What's new

A good day out

Enicomb

Mega Poster
...no this isn't a PTR.

I've just been wondering about ride counts and wondered what the collective (that'd be you guys of CF...as this seemed to most appropriate place) thought; even though this topic may well have been discussed before).

Basically after visiting Alton towers a couple of days last week getting a ride count of 18 (including re-rides obviously) on the first day (which I thought was below average) and 22 on the second (which I thought was slightly above average); I wondered what you would think of as a good ride count for a day? Or even are you that bothered how many you get in a day/so long as you ride all the rides at least once you went to ride? Or maybe you're not bothered about how many you ride at all?

Personally I like to get 20 rides in a day (no matter what the time of year or the park) so you can imagine how disappointing it was on my first visit to CWoA (in the height of summer last year) only getting on 13 rides and then a mere 16 at Thorpe a day later, (these numbers went up to 18 and 24 respectively in September, but still nothing compared to Oakwood (39), Camelot (30), PBB (33)).

IMO 20 is what I aim for, less than 15 would be poor, more than 25 would be a good day and more than 30 well the place must have dead. What does anyone else think?

note: I've never used SRQ so have no idea how many rides you could get in with that.

Hope that all makes sense...

I know it sounds cliché, but as long as I'm at a park with good company then it's bound to be an enjoyable day out.

Saying that though, ultimately I'm at a theme park to ride rides, but if it's a park I go to loads then I'd be happy with about 5 or 6. For a park I don't go to often or a park I'd only ever visit once I'd like to get the main rides done. It's fair enough getting 15 rides in but if they're all on the carousel then it's a bit crap. :lol:

To be honest you shouldn't judge how good a day is by the number of rides you get on. As long as you enjoy the day, as a whole that's what matters.

On a normal day, the day would be concidered a failure if I don't leave with plus 30 rides at Thorpe. It makes the visit worthwhile and actually fun if I have targets.

Alton is about the same. Other parks I'm not so worried about, but I have a target I need to beat for this year which is about 717 rides.

Theres days like Lives though where it doesn't matter so much as theres other things to keep the mind from wandering...

I've never really wanted to get a high ride count at a theme park. I just ride whatever I can/feel like doing and I'm happy if I only do the rides once each.

I'm happy if I do most of the rides, but I really enjoy my day if I do over 15 rides including rerides :) I'm dreading Saturday, I'm off to Alton and it is likely to be packed.

As long as I do the main attractions 2-3 times I'm satisfied. If the queues are too hefty though I don't bother since I don't want to spend the entire day waiting in the lines...

Rush said:
. It's fair enough getting 15 rides in but if they're all on the carousel then it's a bit crap. :lol:

I meant to mention that in my OP; it's kinda pointless, say, riding Duel or Ripsaw a whole bunch of times just to get a lot of rides in in a day.

I don't see counting rides as childish (as in immature to want to get as many goes as possible in a day) but more 'getting your money's worth' for want of a better term.

Of course going to theme parks is all about enjoyment, and if that means not riding as much as possible, so be it. I'm just wondering what others think; whether that be getting lots of rides in or being happy with say less than 6?

Not bothered with ride counts if I've been on the ride before.

Generally (in Alton) I usually get on each ride atleast once, and Oblivion and Nemesis tend to get the most rerides, probably about 3/4 each.

I'm usually satisfied with that, and felt I've got my monies worth.

As Rush said, it's the company I am with. A good day out can still be 4/5 rides at Thorpe with a 12 hour opening. I guess it is what people prefer. I'm not really keen on trying to get as many rides in a day as possible (especially re-rides). I prefer my day a lot more relaxed.

Yes, naturally I do try to get as many rides as possible, but I won't come away feeling disappointed if I didn't hit a "target". For me you cannot place a number of rides that will amount to a good day out, because you can have a good day out regardless of how much you ride. It also depends on brake downs, how busy it is etc. So for me there is no number that you can say for all park visits as they are all different.

I've done the SoCal parks so many times that I just don't care. There are a few rides I want to get on, but other than that, what I ride...I ride. It doesn't really change my opinion on the day.

Who gives a toss about how many times they ride a day? :roll:
If it's a new park then I try to get all the creds, but otherwise I'm there to have a good time. That's really all that counts & I can have a great time without riding much. One of my favorite days was hanging out at SFGAdv for 6 hours with Snoo & UC waiting for the rain to stop. We didn't get many rides in, but had a blast. Besides, trying to get in a certain amount of rides in can actually spoil what could otherwise be a fun day.

I have vowed this year to not keep count, I have a job to keep up with Leigh so not going to punish myself, he can go around again whilst I catch my breath or have a coffee.

The only exception would be if Stealth had and empty single ride queue, you can't get too much of Stealth.

I still enjoy the parks more with good company live on mini meets like Chessie this year.

A-Kid said:
On a normal day, the day would be concidered a failure if I don't leave with plus 30 rides at Thorpe. It makes the visit worthwhile and actually fun if I have targets.

It sounds like a break from the place might be good? Obviously it's up to you how you spend your day, but if you can't enjoy it, and consider it a failure, unless you can whore that many rides then surely the monotony of doing the same thing at the same park so often is getting to you.

Personally, I don't get any enjoyment out of whoring rides, and I don't bother counting at all. Ok, so I'll have a rough idea of what I've ridden, and how many times I've ridden it, but I've never kept a count while I'm at the park, and certainly never considered "targets" for how many rides make a visit worthwhile.

If it's a new park, I'll ride all the coasters and any flats and water rides that seem interesting. If I have time to get some re-rides on the stuff I've liked, which I usually can, then great. The only time I've really whored coasters was at Janfusun since I was literally stuck for 8 hours in a dead park waiting for the bus at the end of the day, and G5 and Insane Speed are very rerideable.

I suppose that's what some enthusiasts would love, but to be honest I would've been happier with a few rides of each and being able to leave the park earlier and do something else with my time.

If it's a park I've been to a few times, then I'll have my "must ride" coasters I suppose, but I don't feel cheated if I only ride them once or twice. Vadge, Rach and I had a great day at a dead Alton at the end of last season where we could have easily whored coasters all day, but instead just rode everything once or twice and actually enjoyed the park.

It's worth getting creds at a new park, but I don't care too much about total number of rides. The other day at Chessie I got on 5 in total, but I had a really relaxed day, so I still enjoyed it. People get too obsessed about ride counts.