What's new

Alton Towers' Galactica VR coaster/Rollercoaster Restaurant

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: Alton Towers submits planning permission

Definitely a huge cover-up. I mean you wouldn't want to leak the name of a restaurant. Far better to go to the time and effort to mislead a few people than risk ruining the big reveal later.

Such a conspiracy. Somebody call Mulder and Scully!

JoshC.

Strata Poster

jj23w said:
It's most probably a cover up so Enthusiasts don't find out the real name until air gets unveiled.

>Go to great lengths to cover up name of a restaurant to enthusiasts.
>All enthusiasts with a spare 2 minutes can find out the likely name and upgrade to Air online.

Because restaurant names are much more sensitive than new attractions.

Lofty

CF Legend

Joey said:
For a second I thought this was a Chinese park topic.
<3 YES!

Cover up? Really? Who gives a flying **** about a restaurant and it's name - coverups usually have a better story than what it's trying to disguise, this just doesn't.

davidm

Strata Poster

"In space you can't hear yourself scream ; because there is no AIR." - how very clever...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSaJN4uPoVc[/youtube]

Martyn B

CF Legend

And there was me thinking they might actually attempt to make it blend in with the Forbidden Valley theme...

Or at least make it like the original promotional videos :lol:

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

I must admit I've not been following this too closely. But the whole space theme could work well with the current interest in (the awesome) Mr Tim Peake currently in the ISS. Tim has always said he wants to engage the younger generation and peake (sorry) their interest in space. This would be an excellent way to do just that.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

It's weird to see then doing something that isn't (well, mostly anyway) a dark horror based attraction for a thrill ride.

It's nice to see a space theme get done again, even if the whole VR bit turns out to be boring.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Lofty

CF Legend

Galactica can go away.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk.

Ben

CF Legend

Could they not come up with their own slogan rather than butcher the one from Alien?

I'm in the 'shame this will work even less in Forbidden Valley' camp, but hopefully it'll jazz up the worst B&M ever built.

mouse

Giga Poster

Ben said:
hopefully it'll jazz up the worst B&M ever built.
Which other B&M is it jazzing up? :wink:

Some excellent thought has gone behind the advert, the whole link between space and no AIR is very subtle and clever. Absolutely seamless. You could say that space is also an OBLIVION, and the lack of AIR makes it a NEMESIS. And if that NEMESIS had a name it would possibly be RITA, who happens to be THIRTEEN years old and whose favourite book is CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY.
I should really join the marketing team for the advertising of the next ride alteration.

Ben

CF Legend

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, because those suggestions actually are as genuinely clever as this one they've gone for.

It's too wordy as well - it's like someone has gone "In space you can't hear yourself scream". "Oh, that's cool... what does it mean?", "Well, um, in space you can't scream cause there's no air?", "THATS THE NAME OF THE RIDE LETS EXPLAIN IT CAUSE THE PUBLIC ARE APPARENTLY THICK", "But doesn't that kill all the subtlety?", "... I wonder if we can get Jordin Sparks to do the soundtrack... oh look a shiny object", *kills self*

JoshC.

Strata Poster

I actually loved the "because there's no AIR" phrase. Then again, I'm easily pleased with terrible puns in any situation...

Agree it's a bit wordy though. Just "In space, there's no air" probably would have been just as good.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

Ben said:
Could they not come up with their own slogan rather than butcher the one from Alien?

I'm in the 'shame this will work even less in Forbidden Valley' camp, but hopefully it'll jazz up the worst B&M ever built.

Totally agree about the placement though. I just want a steampunk space area with black hole II (or would it be III now?). :lol: :mrgreen:

Well, not long to go now before they announce the news that we already know. Hope we'll get some actual details further than "We're doing a space VR thing".

Lofty

CF Legend

It's the most ridiculously long winded way of describing what they wanted to.

As me and Ben were chatting about: "In space, there is no air" would have been much more subtle and powerful.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk.

davidm

Strata Poster

The link in Marcus's tweet is a PDF seemingly sample menu from the "Roller Coaster Restaurant" - seems more pub-food than food-loop.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/coastertouring/status/684102064763473920[/tweet]

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

rollercoaster-restaurant-brochure-visual.jpg

Almost cannot believe that wall art....really....could it be!? =D>

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

That wall art looks really promising and really good. It looks like a timeline(or at least a list) of all of AT's coasters. I'd say yes!

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

GuyWithAStick said:
That wall art looks really promising and really good. It looks like a timeline(or at least a list) of all of AT's coasters. I'd say yes!
Yep, looks cool. Unusual to see Merlin referencing park history for once but then again, not sure what else you'd use for artwork if you didn't go for area theming (space).

Lofty

CF Legend

That concept art confuses me, the plates are at the wrong angle to the mechanism - people get PAID to do half-arsed concept art work and this upsets me.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

I can't get excited about a restaurant.