What's new

Accident at Alton Towers

Haha I like skim read one of those news stories, saw Air in the headline and then completely missed the word Monorail. Afterwards I was like wait a minute how can any of that story have been true?!

What will come next?

'children left wet after water from log flume splashes them in THE FACE'

'riders buffeted with insects on RITA'

'guests left feeling nauseous after Sonic Spinball's trains started VIOLENTLY SPINNING'

'riders left with migraines after repetitive latching sound as Nemesis ascends lift hill'

'Oblivion riders LEFT STRANDED for one second as car stops right above 55m drop'

Reading the comments of the readers of these newspapers, I can definitely tell that most people, are getting as annoyed and as bored as us about this constant rubbish the media is spewing to get viewership. The only news story's people have a positive response to now is the ones of the victims progress. But it just seems now its just scaremongering and quite a lot of the GP are fed up with now as well, and rightly so!

How much more crap will the media put out. This is starting to sound like there is a bounty out there. To kill of the park or to try and trash the industry in the UK.

Chris Brown said:
'guests left feeling nauseous after Sonic Spinball's trains started VIOLENTLY SPINNING'

Perfect! hahaha,

I agree with what's been said further up and I've definitely noticed the public are beginning the question the media stance against Alton more as this sorry saga has been dragged out.

And now - Alton Towers brings you: "Sonic Spinball Crashes"

Of course, that's how the press are putting it. Alton Towers are saying one car "nudged a stationary car at walking speed".

Either way, it can't be put down to a simple case of mis-reporting standard ride procedure as being an accident - this actually WAS an accident. Two cars bumped into each other and one man was taken to hospital.

It'll be impossible to defend Alton Towers on social media now...

Plus, it happened on one of the rides that had been closed for "enhanced safety procedures and additional training".

Methinks Alton Towers is screwed!

^That is really bad luck to be fair.

Alton will be fine, but they do need to stop crashing coasters sooner rather than later.

^^The difference is though, if they keep their confidence up and continue saying it was 'a nudge at walking speed', I can't really see Merlin letting this go out of hand, like with the Smiler.

Is it really rare that the trains touch gently in the station though? I mean especially with a continuously moving station. Obviously I wasn't there so can't comment on how violent the touching was, but it doesn't sound too bad. Shame the media are creating a **** storm at the moment...

Don't worry. Reading the comments, even the most stupid people are realising now that the media is just being bullsh*tty with ten news articles about Alton Towers accidents every day. The Spinball thing isn't going to make a difference, nor will Alton Towers shut down permanently.

spacebum said:
spicy said:
I agree the Air and Monorail articles are rediclulous but did I miss something here?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/al ... ch-5981926

Vicky Balch has had her leg amputated too??

I think the reporting of that got hidden by all the bashing that the media have been doing. Either that or some places are slow to report on the actual news.
It was on Page 48 of this thread - the lawyer released the news last week. Easily missed among everything else though.

Man, although this all just overhype of minor things this really is bad luck and I cringe for the PR people at AT/Merlin.

To be fair, Spinball shouldn't be touching in the station (or brakes) at all...

Maybe the heat messed up the sensors? I know Fury and Spinball both struggle when the ride is heavy and tend to slip and crash at times, but I've never known problems in the heat...

I wouldn't mind if they removed Spinball tbh...

Jesus...this is starting to sound like the media after Fury325 opened and we had almost 2 months worth of "Stuck at 325ft. Is this ride safe?" bs from earlier in the year.

People who're saying from comments sections it suggests most people are fed up of the scaremongering stories too, should take a look at Alton Towers trending on Twitter.

Ben said:
I found it interesting as well that according to the accidents page on Wiki Alton Mouse had a similar accident back in the day.
Guess all the work we do keeping our Accidents page up to date is for not when our own members don't even use it and choose wiki instead. :roll:

My god...what an awful piece of reporting. How on earth did the man get so-called 'head injuries' from a small nudge? That's probably one of the most exaggerated eyewitness accounts I've ever read.

However, it must be said that evacuations have actually become much more common recently. I'd suggest that this is a result of new safety procedures, evacuating rather than resetting. Pure speculation, but could that be the cause of the actual accident? Dunno.