What's new

5 Most Unique Roller Coasters

metalhead7

Mega Poster
I know this is kind of a broad topic, but what 5 rollercoasters are most unique in their design and experience riding them

For me I have to say

X (X2)
The Ultimate
Nemesis Inferno
Expedition Everest
Son of Beast

I know there is alot more unique coasters out their, so im deffinitely hoping too hear other people's opinion, remember, this isnt about most thrilling, its about most unique.

CMonster

Giga Poster
X2
Furius Baco
(I hate to say it but)Thirteen... just cause of the indoor part.
Battlestar Galactica
Winjas? I don't know much about it, but it seems like it because of some parts...

madhjsp

Giga Poster
metalhead7 said:
X (X2)
The Ultimate
Nemesis Inferno
Expedition Everest
Son of Beast

Pretty fair list. I might nix Nemesis Inferno & Son of Beast and replace them with Hollywood:Rip Ride, Rockit and Volcano. But like you said there are a lot of coasters out there that have elements that make them 'unique.'

http://rcdb.com/1290.htm?p=10325

Take this one, for instance. Nothing particularly novel about the layout, except for the underwater drop with splash effects. Few coasters have that - in fact Anaconda at KD is the only other one I can think of that does.

I'd even say that all 3 of the gigacoasters are unique, because despite the distinctive height they share in common, they all have vastly different layouts - all of which aren't quite like those found in smaller coasters. SD2000 is unique because of its sheer size, MF is because it features a lot of high overbank turns and speed rather than the airtime hills of a traditional hyper, and I305 is because it stays low to the ground and takes sharp turns at high speed after the initial huge drop.

nadroJ

CF Legend
UC said:
Nemesis Inferno? Why?
Seconded, seriously, why?

I'd have to say the Chance Toboggan I went on on Clacton Pier, absolutely surreal.

Also I feel I have to mention Tornado at Bakken, it took everyone by surprise and I've yet to experience anything quite like it. In fact, I think we were all in agreement that everything at Bakken had some little quirk that made it stand out from normal rides.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
That I've ridden:

Gravity Max - I don't think I really need to explain why.

Atlantis Adventure - Ok, so Maverick is a development of the Aquatrax idea, but AA is still the only coaster of its type, and doesn't ride like anything else I've tried.

Bullfight Rollercoaster Matador - Rubbish coaster, but really unique theming and "bullring" section in the middle.

Thirteen - Not a favourite by any stretch, but the indoor "surprise" is unlike anything else.

Momonga - Again, not very good, but I can't think of any other coaster off the top of my head that let's you choose between a sit-down or stand-up ride. I'm sure someone will come along in a minute and prove me wrong, so my back-up choice is...

Fantasia Special - purely for having the world's only triple corkscrew

A

Anonymous

^ There are two other coasters that you can choose between sit down and stand up that I'm aware of.
Milky Way at Mitsui Greenland lets you choose between sit down and stand up (but they are 2 completely different coasters though).
Star Jet at Washuzan Highland have the choice between stand up and sit down backwards on the same coaster though.

There is a stand up coaster at Rusutsu Resort that have the same layout as Momonga, though I'm not sure if it have the sit down/stand up choice...

Though I pretty much agree with your list though, even though Bullfight Rollercoaster Matador is a bit iffy. I would probably add Tranan there instead.

andrus

Giga Poster
Furius Baco - only wing walker

Insane - a real zacspin (the other ones are so short that it's a joke)

Tranan - only free fly coaster

Gravity Max - the only one with it's kind of lift/drop I think

Winjas Fear & Force - pretty unique with all it's crazy elements (indoor, elevator lift, tilting/direction-changing/bouncing track and very odd theming)

Anac0nda

Mega Poster
andrus said:
Insane - a real zacspin (the other ones are so short that it's a joke)
So true.

Insane is also on my list.

Boomerangs. Heck, they DO go backwards and forwards. I think it's cool.

Lisebergbanan. Unbelievable customized layout, one of the best ever.

Poseidon. Kinda meh ride, but it still transforms from a rollercoaster to a boat ride.

Mack Bobsled. No track, the trains run freely!

CMonster

Giga Poster
^ I agree, maybe Everest is a better example of a unique ride going backwards and forwards? Although, even Everest is stretching it a bit...

A

Anonymous

I305
X2
Eejanaika
Volcano
Furious Baco
Zacspins (all of them) haha
Maurer Söhne (they make some crazy ****)

also Thirteen gets an honorable mention

A

Anonymous

^ Yeah I broke the rules huh? hope I don't get in any trouble... oh well :wink: