What's new

Accident at Alton Towers

Dar

Hyper Poster
There's a .zip folder at the bottom of this page http://press.hse.gov.uk/2016/alton-towers-owners-fined-over-smiler-crash/ that contains the CCTV footage and the expert witness report that details exactly what went wrong and why. Warning, it's 250 pages of the driest reading you've ever seen unless you do this for a living! Unfortunately it's been redacted to remove statements, names and other identifiable/confidential information. So appendices 1 and 2 are blank.

It's crazy that the empty train sat at the top of the batwing for 20 seconds before rolling back into the valley! If the wind had been blowing in the other direction this probably would never have happened.

Interesting to note that no issues were found with the operators or their working practices. (p21, pa. 48) It was 2 different engineers that weren't aware/told of the 5th train being added to the system and it was one of these that cleared the block, clearing this block is what allowed the full train to be sent under "evacuation mode", supposedly to get the riders off safely and get all the trains back into the station. (p5, pa. 10 - p7, pa. 15) He states that the ride and control system itself were robustly designed with an emphasis of "failing to safety". (p. 18, pa. 41) He wasn't happy with the training of engineers, with a lot of it being observational with little to no formal training.(p22, pa. 52)

He lists the errors that lead to the crash from page 25, paragraph 54. It seems 2 engineers weren't told about the 5th train, they didn't check the log book (because there was no official procedure to compel them to), so they were unaware of the 5th train. Having seen 3 trains in the station/brakes and the 4th train at the top of the lift, the engineer was satisfied he knew where all 4 trains were and cleared the block without checking the track because he felt there was no need because he had already accounted for all the trains he was aware of. Not to mention that he was under financial pressure to get the ride back open as quick as possible, with bonuses offered for minimal downtime and clocks in the op cabin to keep track of up/downtime.

All in all, a bit of a ****.

TheFlyerMan1

Roller Poster
Sorry, but if my IQ was lower than my coaster count, then:

dis how me talk

Sorry, but I'm actually defending Merlin. If you have a problem with that, take it private.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
TheFlyerMan1 said:
Sorry, but if my IQ was lower than my coaster count, then:

dis how me talk

Sorry, but I'm actually defending Merlin. If you have a problem with that, take it private.
Why can't you understand that they don't need defending?
To blame the victims is terrible! Yes Vicky did milk the situation, but so what. Merlin have claimed full responsibility so what are you defending them from exactly?

I really don't think a company who's just been fined £5million really gives a **** that "theflyerman1" thinks it's unfair and the victims are terrible people.

TheFlyerMan1

Roller Poster
I'm not saying everybody is at fault. I'm saying that maybe Vicky should pipe her large gob down and stop making the incident all about her and only her.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
TheFlyerMan1 said:
I'm not saying everybody is at fault. I'm saying that maybe Vicky should pipe her large gob down and stop making the incident all a-:xcensoredx:bout her.
She almost lost her bloody life due to incompetence of the staff that day! Yes she doesn't need to go to the papers all the time, but if she does, why does it effect you so personally that you have all this hate for her?

TheFlyerMan1

Roller Poster
owentaylor121 said:
TheFlyerMan1 said:
I'm not saying everybody is at fault. I'm saying that maybe Vicky should pipe her large gob down and stop making the incident all a-:xcensoredx:bout her.
She almost lost her bloody life due to incompetence of the staff that day! Yes she doesn't need to go to the papers all the time, but if she does, why does it effect you so personally that you have all this hate for her?

It's not my fault that I hate inconsiderate, selfish idiots like her. I'm annoyed that it happened, I feel sorry for the victims, but for people who say it's all about them, I take a strong loathing towards.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I'm afraid you are going way overboard here and are out of line, that's a disgusting attitude to have and you need to have a **** word with yourself.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
We've been gently mocking Vicky for a while now, and I don't really have an issue with that as her presence in the media makes it clear she wants to be talked about. What has been happening on CF in that regard is, however, very different to what it being said now. It's all been very tongue in cheek, rather than genuine personal attacks.

Please keep all personal attacks on the victims of this crash to yourself.

Nightmarezoo

Roller Poster
Long time lurker here, but first time poster...

I have been following this topic closely, one because I have a weird fascination with any amusement park accidents, and secondly because i have loved the whole "what vicky did next" comments. Yes they have all been tongue in cheek, and bloody funny, but none were an outright attack on girl.

Lets face it, that could have been any single one of us on that ride. Any one of us could have faced life changing injuries like these guys have. The only difference is, is that most of us enthusiasts know a lot more than general population about how roller coasters are designed/built/tested, and all the safety features that goes into every single one of these rides. That being said, the situation for an enthusiast could have been worse, not only could we of have a life changing injury, but one that could also have deeply affected our passion. There are a lot of rides these days where you cant ride if you don't have all 4 limbs!

If their way of coping with their injuries is to be in the papers week in week out then who are we to judge? Coming to terms with something like that is not easy, so let her do what she wants to, it isn't going to affect any single one of us!!

However something of this nature should NEVER have happened on a ride as new or technologically advanced as the smiler, but from my reading here, it has been a series of individual errors that have lead to this. A £5m fine for Merlin is not exactly a lot of money to them, but if this goes to make parks safer, and reassure the GP then hopefully some good can come out of all of this, except if the Health and Safety nuts clamp right down...hopefully not!!!

Now can everyone just play nice and we can continue in our gentle mocking of vicky.... :)

TheFlyerMan1

Roller Poster
Nightmarezoo said:
Long time lurker here, but first time poster...

I have been following this topic closely, one because I have a weird fascination with any amusement park accidents, and secondly because i have loved the whole "what vicky did next" comments. Yes they have all been tongue in cheek, and bloody funny, but none were an outright attack on girl.

Lets face it, that could have been any single one of us on that ride. Any one of us could have faced life changing injuries like these guys have. The only difference is, is that most of us enthusiasts know a lot more than general population about how roller coasters are designed/built/tested, and all the safety features that goes into every single one of these rides. That being said, the situation for an enthusiast could have been worse, not only could we of have a life changing injury, but one that could also have deeply affected our passion. There are a lot of rides these days where you cant ride if you don't have all 4 limbs!

If their way of coping with their injuries is to be in the papers week in week out then who are we to judge? Coming to terms with something like that is not easy, so let her do what she wants to, it isn't going to affect any single one of us!!

However something of this nature should NEVER have happened on a ride as new or technologically advanced as the smiler, but from my reading here, it has been a series of individual errors that have lead to this. A £5m fine for Merlin is not exactly a lot of money to them, but if this goes to make parks safer, and reassure the GP then hopefully some good can come out of all of this, except if the Health and Safety nuts clamp right down...hopefully not!!!

Now can everyone just play nice and we can continue in our gentle mocking of vicky.... :)

More salt on those fries? Okay.

I am not trying to say that I wish the crash happened on her. I'm just saying.

Okay, I'll play along with this whole joke.

On the 2nd June 2015 Vicky was in a coaster crash and was rescued.

What Vicky did next was unbelievable.

She.
Was.
Selfish.

:shock:

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yeah, come on now. We all know one of the victims has capitalised on it more so than the others, and I have no problems with people calling her out on it, but there's a difference between eye rolling and being damn right nasty. We all want this to move on so people have trust in theme parks again, but the more airtime we give to the crash celebrities, the more time trashy media will dedicate to them.

Talking of which, I LOLd at yesterday's Daily Mirror where they were insisting that Nick Varney step down. They will run a campaign against him and Merlin, mark my words!

Tomatron

Giga Poster
^A crap campaign calling for Nick Varney to resign one week, whilst flogging their advertising space to Merlin and promoting £10 theme park token collect tickets in a month's time. Sounds about right!

The keyboard warrior nonsense over Vicky Balch is out of order. As the more refined members have said, it's time to move on and stop going after the things which don't deserve our attention.

The park didn't have necessary control failsafes in place to avoid a worst case scenario. Worst case scenario happened. Merlin admit liability, and the poor folks who were maimed will be cared for life, and rightly so. A £5 million kick up the arse and as a consequence, a gentle warning for any leisure facility which isn't up to scratch on its health and safety, and a big warning for any leisure facility dare they put turnover/profit over safety.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
rob666 said:
I'm amazed that the Smiler court case only made it to page 11 of today's Mirror.
Because people don't care if there is no danger and nobody got hurt. They only want to hear how dangerous the Smiler is.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
rob666 said:
I'm amazed that the Smiler court case only made it to page 11 of today's Mirror.
Far more important things to read about. What's Kate Middleton wearing today?

Pierre

Strata Poster
I've never really noticed Vicky's 'cashing in' just a few tv appearances. But she was on tv AGAIN this morning and I've just seen her Twitter pop up on my timeline.... jeeeeezzzz I see where the jibes are coming from now :lol: