What's new

A weird day at Alton Towers 30/10/09

Brookes

Giga Poster
I wasn't going to a trip report for when I went to yesterday until some weird things meant it was the strangest day I've ever had there.

So yesterday me and some of my mates went to Towers for Scarefest we went a bit later as we were planning on staying till late. We got in at about 1 to see pretty much everything had a big queue. The rapids still seemed to be quite short so we went for them. Got quite wet pretty good as always.

Next I wanted to a coaster so we went to Nemesis to stick out a very long queue, must have been at least an hour, but when we finally got on it was fairly forceful, but the Twilight music in the station and in the queue was so annoying.

Next we thought we might aswell get a quick ride on Blade seeing as there was a short queue.

After we went and looked at queues and all the coasters were huge so we went to do Enterprise as we had been on the other side of the park for ages. Probably my best ride on Enterprise was really forceful.

So by now we were hungry so went to Burger King in Cloud Cuckoo Land, and by the time we came out it was nearly dark. So we went and got in the Rita queue which seemed to be a while, but we wanted to ride it in the dark. Had a good look at SW6 aswell which is looking good.

This is where it starts going weird, we must have queued for at least an hour when boom, all the lights, everything goes off. Powercut. No-one knew what to do everyone was just screaming, and the ride-ops had no idea what was going on. Someone said the whole park was down so we just stayed for a bit to see what was going on. After a bit a ride-op came down the queue and said that Ugland, Hex and the Towers, X-Sector and Spinball had all had powercuts.

So after a while of waiting we decided to just leave the queue as we had had of enough of waiting. As we were walking down the street to the archway everything was just pitch black with people waiting at the archway till everything re-opened and ride-ops just telling people to get out the area. As you looked back at the Towers everything just looked pitch black.

So, after being annoyed at just standing for 2 hours for nothing, we went over to Nemesis as apparently it was still open. On the way we went in the toilets by Duel to find all the water had gone off! So no electricity in one half and one water in the other half of the park! When we got to Nemesis, somehow it only had like a 20 minute queue. So we got on front row in the dark and it was one of my best rides on Nemesis ever. Really forceful, just fantastic.

As we were in the Nemesis station guess what we heard on the speaker..."Rita, Oblivion and Spinball have re-opened." So after Nemesis we bombed it over to Oblivion as there was only like half hour left of the park open, got a front row in the dark, absolutely fantastic.

Then ran over to Rita and I was lucky enough to get a front row as there was one person on their own and I was on my own. Really wanted to do Rita in the dark and never thought I would when I was standing there in pitch black with no movement at all. But I finally did and it was a great ride, amazing in the front in the dark, and gave a great view of SW6.

With what must have been 2 minutes of the park still being open we ran round again to have another go.

It was a really strange day for us, even without the powercut, probably because we were used to no queues throught September and the first half of October. I'm a bit gutted I didn't get to do more in the dark but we were just unlucky with the powercut and where we were at the time. Didn't get to do any of the Halloween things due to the massive queues they had and the big waste of time from the powercut, but we couldn't do anything about it.

So not the best of ride counts, but it was definitely worth going for front row Nemmy, Oblivion and Rita in the dark, even if we had to miss out some other things.

yinyang

Mega Poster
Sounds weird, but a really cool and nice day in the end. Nemesis is much better in the dark. would have been interesting to see the powercut inside terror of the towers as the effects and lights that they do have would have been down, so the actors trying to scare you, would be helping you get out. :) good to hear you had a rad day though

Ollie

CF Legend
^They'd have a back up power/generator I think wouldn't they? and the actors would still stay in character unless something major was wrong and they needed to evacuate.

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
When i went in Terror of the Towers it broke down, well the lgihts went down and they do have back up generators, but this guy who was all dressed in black didn't speak but just pointed to the exit, it was quite cool.

Good report, all the big rides are so much better in the dark.

Brookes

Giga Poster
^Yeah I bet.

And all they had in the areas was emergency lights which were petrol generated I think, and there was no back up for all the lights or the rides in X-Sector, Ugland or Spinball. Apparently the park is run on 3 different electricity supplies, and the one that supplies to those areas went down and there was no back-up. It was a really strange but cool experience, just walking round with no-one around in pretty much pitch black.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I went Alton yesterday and it was dead. Seriously. Dead.

The park had virtually no queues whatsoever, everything was basically walk on. I heard that the previous days were rammed, but it was probably the most dead I have ever seen Alton, more dead than Corkscrew day.

It was amazing though.

yinyang

Mega Poster
^ that's because, although most park round of Halloween celebrations and events to the last day of the week that Halloween is on, most people only want to visit the park on the run up to Halloween and Halloween itself, thus a great day can be had by the few that attend just after Halloween.

"Simples" :)

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ I am aware of that, plus the fact it pissed down most of the day contemplated the general attendance of the event.

Ben

CF Legend
We were in the Rita queue for the power cut too! Yay! It sucked, but, yay :p

We had an odd day, just did Terror of the Towers, didn't do Rita, and then left...