What's new

Accident at Alton Towers

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ Yes, I read that on the AP newswire the other day.

My sources within the industry (who do not work at Alton Towers, I hasten to add) are expecting a low key reopening late this season subject to HSE approval. With the low gate figures and profit warnings recently issued, I'm still convinced it makes commercial sense to open it this year rather than next.

They have made some safety monitoring modifications, it won't be rethemed and the Daily Star is the only "notable" media outlet with their tanks still parked on Alton Towers' lawn. The story is slowly fading out.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Cars have been fully testing with two going round and one loading, the past few days, new signs have been placed round the area, ect. Can see this opening in the next week or so now.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I'm glad (it looks like) its reopening, a few months have passed now, those who were injured will obviously have to deal with their horrific injuries for the rest of the lives, but it does make sense to Alton Towers to open it before next season...I expect there will be media coverage when it first opens, I can see it now, BBC Breaking, Alton Towers reopens the Smiler Rollercoaster, but in a way that is a little bit of free advertising for the park! Yeah, I'm glad it's opening again.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Just seen people discussing this on TT.

We have causation confirmation.

As many enthusiasts expected, it was human error in the form of a manual override.

We also have more official comments pointing towards an imminent reopening.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... money.html

The mirror also has a similar article.

Not sure who to believe regarding the profits thing, we know merlin are worried about the drop on profits (shareholders etc) but we also know that Vicky is unlikely to be thrilled at the news of the rides' reopening. Hopefully they did have some tact.

Glad we've got some more facts though.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
I can't exactly imagine him going round there and telling her "we've lost loads of money, because of you", which is how she's making it sound. If the report of true (unlikely), then she seems very self-centered, coming out with, " this happened to me on their ride, why would they want to open so quickly?."

I get that she doesn't want to see the ride reopening, but we know there's nothing wrong with the actual ride itself and there's no real reason why it shouldn't be reopened.

ems991

Roller Poster
I was just coming on here to post the Mirror article. I seriously doubt that he worded news of a reopening like that as both Nick Varney and Merlin have handled the situation so well in the last few months. I also doubt that the Smiler reopening would generate enough money to remove the losses they have suffered.
Reopening a rollercoaster (no matter how significant) would not compensate for the trust that was lost in the park in the immediate aftermath as a result of sensationalist reporting from the tabloids and thus the drop in visitor numbers (also the weather hasn't helped either).

Moreover if it was human error rather than ride error I see no fault with reopening sooner rather than later.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
^That's why it seems better if they open it this season, to get all of the negative publicity out of the way before next season starts.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
ems991 said:
I was just coming on here to post the Mirror article. I seriously doubt that he worded news of a reopening like that as both Nick Varney and Merlin have handled the situation so well in the last few months. I also doubt that the Smiler reopening would generate enough money to remove the losses they have suffered.
Reopening a rollercoaster (no matter how significant) would not compensate for the trust that was lost in the park in the immediate aftermath as a result of sensationalist reporting from the tabloids and thus the drop in visitor numbers (also the weather hasn't helped either).

Moreover if it was human error rather than ride error I see no fault with reopening sooner rather than later.
It's not that it's going to repay or remove the losses' what they have lost (as that has already happened) but more about reducing it's impact on future revenues. I wasn't sure whether you meant it like that or not with what you said.
As people have said previously a lot of people have been holding off visiting due to the closure. They want to minimise the future impact.

Seems like the wait is probably on H&S now. I suppose we know the main detail now. Info on any upgrades would be nice for the coaster nerds but we might not get that now that they've give us this info.

ems991

Roller Poster
I just find it hard to believe that that many people would hold off on visiting for one ride no matter how impressive. My mindset is more to take the opportunity to go while it's quiet now even if I'm missing one ride. I travelled up there a few times over the summer and to be honest whilst it felt like I was missing something I ended up doing do much more and getting my moneys worth!

I get the reducing impact on future revenues bit however.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Scummy article in a scummy paper pushed through by a scummy lawyer. Quelle surprise.

Yes, what happened to her was horrible, no, it should not have happened, yes, she has every right to be angry at the situation, but you'd think her life has been ruined, as if nobody has ever managed to live a life with a prosthetic limb before?

Proper woe is me vanity article right down to IT WAS ALL GOING SO WELL WITH DAN UNTIL THIS NOW WHO'LL WANT ME

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah basically she's worried she's not attractive any more.

Does she not realise money is more attractive than a leg?

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Why is this girl still begging for attention?
Yes it was terrible what happened to her but it seems it's only her family where the word money keeps being brought up.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
ems991 said:
I just find it hard to believe that that many people would hold off on visiting for one ride no matter how impressive.
Obviously I can't speak for everyone, but the Smiler being closed is exactly the reason that myself and several friends haven't been to Alton this year. If you're a thrill-seeker or an enthusiast then why would you go to a park where the biggest, most exciting ride is closed? Especially given how much it costs to get in there...

For the GP I'm sure confidence in the park has been dented as well, but once the ride has been re-opened I can see attendance levels getting back to normal.

Smithy

Strata Poster
owentaylor121 said:
Why is this girl still begging for attention?
Yes it was terrible what happened to her but it seems it's only her family where the word money keeps being brought up.

Tbf, she's not, she's being advised (and she'll likely be paid for these stories) by her lawyers whose interests are to keep the story as prominent as possible to help secure a greater pay-off. It's basically him showing Merlin the damage he feels he can cause, that he can make sure goes away if the financial settlement is high enough.

mouse said:
^ Depends on the leg.

Poor Nick, just when he thought he was almost of the hook...

Well if it's like the other one...

Nah, can't go through with that joke, finish it off yourself.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
witchfinder said:
ems991 said:
I just find it hard to believe that that many people would hold off on visiting for one ride no matter how impressive.
Obviously I can't speak for everyone, but the Smiler being closed is exactly the reason that myself and several friends haven't been to Alton this year. If you're a thrill-seeker or an enthusiast then why would you go to a park where the biggest, most exciting ride is closed? Especially given how much it costs to get in there...

For the GP I'm sure confidence in the park has been dented as well, but once the ride has been re-opened I can see attendance levels getting back to normal.
I also thought about going this season (before the accident) but I have put off my trip, partly because I don't have the smiler cred but also due to wanting to wait for this stuff to blow over a bit more (and also due to time). I think we discussed this point earlier in the thread but their social media pages are full of people asking when the ride is going to reopen.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Sorry for the double post but saw some further info on another article.

"Alton Towers bosses told the Balch family that a ride operator and an engineer were at fault for overriding the system which had stopped Vicky’s car at the top of an incline, causing it to smash into an empty car on the track.

They face disciplinary action and are believed to have undergone counselling."

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/mi ... e-10145821