What's new

Alton Towers' Galactica VR coaster/Rollercoaster Restaurant

Re: Alton Towers submits planning permission

I just don't get the re-theme, as it's not as if Battlestar Galatica is massive in this country? In the US maybe, and I would've thought the re-theme would be less, subtle? Like having the 'tunnel' or 'portal' placed on the actual tunnels under the paths and in amongst the trees or at the top of the lift hill?

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet:

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbgRUaHgi7U[/youtubevid]

Anyway, looks like they've finally done something right this year. It's IMAscore, so of course it's good, but this one sounds particularly amazing - almost better than Helix's in my opinion. I liked Air's soundtrack, but this blows it out of the water!

Galactica aside, it's almost like there's an internal power struggle going on right now. Half the management is intent on tearing the place down to save costs, and the other, rightly so, is after a good bit of healthy investment and TLC.

EDIT: Thanks Hixee!

It does sound very Helix-y. I'm a bit disappointed they didn't sample the original soundtrack in there though.

Dont know if its its relevant to anything but just stumbled across this on the Towers website:

4sbQbuzriq1CFBROUZ3YY3SiP9jmLJVosxiGAUa2mFQ

https://www.altontowers.com/info-help/success/

Any ideas?

I'm guessing either a promo code to opening, or some sort of early-access pass.

Probably for the competition they're running via the Galactica Tours Twitter account. There's been several 'tasks' to complete, each revealing a codeword.

Not too dissimilar to the Minds Wanted stuff for DBGT.

^Most likely. Dont have twitter so wouldn't have known anything about it

Bit of lift-hill VR ;

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzaCpA_S218[/youtubevid]

That's very Portal, isn't it.

Like, it's all still a bit cartoony for me, but we'll see.

The footage is way too animated (in terms of looking cartoon-like), looks a bit ****.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk.

Agreed that it doesn't feel "real" enough, which is really what this needs.

But who knows, it might feel right on ride. Though I doubt it...

JoshC. said:
Agreed that it doesn't feel "real" enough, which is really what this needs.

But who knows, it might feel right on ride. Though I doubt it...

In vr a lot more looks real. When it's everything you see your brain believes its real

^ Bollocks. Sorry, but I'm calling that out.

I've experienced two forms of VR. One of them was a 'real' video filmed with effects over the top which was fabulous and truly made me jump (it was horror). I've also experienced a completely computer generated animation VR which at no point did my brain believe what I was seeing was real, whereas with the other one, at points, I was enveloped into the narrative.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk.

Yeah, the VR we tried at Europa never once felt 'real'.

I dunno, I'm never going to think I live in a cartoon world. I'm not **** Aqua.

I don't necessarily think this needs to feel 'real'. I mean, all AT attractions are very much 'real' experiences, and I think this one is sort of meant to take you out of that plain of reality for a unique experience. I look forward to riding this.

Yeeeeah this was all my concern at the start. I actually think it looks better than expected and have other more important concerns than the realism of the thing.

I watched the cartoony Europa one on YouTube and that's so bad it makes me angry. The way the characters fall about is just infuriatingly crap. It's just crap.

Looks cool tbh, made me want to see what the ride experience like at least.

I wish imascore could sound track my life.

Looks fab. I love the potential escapism of the video game styling. Totally followed it out the station and up the lift too. Was cool.

Y'all are just a bit too cynical, even for me. I must be getting nice in my old age. :p