What's new

Accident on Adventureland's Raging River

bmac

Giga Poster
I have heard that the ride wasn't e-stopt for 15 minuets after the accident.

It made me wonder why rapid ride's currently don't have tracking systems to track each individual rafts progress through the ride. A system like the could've E-stopt the ride when a raft is taking to long to go through an area.

A system like this would not be ideal since it would still take a few minutes for a system like this to detect a irregularity and E-stop the ride, but anything is better the 15 minutes it took in this accident.

Most rapids rides have multiple observation points that attendants stay at in order to see every inch of the ride in case something goes wrong, and also have their own E-Stops and ways to communicate to the ride's station.

The biggest issue with this incident is that Adventureland did not have proper observation points throughout the ride and also lacked the proper communication methods in order relay and react to the situation all the way from the ride operators to the park itself. It says much that emergency personnel arrived at the park and the park was still not fully aware of the situation transpiring.

JochemvdMeulen

Roller Poster
Most rapids rides have multiple observation points that attendants stay at in order to see every inch of the ride in case something goes wrong, and also have their own E-Stops and ways to communicate to the ride's station.
Humans are unreliable. and the ride will still work if there are no attendants at the observation points.

IMO its always batter to have backup

bmac

Giga Poster
Humans are unreliable. and the ride will still work if there are no attendants at the observation points.

IMO its always batter to have backup

You're asking for a safety system that would cause more problems for a ride than it already has. Humans can be unreliable, yes, but machines can't run these rides by themselves without some sort of human interface.

James F

Hyper Poster
Must be utterly heartbreaking for the families involved. The fatality was a 11 year old boy apparently .

Was this rapids ride for the same manufacturer as the one at Dreamworld? Not that it would make a huge connection, but I am interested to know.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Must be utterly heartbreaking for the families involved. The fatality was a 11 year old boy apparently .

Was this rapids ride for the same manufacturer as the one at Dreamworld? Not that it would make a huge connection, but I am interested to know.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk
Dreamworld rapids ride was made in-house by the park. Was pretty safe as well until they decided to make some illogical, unnecessary changes on the conveyor lift system. This one’s an Intamin.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
video here, kinda crazy. Doesn't show the flip but you see the raft already upside down from a second raft passing.

Mod Edit: Word of warning that, whilst this video isn't inherently graphic, it's rather unpleasant to watch. Viewer discretion is advised.

Last edited by a moderator: