What's new

Accident at Gröna Lund

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Even if reported to the right person, this does not mean that action will be taken.
Most "complaints" by guests are just random, or some thoosies who feel like they know a lot about rides when they don't. And if you called maintenance 10 times for nothing, just because a guest felt like something happened, you won't do the same for the 11th guest.

A friend and myself once had another kind of "incident". Upon riding a rollercoaster, we did realize that one bearing made some scratching sounds on the lifthill. As we had a fast pass for that day, we did what every sensible thoosie would do - we rode in different rows to find the wheel in question, realizing that in additon to the sound, the wheel in question produced a jolt every rotation.
It was already clear to us that the bearing had an issue - this is not critical, as it still worked good enough, but we knew that it had to be replaced soon. So we told the ride-ops who called maintenance and told him which wheel it is, and what we experienced. It should be noted that he spoke close to no english, so it was not that easy to explain it to him.
Anyway, instead of simply taking a ride in the seat we told (and showed) him, that would have made it clear what happened, he stood on the lifthill for 2 rides to listen to the sounds (the catwalk was on the other side of the defect bearing), and then left without doing anything.

To be fair, when I was at the ame park a week later, the issue had been fixed.

Long story short: Even if they hear what you say, they might just don't act on the spot. Either to keep queues under control, or simply because they don't want to waste the time during the day.
That seems like a really piss poor attitude to have if you're operating or are responsible for the maintenance of a ride. I do hope you're not in either of those positions?

No matter how many times people get things wrong, not matter how many false reports, no matter how many nervous people confuse something normal for a problem, all reports should be taken seriously and looked into.

That 11th time will be the time your wheel assembly falls off!!!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Y'all would be so mad if they closed a ride every time a guest reported something. Nothing would ever be open.

Working at a park, I'd always quizz guests a bit to give me more details even if I thought they were reporting something completely benign, then forward it to management or technical with as much detail as possible.

There absolutely have been times a guest has said something that sounds *really bad* and I took it seriously, delayed operations on a busy AF day and it was a nothing burger.

And most guests just don't ever tell you anything - I've witnessed guests look concerned and TALK AMONGST THEMSELVES about a concern and have to interrupt to quizz them. The average park staff ain't gonna do that. Y'all wouldn't wanna be awkward and do that.

Please always report concerns to staff and if you think it's genuinely a hazard, make that very clear to them that they need to stop loading and get tech to look at it.

God, I remember someone on here causing a fuss about a gate - which is always open - being open, with such confidence on social media. Not sure if they bothered to tell ride staff but I don't think they would have accepted "oh that's supposed to be open" for an answer anyway.

It's a tricky one.

loefet

Roller Poster
Two days after the accident the Swedish Accident Investigation Authority found a factor on the train that may be the underlying cause of this accident.
They quickly discussed with Liseberg about it, most likely to inform them about it due to Lisebergbanan being of a similar design.

Lisebergbanans's new trains don't share this factor since they are significantly different and should be in that sense be OK to keep running as normal.

Liseberg, Gröna Lund and the Swedish Accident Investigation Authority are currently not going to share anything on this, until all the facts are in on the causes of this accident and why the restraints failed. Something that might take quite some time.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Liseberg, Gröna Lund and the Swedish Accident Investigation Authority are currently not going to share anything on this, until all the facts are in on the causes of this accident and why the restraints failed. Something that might take quite some time.
Either this is just PR talk for Liseberg to shut down the criticism or this could be something they ought to be sharing with other operators in Europe (and across the world, but I would imagine communication channels within the EU to be a bit more accessible) that are still running the old Schwarzkopf coaster trains (Vertigo in Italy and Big Blue in Croatia come to mind, I believe Nessie has newer trains already)?

loefet

Roller Poster
Either this is just PR talk for Liseberg to shut down the criticism or this could be something they ought to be sharing with other operators in Europe (and across the world, but I would imagine communication channels within the EU to be a bit more accessible) that are still running the old Schwarzkopf coaster trains (Vertigo in Italy and Big Blue in Croatia come to mind, I believe Nessie has newer trains already)?
In a way, since the documents got shown to journalists on Aftonbladet.
But I'm sure that Liseberg got asked since the factor is apparently pretty severe, and people at the Swedish Accident Investigation Authority/Gröna Lund happen to know that Liseberg have a similar coaster, just to make sure that they have it under control.
There was an article when they asked the lead investigator why Knightmare had seatbelts, where as Jetline didn't, and he had no clue..

Also How much in common do these Zierer/Schwarzkopf/BHS coasters have in common with other Schwarzkopf rides in general, I know that BHS made the track, but then what did Zierer/Schwarzkopf do/design?
The track design differs from all other Schwarzkopf rides, the raised section in the middle makes the wheel assemblies more complex since it have to go over the top of the track.
I know that Liseberg and Zierer were looking into geting magnetic brakes fitted to Lisebergbanan, but gave up due to not finding any space to put them. But it didn't stop them to do other redesigns before getting the new trains. There must be plenty that they have learned since Lisebergbanan first opened.

Apart from Lisebergbanan, Jetline and BMRX/Knightmare, there were another similar made by BHS/Meisho after the other ones, which shares a layout that is similar to BMRX and Jetline (apart from the big turn), and it's trains looks different than the other ones, not just OSTR but also longer cars and different wheel assemblies, brake system also differs. So it may be more Meisho in those trains.
Pictures: http://drkssk27.web.fc2.com/zekkyou/nasu/light/light.html

Another oddity is the Andalusia Railroad/Big Roller Coaster (https://rcdb.com/2867.htm) and Venus GP (https://rcdb.com/1195.htm) , which are BHS (which became a part of Maurer Söhne) where "Anton Schwarzkopf has especially designed the trains and their axle- and wheel assemblies, the lift system and the brakes." According to https://www.schwarzkopf-coaster.net/ESAndalusiaRailroad-KureGF.htm
Parts of the trains share striking similarities with the earlier rides, but the new track system removed the need of the raised section of between the wheel assemblies making the simpler.

Last edited:

Jonsson

Roller Poster
I know that Liseberg and Zierer were looking into geting magnetic brakes fitted to Lisebergbanan, but gave up due to not finding any space to put them. But it didn't stop them to do other redesigns before getting the new trains. There must be plenty that they have learned since Lisebergbanan first opened.
This is very interesting since Jetline actually is retrofitted with magnetic brakes, and thus the trains had to be modified. This is of course a major technical difference between the trains.

I don't know which company retrofitted Jetline with the magnetic brakes but it must have been done after Maurer modified the first drop in 2000. I remember riding Jetline with the original friction brakes and I rode it the first time in 2002, i.e after the modification to the drop.

loefet

Roller Poster
This is very interesting since Jetline actually is retrofitted with magnetic brakes, and thus the trains had to be modified. This is of course a major technical difference between the trains.

I don't know which company retrofitted Jetline with the magnetic brakes but it must have been done after Maurer modified the first drop in 2000. I remember riding Jetline with the original friction brakes and I rode it the first time in 2002, i.e after the modification to the drop.
That's what the CEO told me about it when we discussed the replacement of the trains of Lisebergbanan some time before Helix opened.
Just checked a recent POV to make sure that they still didn't found a way afterwards.

Must have been installed some time between 2003 and 2013, judging by the POVs on Youtube. I saw some articles stating that they were mounted in 2000 along with the modifications of the first drop-. But that can't be right due to the POV that is shot sometime after Wilda Musen (opened 2003) but before Insane (opened 2009) don't show them. Also the first coaster with dedicated magnetic brakes that I know of would be Superman ride of Steel that opened in 1999, so have them installed by 2000 is a bit quick, due to it being a new technology.

Trax

Hyper Poster
Also the first coaster with dedicated magnetic brakes that I know of would be Superman ride of Steel that opened in 1999, so have them installed by 2000 is a bit quick, due to it being a new technology.
The first ones were mounted on the Lethal Weapon coasters at Movie World Germany in 1996. So 2000 does not seem to unreasonable, but if a 2003 onride shows it without them, it is pretty clear that they weren’t installed at that point in time anyway.

Megamind

Roller Poster
Since the accident there have been, employees complaining about only been given 1 day of training before being put into maintenance duties:
I would take that with a grain of salt. There are A and B tests, where the first one is done by the operators themselves before opening the ride. You get like one hour walk through and then you are on your own the next day. However, these checks are very basic; Does it start when you turn the key? Do you hear strange noises? Is it on fire? Yes? Don't open and call a mechanic.

A bigger issue when it comes to operators is that there is no real selection where the park consider your technical interest/knowledge.

