What's new

Alton Towers (13/02/10) and (20/02/10)

Brookes

Giga Poster
We had our first visit of the year at Towers today and it was a great day where we did quite a few rides, but also had a quite chilled day and explored the Towers and the Gardens. Got quite a few photos but they were taken with a phone so quality not that great.

Anyway, me, my cousin (The Grape Wizard) and my mate met a couple of my mates there at 10 and we joined a queue to get into the park via the turnstiles as they hadn’t let anyone in yet. When we got in we looked at Sonic Spinball while walking to Nemesis which looked great with the new colours in my opinion. It was great to be back at Towers again after the off season and even better to start it with a back row ride on Nemesis with no queue at all. I got back right and it was fantastic, really smooth aswell no head banging at all.

024.jpg

Also the wheel covers seem to have like orange rust on them aswell which looked really cool as can be seen in the photo above. We did Nemesis once more then went over to Air, but as we joined the queue it broke down. So we left the queue and went on Blade. Got on the back row with no queue and did the usual standing up but I felt nothing at all.

Next we went to Duel with no queue as normal and my cousin won with 52600. Some of the lights were off for some reason which obviously reduced everyone’s score. I only got like 32800 due to my hands being freezing and some of the lights being off, but the blasters were good unlike half term last year when they were new and impossible to shoot with.

After we went to RMT where unfortunately there was no Choo Choo lady. There was some guy who was saying choo choo but with no enthusiasm whatsoever, but RMT was as good as normal.

Then we went over to Spinball but it had about a 20 min queue which we knew would go down so went over to Oblivion, but got some pictures from later on in the day below.

037.jpg

035.jpg

We got to Oblivion and it was a repeat of Air; it broke down as soon as we got in the queue. Realising we weren’t going to have much luck, we walked off up to the Towers through the tunnel and decided to go to the top, where I’d never been before. There was a great view and I got some pictures while we were up there.

039.jpg

040.jpg

042.jpg

Next we went to have a look at Thirteen and looked at the Rita station first which looks great. We walked down the gap by the toilets where it was closed off just next to them, and saw the top of the lift of Thirteen and it was testing, a train went straight over when we got there. It went over the top of the lift quite fast I must say. I had an idea to go round the side to by Burger King and you had a great view of the drop and the turn, and then my cousin went even further down and there was a great view. We saw it test again and it looks like it takes the first turn after the drop at a fair pace and over the first hill quite fast. I really like the look of the trains as well, tried to get a picture of it going through the turn but failed, so here’s the attempt.

038.jpg

After they made me go on Hex seeing as I think it’s pretty boring but I said I would go on it once this season. It was alright really, I love how everyone is like are we really going upside down which was quite funny. It’s an ok ride for every now and again.

Then we were all quite hungry so we decided to go to the Pizza and Pasta place, where I’d never been before. It was really nice and good value with AP discount, think I saw a couple of CF people there as well.

Next we went over to Sonic Spinball where the queue had gone down to about ten mins and it was great as normal, really forceful spun like crazy. I really like the new colours as well as the re-theme as a whole, although it seems most of it is just a change of logo, but overall it’s an improvement for me.

033.jpg

032.jpg

034.jpg

We then tried Oblivion again but it broke down again once we got there which took the mick a bit. But I got some good pictures including this one where I managed to get none of the fence on the drop in the shot, but get it just going into the whole which was hard due to the noise of it and the delay on my phone.

031.jpg

029.jpg

Since we hadn’t done Air yet we went over to Forbidden Valley through the gardens where we went through a weird way where we went last time we were at Towers where we found a random cave.

041.jpg

028.jpg

We queued about 15 minutes for Air and it was pretty good as usual, we were on the two back rows and it was relaxing but cold.

027.jpg

After we joined the queue as to what we thought was quite short but was actually quite long due to them only running one train. We queued for about 20 mins and eventually got on, we were just about go on back row but they put the chain over it so had 7th row. Was a brilliant ride as normal.

We then went on Duel again where I got a better score of 39900, but the lights that were off before were still off. There was only about half an hour left now so we went over to Oblivion because we still hadn’t been on it.

We got there and it actually stayed open this time and got two front row rides before it closed and it was fantastic as usual, really forceful. However, it had another small breakdown while in queue for the second.

030.jpg

So overall it was a great first day at Towers, but it seems that quite a bit of stuff wasn’t working or was breaking down which is quite uncommon for Alton, but overall it was an awesome day.

Ride count:

Nemesis x3
Oblivion x2 (Front rows)
Air x1
RMT x1
Duel x2
Blade x1
Sonic Spinball x1
Hex x1

It was a pretty good ride count for the 6 hours it was open but was also more of a chill day and was very enjoyable.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Nice to see the Spinball theming still there (bumpers)... Looks shiny though...

Nice pics of the Towers though... Good old fashioned gothic ftw...

