What's new

Alton Towers Monorail

Bowser

Mega Poster
Sorry for the boring question but i'm taking my disabled son to the Water Park for a 2pm swimming session on Friday. I was thinking we could pop in to the park for a few hours beforehand. Would the monorail be the quickest way to then get to the Water Park (and back) or would we be better off driving across? I can't seem to find anything about how regularly the monorail runs.

Peet

Giga Poster
I'm pretty sure the monorail runs all day, just on a reduced frequency during the middle of the day. But if you can use the disabled parking at both ends then it will be quicker to drive.

Matt N

CF Legend
The monorail does run all day; we’ve quite often taken it to go home in the early to mid afternoon before on the 2nd day of a 2-day visit, so it does run all day (or at least did at some point). In terms of how regularly it runs; it just seems to run as often as there are enough people to fill trains, from my experience.

Whether it would be quicker to take it than to drive between the hotel and the waterpark, though, I’m not sure. I imagine that it would probably be quicker to drive between the two, as even if the monorail is quiet, you might sit for a bit waiting for people to get on.

It’s also worth noting that the monorail station is still a little walk from Splash Landings itself (albeit not as far as it is from the other accommodation options), which may be particularly important to consider if your son has any mobility difficulties. Whereas if you drive to Splash Landings, I imagine you could get from your car to Splash Landings in hardly any time at all.

Bowser

Mega Poster
I'm pretty sure the monorail runs all day, just on a reduced frequency during the middle of the day. But if you can use the disabled parking at both ends then it will be quicker to drive.

Thanks! Just wondered if they were say every 10 minutes or more like 30+ minutes as i think he'd enjoy the monorail but not enough to wait that long.... and obviously we'd then need to get it back again with the car still at the park. Sounds like driving will be the more sensible option then.