What's new

2009 Mitch's Steel Coaster Poll

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
rollermonkey said:
Jerry:
Teststreck is a mouse... not a Silver Arrow/Looping Star. I'm confused.
Since when did a Schwarzkopf double-looper become a mouse? :?
Teststrecke is now the most popular coaster on the German fair circuit & is a vast improvement over Laser (which it was until last year when it was purchased & moved back to Germany) thanks to the new low profile F1 style trains. It should be added to the Traveling section with Olympia Looping, Alpina Bahn & Hollenblitz. Gorky Park should be added to the Russian parks section so that EuroStar can be put there, since it's no longer on the German Fair circuit.
You have the other Schwarzkopf double-looper: Colossus the Fire Dragon, listed separately at Lagoon, so why not give Teststrecke the same separate listing (especially since it's a better coaster)? There were a few of us who rode it this year & would rank it highly, plus more of us will be riding it next year. Please add this to your notes for next year's poll, ok bud? :wink:

marc

CF Legend
Cheers rollermonkey for your help with this.

Final question then I am done. What would Scorpian come under at BGA, as I love that coaster so want to make sure I put it where it should be on my list.

After this I am done :)

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
It's a Schwarzkopf Silver Arrow, so it would go under Fav Loop. Star/S.Arr. At least that where I put it. :wink:
It took me about 3 hours, but I finally got mine submitted. :roll:

marc

CF Legend
Thanks Jerry, I guessed right then :)

Will submit mine now, took about 2 hours in total to complete.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
East Coast(er) General said:
It's a Schwarzkopf Silver Arrow, so it would go under Fav Loop. Star/S.Arr. At least that where I put it. :wink:
It took me about 3 hours, but I finally got mine submitted. :roll:

Wait. What? Which one is a Silver Arrow? Teststreck or EuroStar?

I really don't know anything about the travelling European coasters, so ya gotta dumb it down for me!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
rollermonkey said:
Wait. What? Which one is a Silver Arrow? Teststreck or EuroStar?
Neither.
marc said:
What would Scorpian come under at BGA
Scorpion is the Silver arrow.

rollermonkey said:
I really don't know anything about the travelling European coasters, so ya gotta dumb it down for me!
Here's the deal Chris:
Laser, the Schwarzkopf double-looper that stood at Dorney park, was sold to the German company Meyer & Rosenzweig last year. They completely overhauled the coaster, including buying new low-profile F1 prototype trains, renamed it Teststrecke and put it on the German fair circuit this year. It made it's debut at the Hamburg Dom this summer, where a few of us got to ride it. It also made an appearance at the Stuttgart Volksfest, where some more CFers got a chance to try it out. Next season it is slated to make many more appearances, including return engagements in Hamburg & Stuttgart, due to it's overwhelming popularity http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teststrecke_(Achterbahn). So please include it in the Traveling (DE) section of the steel coasters poll with Olympia Looping, Alpina Bahn, Spinning Racer & Hollenblitz.
EuroStar, the world's only traveling invert, was taken off the German fair circuit in 2008 when it was sold to Gorky Park in Moscow where it now permanently resides http://www.rcdb.com/4242.htm. Therefore I ask that you remove it from the Traveling (DE) coasters & add Gorky Park to the list of Russian parks.
Is that dumbed down enough? And do you want to check out the German fairs to ride some traveling coasters with me? I'd love to have you join me on my next trip.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Yes, Jerry, thank you! That's perfect!

I'd heard about Eurostar back when it was new, but never thought about it for the poll. That certainly makes sense to add. It was probably added in 2008 (per RCDB) but not rediscovered until after the 2008 poll went live. (See also: Australian coasters)

Teststreck - OK. I did not know that it (Laser) was on the European fair circuit. Last I'd heard, it had been bought by a South American company, but was getting refurbished in Germany before heading down.

Or maybe I'm getting it mixed up with Doppel Looping?

I absolutely want to go ride some of the major travelling coasters! I just don't know when that's going to happen...

tks

Strata Poster
I cba doing something like this. Too much effort for something which means f'all. Too many enthusiasts are "persuaded" into liking a ride, or just dislike a ride because it's cool to do so.

I know what rides I like and what i'd consider my favourite.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
tks said:
I cba doing something like this. Too much effort for something which means f'all. Too many enthusiasts are "persuaded" into liking a ride, or just dislike a ride because it's cool to do so.

I know what rides I like and what i'd consider my favourite.
you're such a miserable sod.

I vote for the reasons you give for not voting.

A

Anonymous

Put my pathetically small list in. Support going to Nemesis, Nemesis Inferno, Colossus, Shockwave and Oblivion and I've condemned G Force and Saw: The Ride :p.

CreditCrazy

Hyper Poster
Sent my ballot in a couple days ago.

Top 20:

1. Millennium Force
2. Maverick
3. X2
4. Favorite Wooden Coaster (Voyage)
5. Goliath (SFMM)
6. Phantom's Revenge
7. Xcelerator
8. Diamondback
9. Magnum XL-200
10. Top Thrill Dragster
11. Medusa (west)
12. Raptor
13. Batman The Ride
14. California Screamin'
15. Flight Deck (CGA)
16. Speed The Ride
17. Wicked
18. Colossus The Fire Dragon
19. Wicked Twister
20. Gemini

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
B & Mmmm said:
Put my pathetically small list in. Support going to Nemesis, Nemesis Inferno, Colossus, Shockwave and Oblivion and I've condemned G Force and Saw: The Ride :p.

:lol:
I already suspected that Saw will be the lowest ranked New for 2009 coaster in the poll...

Possibly the lowest ranked new for the current year in any iteration of the poll.
:lol:

Gazza

Giga Poster
^Mick Doohans Motocoaster at Dreamworld got second last place (Behind Goudurix) when it was first polled in 2007.

marc

CF Legend
It will be interesting to see where Saw the Ride comes out tbh.

Just about everyone that I know that has done a lot of coasters has ranked it quite low, for me its number 70 out of 103 so that's not to bad really. Flunch is number 27 so that is quite a big gap seeing as they are both new coasters.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Saw did quite well in my poll I think... It was in the middle somewhere anyway. I thought it was alright and it bobbed to the middle point above some real trash. I think it was the top of my Eurofighters.

marc

CF Legend
For me it was Saw at 70, Speed 73 and Rage 75.

I just dont like them so they were never going to be that high anyway.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Gazza said:
^Mick Doohans Motocoaster at Dreamworld got second last place (Behind Goudurix) when it was first polled in 2007.

Ouch!

Did it even get enough votes for serious inclusion?

(I keep trying to get Mitch to increase this number, the number of respondants increases each year. I think last year the minimum was 6, wheras it used to be 3. I'm pushing for 9 or 10, or roughly 2% of the total number of respondants.)