However, lack of Hex love does not want... :(

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
Great to see you had a fun day, even with the bitter cold. I don't think I could handle being blasted in the face by cold February wind whilst zooming around on Nemesis!

Also, Sonic Spinball looks lush. I'm surprised you didn't stand next to the statue and get a photo :lol:

Brookes

Giga Poster
Thanks for the comments guys!

^^^Yeah was a fun day, and I didn't get any pictures of Rita's station because it was too far away for my phone to zoom in it would be too blurred, there was a fence that was closing UgLand off before Rita's Bar and Grill. Also the UgLand sign had been taken down and the statues like those which have been pictured by Rita in the Thirteen topic are at each side of where the old sign was.

^^Thanks, and sorry but I just don't really get what is so good about it. I appreciate how some people who really like the theming and affects like it though, but personally I'm not a fan.

^Yeah it was quite cold but it was worth braving it! Nemesis was fantastic but my face was bright red when I came off. And yeah I agree the new colour scheme looks great, and I think we were going to do that, don't know why we didn't in the end.

yinyang

Mega Poster
Some great photos, and can't wait to ride Sonic Spinball later this week, and definately going to upload a photo of myself next to sonic for you all :D

Hopefully will be dead quiet when I go.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Spinball (sorry Sonic) just looks clean. It's still as tacky is it ever was.

Nice PTR there. Sounds like you had a good time, even if it was cold.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Agreed

032.jpg

That just looks really cheap and nasty. Ok, so it's nice that it got a paint job, but a really piss-poor effort otherwise.

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
Whilst I previously praised the retheme, I now have some pet peeves about it. The signs with "Hold tight!" on them remain virtually unchanged. They could've easily been made to look like the signpost at the end of each zone's act from the Megadrive games. Even just that alone would make the ride feel more Sonic-y.

It would also be ace to see some old-school badniks replace the pinballs on the grass. But that's probably just me being a Sonic nerd. The cars could've been painted blue, since it IS meant to be Sonic zipping around...

But I'll stop there. It's only a 3 year deal, so we can't expect anything too fantastic.

And by the way, Brookes, what about the soundtrack? I'm dying to know about it!:p

Brookes

Giga Poster
^I didn't actually hear that much of the soundtrack. There is Sonic music but I have no idea what it is, plus the man talking about getting ready to ride etc. has been replaced by Sonic saying it. We weren't in the area for very long so didn't really notice the soundtrack that much.

Thanks for the comments. :)

yinyang

Mega Poster
whereabouts is the random cave in the gardens brookes? and does it lead anywhere, a shortcut through a cave in the gardens would be cool.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I shall hijack this topic then, until somebody cooler posts one :p

First up, we've been to Alton a few times over the closed season for the swimming pool, but they didn't have car parking charges up. It's still £5 though - Robin car park bastards:
23502_1319709586486_1043162436_971951_6387035_n.jpg

We caught the newly re-themed train to the park. I know they were only done up two year's ago, but they've gone for a "crowded bus" theme now! Let's put it this way, I'm more impressed with the Sonic re-theme ;)
18767_1319711346530_1043162436_971956_7116770_n.jpg

MMF is happy to be back. He doesn't need the pram any more, but our picnic definitely does - they just get more and more epic!
18767_1319711386531_1043162436_971957_4538185_n.jpg

Meeting Sonic is officially a pant wetting experience :) MMF was really ,really, REALLY seriously chuffed to meet him. Like "best moment of my life ever" good. I know the Sonic re-theme has had a negative reaction, but it's a massively, massively popular move by the park.
18767_1319711506534_1043162436_971960_5588783_n.jpg

They've also tarted up Squirrel Nutty, and added live Squirrel actors - awesome!
23502_1319713866593_1043162436_971970_832559_n.jpg

Farmyard area next for some Tractor action! Could you make that into a dynamic word? Traction?
23502_1319727666938_1043162436_971987_4081996_n.jpg

Exclusive Update Time
23502_1319727746940_1043162436_971989_8002150_n.jpg

Honest, it's important. When I first took Minor_Furie (not Maxi-Minor, but Minor) to Alton Towers about eight years ago - I took him on the Tractors. I remember seeing these connecting poles go through the plastic chassis. They really rattle in the hole and my one enduring fear of Alton is this: One of my kids will put a little finger in the kid finger sized gap and the sharply rattling pole will trap their finger and break it, or cut it off. Seriously, I'm happier letting the kids play with a Maclaren buggy than go on the tractors at Alton ;)
Anyway, as you can see here - they've stuffed the gap with foam and taped it all up. Honestly, I'm not a great fan of H&S, but this is something that has been an obvious "someone is going to get badly hurt one of these days" thing.