Are you good looking and service minded, but absolutely no interest in anything else than makeup? Let's put you on our popular rides.

Are you an awkward nerd that know every ride manual by heart? Yeah, kiddie rides for you all the way in the back.

Thus, wierd behaviour and noise will possibly not get picked up by the first type...

loefet

Roller Poster
I would take that with a grain of salt. There are A and B tests, where the first one is done by the operators themselves before opening the ride. You get like one hour walk through and then you are on your own the next day. However, these checks are very basic; Does it start when you turn the key? Do you hear strange noises? Is it on fire? Yes? Don't open and call a mechanic.

A bigger issue when it comes to operators is that there is no real selection where the park consider your technical interest/knowledge.

Are you good looking and service minded, but absolutely no interest in anything else than makeup? Let's put you on our popular rides.

Are you an awkward nerd that know every ride manual by heart? Yeah, kiddie rides for you all the way in the back.

Thus, wierd behaviour and noise will possibly not get picked up by the first type...
The person in question were a driver, but got the offer to become mechanic for the ride.
And after one day of training were supposed to know how to fix Jetline if it was broke as well as doing the daily maintenance. Something she wasn't 100% confident width.

Anyhow: the Prosecutor that is in charge of the inquiry in the case of Involuntary manslaughter that is ongoing due to the accident have confirmed that the lap-bars for the 3 people that fell out of the ride were released in the accident. And the woman that died did so most likely due to the fall, the other woman is still in the hospital and the man on the beam have been released.

Also the police have prohibited the use/modification of Jetline until further notice.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Y'all would be so mad if they closed a ride every time a guest reported something. Nothing would ever be open.

Working at a park, I'd always quizz guests a bit to give me more details even if I thought they were reporting something completely benign, then forward it to management or technical with as much detail as possible.

There absolutely have been times a guest has said something that sounds *really bad* and I took it seriously, delayed operations on a busy AF day and it was a nothing burger.

And most guests just don't ever tell you anything - I've witnessed guests look concerned and TALK AMONGST THEMSELVES about a concern and have to interrupt to quizz them. The average park staff ain't gonna do that. Y'all wouldn't wanna be awkward and do that.

Please always report concerns to staff and if you think it's genuinely a hazard, make that very clear to them that they need to stop loading and get tech to look at it.

God, I remember someone on here causing a fuss about a gate - which is always open - being open, with such confidence on social media. Not sure if they bothered to tell ride staff but I don't think they would have accepted "oh that's supposed to be open" for an answer anyway.

It's a tricky one.

Who said they had to ‘close the ride’ every time? As you alluded to in your post, there are other ways of looking into things, probing for more information, speaking with colleagues to ask if this is a recurring report, checking maintenance logs, phoning through for a more professional opinion… The one thing you should not do every time is ignore them. (Though it’s clear from your response you wouldn’t ‘ignore them’ anyway. )

shaunthatkid

Mega Poster
Am I right in saying a similar issue happened with knightmare with restraints? These rides will just be deemed to have reached the end of there service life at this point, will be interested to see if any changes is made to olympia also.

SimonProD

Mega Poster
Olympia had their trains completly refurbished a few years ago - but dunno what and where they did exactly. Alpina got new trains a few years ago. Hansa-Park also had Nessie's trains refurbished when they changed the theming - I assume as they have a bunch of Gerstlauer coasters that they went with them.

I assume a failure on Olympia might play out differently as they have a different restraint system with accordion shoulder clamps...

loefet

Roller Poster
A small update:
The last person in the hospital were released las Friday.
All the persons above 15 Years old have been heard by the Swedish Accident Investigation Authority about the accident, and they are currently trying to piece together the statments with the various scrapes/hits that is found on the track, to form a picture on where what happened.
The results of the investigation of the bogies are said to be completed next month, and the investigation of the accident as a whole is speeding along nicely. So if nothing unexpected is cropping up the the full report will be completed well before the stated 10-12 months that were stated earlier.

Source: https://www.dn.se/sverige/sista-grona-lund-patienten-utskriven-fran-sjukhus/

cookie

Giga Poster
Gröna Lund is cancelling their winter event for this year due to financial issues and low attendance following the accident. Anyone who’s already purchased tickets will be refunded.

The park’s halloween event will proceed as scheduled, however.

Last edited: