? The part of the soundtrack i’m referring to is in the video below.

(Was initially pulled in by the clickbait thumbnail but it’s an old video of how they used to dye the water red. Interesting none the less)

It’s the old soundtrack in that vid.

You can find the new soundtrack on Apple Music etc.

spicy

Giga Poster
^ I knew there was a new sound track but was kinda hoping that slow part of the area score was kept somewhere, added to the the sense of mystique as you had put it previously 🥺

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
^ I knew there was a new sound track but was kinda hoping that slow part of the area score was kept somewhere, added to the the sense of mystique as you had put it previously 🥺

It’s not all bad, there are nods to the old ‘slower parts’ in the new soundtrack still - for example, see from 3:00 in the below video (through to the end).

But granted, yes - there is a bit more of an ‘action shuffle’ to it.

Will

Strata Poster
I don't like to say anything against this project because I've been so happy with it overall - but I do agree that I miss the old soundtrack.

Potentially off topic, but there seems to be a trend of iconic soundtracks vanishing and not just from Merlin parks (Valhalla) - and one of the rumours I've heard lately around Hex is that that could be the most victim. Possibly (hopefully) just hearsay though.

[I managed to score a denim jacket today - XL and XXL in stock for any goons interested. I took the last small, because the large was extremely large]

Flash Shift

Roller Poster
I've been on Nemesis Reborn today so I can offer up thoughts that I'm sure aren't original at this point.

Firstly I'd like to say how I like that Forbidden Valley is much more alive. There's much more going on, and the Phalanx crew and the "Nemesis does have feelings" people were a fun addition. I expect they won't keep the people out and about in the area forever.

It was a while before I actually got on it - I beelined straight there only to be told that it wasn't open, or testing, and they had no idea when it would be open and suggested that I return, which was a very bad start. I had a brief chat with a Phalanx girl who told me Reborn was mainly different because it was smoother which I was dubious about after what I'd heard. Anyway I couldn't go on it right away. Nor Wickerman as that wasn't open either. By the time I'd been to X Sector, both rides were open, so I was able to finally go on Reborn. Overall I wasn't too impressed with operations - while everything did open eventually, it was a bad start and even then operations across the park felt very slow. Oblivion was stacking a lot and I had to wait 20 minutes for it, which is longer than I've ever waited for that. But I'm getting off topic.

The queue line is interesting - it's a very good queue line because of all the vantage points from where you can see the track and trains go round, but I did feel it was more cut off from the ride than the original version. The original queue had the feeling you were in the ride almost, which was great. It seems like only the very end bit was the same as before, though I might be wrong. If anyone's ever played Pokemon Black and White and then gone to their sequels, it's like how Victory Road is almost completely different except for the last two rooms. As for the music, I kind of want to say the original music was better, but that it wouldn't fit in with the new theming elements so I do at least appreciate them not just keeping everything the same. I'd say the same about the queue line.

The overall theming and station are great - but I wasn't a fan of the assigned seating and how there's no longer a front row queue. Assigned seating seemed to be all over Alton Towers today which is disappointing. So unfortunately I didn't get a front row ride. But I did on Oblivion and Smiler by complete chance, but anyway.

As for the ride itself, it feels very much the same as before, but it is weirdly rougher than the original. Not brutally rough, but it certainly has a rattle. The mist by the zero-g roll and around the second corkscrew were a nice touch. I got 2 rides in, one on row 2 on the right, and then one on 3 on the left. The first one felt weirdly not as intense as I remembered it. I guess the ride had warmed up by the afternoon, as the second on row 3 was much better than the first. A lot more aggressive like the Nemesis I remember. It's still a great ride, but I think my trip to Liseberg last year raised the bar as it made Alton's lineup feel that much worse. Or maybe I've just done Alton Towers to death, who can say.

Overall I'd say the updates were positive, but I am uncertain as to whether it'll get really rough over the next couple of years and become flatly worse than the original ride, which I felt was fairly smooth even in 2022. The paint scheme will also probably look worse - it'll go grey like Smiler. Not going to lie, the rattle concerns me a lot.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
It’s not strictly ‘Nemesis’ related, but I thought I’d share some ‘speculation’ I saw on a YouTube comment that I thought was a good shout…

Noting that the coffee shop adjacent to Nemesis has been themed as ‘Ground Command’, it seems likely that Galactica is going to be re-themed to ‘Air Command’.

… even if not correct, I like the thought process behind it!

Flash Shift

Roller Poster
So, from what I’m hearing in this thread, I shouldn’t beg my parents for an impromptu trip to England?

No, it's still worth going. Nemesis is still great and there's a lot of good coasters in this country, plus Hyperia opening this year.

What it really is is that a lot of us on this forum specifically are Brits who have been to Alton Towers many times as well as other UK parks. Plus we watch other countries like America and Europe get cool new coasters whereas we don't tend to get a lot and have coasted (no pun intended) on the country's early successes in the 90s and 00s. Plus we like to complain!

jasone

Roller Poster
I finally rode reborn on Thursday. Had my first ride on the front row around 11am and was quite underwhelmed, but didn’t notice a rattle.

Had my second ride row 7 and noticed a really bad rattle/vibration specifically from the stall turn onwards. First half it wasn’t really noticeable. This has me really concerned as it was feeling very juddery already and dread to think what it could feel like in a few years.

However, had my third ride on row 8, it felt a hell of a lot smoother than it ever used to, felt really aggressive and forceful and it reminded me of why it’s still in my top ten all these years later.

It seems to me one of the trains is much worse than the other, so hopefully it’s something they can fix?

Also, as mentioned above, operations were terrible on Thursday. It was a really quiet day. We joined the wicker man queue at 9:45, and it still wasn’t open at 10:25 and absolutely no communication from anyone about whether it was opening or not. It did finally open but wasn’t impressed by the lack of announcements or communication. Coasters were constantly stacking, particularly oblivion. Galactica also had really slow ops, and nemesis was taking a while to get trains out too. Having said that have to shout out to the smiler staff who were getting trains out really quickly, it was constantly duelling.

Ride availability was much better today than in my last two visits which is a plus. However, I still think Alton is a bit of a shadow of what it used to be for me. I’m not sure if it’s me that’s travelled more and experienced much better parks (phantasialand, Europa I’m looking at you), but I just think the attention to detail isn’t there with Alton. Everything just feels like it’s done to a standard that’s “good enough”. Dark forest really needs a whole overhaul, even my partner mentioned the atmosphere was non existent and he didn’t understand why Rita had creepy music. Also, I don’t like to comment on staff normally, but on the bus on the way there were two ride ops talking very loudly so the whole bus could hear about other ride staff they don’t like/think are terrible… really didn’t scream professional and not a great start to a day for parents with kids on the same bus to the park. Just a lot of small negative things really start to stack up, which I never experience at any other park.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
So this pretty much confirms what I said earlier in the thread.

Reborn is faster into the first inversion, helix and second inversion, probably because of the faster lift hill. Then, slowing down somewhere around the stall and vertical loop considerable, leading it to enter the brakes later.

Flash Shift

Roller Poster
I thought it was odd that on my first ride I almost felt like I was going to get hangtime on the loop! Didn't happen the second time. Very interesting comparison.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Reborn is faster into the first inversion, helix and second inversion, probably because of the faster lift hill. Then, slowing down somewhere around the stall and vertical loop considerable, leading it to enter the brakes later.
I'd happily take that compromise if that's the case. Those first three elements are one of the best sequences on any coaster, and if it's going faster by a second or two, that must be awesome!