What would one of my trip reports be without bunnies?
Well, they have Guinea Pigs now
23502_1319727906944_1043162436_971993_4353102_n.jpg

Here they are, happily stuffing themselves with grain.. So that you can pay for you kids to be able to feed the giant man eating rabbits of doom fresh grain filled Guinea Pigs!
Here's Maxi-Minor_Furie just after lobbing a grain filled Guinea Pig to the giant man eating rabbits of doom:
23502_1319727946945_1043162436_971994_6047561_n.jpg

If you don't feed them enough, they start to eat each other!!!
23502_1319727986946_1043162436_971995_5399785_n.jpg

Eye Spy Riverbank next. Annoying noise ride of doom. I snook into the Dung Heap to drink coffee instead!
23502_1319728106949_1043162436_971998_7542330_n.jpg

Bugger, the boats come right past filled with noise making hooligans!

Squirrel actor on his break over by the maze of the magic mushroom.
23502_1319728186951_1043162436_972000_8258286_n.jpg

See, you get all the behind the scenes views here on CF!

Sonic grabbed my child! I don't want to think about what's going to happen next with the oversize thumb of his!!!
23502_1319728226952_1043162436_972001_5189895_n.jpg

We did some other stuff too I'm sure. Watched Thirteen testing, played on big wobble, Hex, the usual kind of dull stuff. I've posted my piccies of the new ride and Sonic re-theme elsewhere.

Finished up at the Runaway Mine Train. I'm fed up with the rubbish Alton feed us though!
23502_1319728546960_1043162436_972009_4869397_n.jpg

The lies!

23502_1319728586961_1043162436_972010_4219720_n.jpg

The damnable lies!!!

While Family_Furie went off to the Sealife, I went to see if there was any cheap tat in Towers Trading. There was, Neal, Stone Cold, Lain, Will and Borg - it doesn't come any cheaper than that (Rach is excluded from the list as she is not cheap/tacky*)

I smited Neal with the girl sword (Or was Neal smitten by Furie wielding the girl sword?) and then I encouraged them to run away from Will - who returned promptly the second after they had left.

Then I went swimming for an hour for my last pass visit to Splash Landings.

Yeah, hurrah and all that. I didn't see any reliability issues as I didn't go anywhere near any rides really :lol: Everyone had fun though - so that's all that matters.

*Delete as appropriate

Brookes

Giga Poster
^^It's hard to explain basically if you head from Hex straight down the main path next to the lake, go into the gardens through the gates to the right then keep heading down the path to the right which goes down. Then if you carry straight on it's on the left around about there. I don't think it leads anywhere, there is just a dark room in there.

^I think Oblivion was having some problems as at one point they emptied the queue by letting everyone go on then closing it. Also someone else I know went also said it broke down at different times to when I saw.

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
T'was a great opening day!!

Nice reports both of you. Oblivion was annoying though, but you can't get mad at Oblivion.

I like my 2 action shots into the cave. :lol:

Martyn B

CF Legend
Glad you both had a good time, though to be honest its hard not to have a good time at Alton. The park has come along nicely over last few years, and long may it continue!

Quick questino though, how long has Alton had a petting Zoo? :?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's not a petting zoo. The farmyard has had the giant bunnies to look at for about three or four years (They came Easter 2006 I think for a short stay).

The rest arrived season before last off and on, but permanently last year... I think :lol: I wouldn't put my fingers near any of them...

Brookes

Giga Poster
I went again yesterday and thought I would just do a quick report of the happenings in here, as there isn't much point starting another topic.

So we got there at about 10:15 due to the snow on the roads to find Nemesis, Spinball and RMT all closed, there may have been more but that's all we could see. They all opened later on in the day though like from 11:30 to 12:30. The closing time was stretched to 5:00pm due to the late openings.

Highlights of the day were finding two new caves in the gardens and finally being bothered to go down to the bandstand. Oblivion was brilliant all day rode it 7 times, getting loads of air as the ride op we know was letting us go really loose. Combined with awesome seating positions such as my favourite dangling hands behind the back of the train and looking in random directions, it was brilliant all day, really forceful. It had virtually no queue for most of the day.

When Nemesis opened about midday it's queue was already at about 25 minutes and due to only running one train, didn't seem to reduce all day reaching 45 mins at one point, until the last half an hour or so. We rode it 4 times and it was great as normal got two back rows, one of them being a back left for me, as well as getting the last train of the day, fantastic.

Saw Thirteen testing with no dummies in it and it didn't seem to be going as fast over the lift hill, but the first turn still seemed fast. We saw it go into the building as well which we didn't see last week and it doesn't slow down when it first goes in. It was louder than I heard last week as well, probably because there were hardly any people there, but it sounds quite loud.

Overall we had a great day with a fair few rides and everything seemed to be working well except for the late openings because of the snow.

Ride count:

Oblivion x7
Nemesis x4
Duel x3
RMT x1
Spinball x1
Air x1

I think that was everything so good day!

Due to the snow the park is closed today as there's an absolute load here.