What's new

Fire at Liseberg's Oceana water park

This is what the Oceana site looks like at the moment. Not sure if demolition is still ongoing or if attempts are being made to restore what’s left.

1719750056060.jpeg
1719750088623.jpeg
1719750101093.jpeg

Source:

When we were there last week they were lifting debris from the top of the tower, so they're still in demolition/cleanup at the moment I think

Liseberg’s board of directors have approved to go ahead with reconstructing Oceana, with a new opening target of 2026.

This is good news - but not entirely surprising to me. The devastation and fatality are significant, but from a business perspective these sorts of investments are not made on 1-2 year plans, they're made on decade+ plans. A simple readjustment of the 'cost to build' figures will likely have shown that this is still a sensible business decision in the long term.

I saw lots of the same things happening during Covid. I'm not at liberty to go into the detail in public, but in short - a blip in the radar (like Covid, or this fire) doesn't tend to sink massive, multi-decade-based, investment plans.

Of course, overall it is good news this is being pushed on with, in my opinion. Fair respect and tribute due to the individual who lost their life, of course.

Liseberg’s CEO Andreas Anderson tells investors to expect cutbacks at the park following the fire and reduced summer attendance (currently 3% below last year’s figures). ”Large investments will have to wait”. Not yet known if staff will be let go, as union negotiations will need to be held.

(article in Swedish)

Liseberg’s CEO Andreas Anderson tells investors to expect cutbacks at the park following the fire and reduced summer attendance (currently 3% below last year’s figures). ”Large investments will have to wait”. Not yet known if staff will be let go, as union negotiations will need to be held.

(article in Swedish)
They're practically never open anyway... It's August and they're on weekends only already. I think they did all week opening for most, but not all of June, all of July, and half of August...

They used to be open all week in late April, my last visit was a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday in April... This year, they opened 4 days in April... Not 4 days a week, 4 days in total! 2 Saturdays and 2 Sundays!

We've not been able to make it over at all this year, despite wanting to, due to their opening dates being unsuitable for weekend workers.

This isn't the moan it may appear to be, I completely understand businesses need to arrange their opening times / days around demand and other factors (like the fire for one thing.) But I'm just thinking, with their reduced opening times, the fire and the accident at Grona Lund reducing public confidence in the industry, I'm surprised they're only 3% down.

(On a side note, this is why I defend AT off peak opening times, the alternative to opening 6 or 7 hours off peak, is not opening at all, and that would be catastrophic. I'd much rather AT be open 6 or 7 hours every day in April, May and September than only open at weekends. Those that don't want to travel for shorter hours can just visit on the weekend, which is all they'd have under the alternative option anyway.)

They're practically never open anyway... It's August and they're on weekends only already. I think they did all week opening for most, but not all of June, all of July, and half of August...

They used to be open all week in late April, my last visit was a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday in April... This year, they opened 4 days in April... Not 4 days a week, 4 days in total! 2 Saturdays and 2 Sundays!
They've never been open for more than two weekends in April. The climate in Gothenburg (where it's been freezing as late as Easter) plus the fact that most of their business comes from families and teens doesn't make it viable. The lone exception since 2018 has been in 2019 when Walpurgis Night and May 1st landed on Tuesday/Wednesday that year.

(closed due to Covid in 2020/2021)

And as someone who visited in the exception window in 2019, I see why they're not open more often. Despite beautiful weather, the place was a complete ghost town.

Them being open all week in June and closing at weekdays past the third week in August is for the same reason. The Swedish school year generally ends in early June and picks back up in mid-to-late August.

Last edited:
They've never been open for more than two weekends in April. The climate in Gothenburg plus the fact that most of their business comes from families doesn't make it viable. The lone exception since 2018 has been in 2019 when Valborg and May 1st landed on Tuesday/Wednesday that year.

Them being open all week in June and closing at weekdays past the third week in August is for the same reason. The Swedish school year generally ends in early June and picks back up in mid-to-late August.
I visited for half a week in April 2019, it was mid week. Although it may have been that final week, which shows as open on QT.com (not that I trust QT anyway, it’s often way off park apps when comparing in real time.)

Either way, it doesn’t change the fact that they’re simply not open for most of the year. We can’t be the only people that would visit more if it was open in the week. I don’t know about Sweden, but in the UK 9% of the population work in hospitality. Obviously weekends and summer are difficult times for leisure if you work in this industry, and I’m sure it’s not the only industry where that much is true.

How is it that some parks get slated for accommodating those that can’t visit at peak times, by opening shorter hours off peak, and others escape any criticism by simply not opening. Makes no sense to me at all.

I visited for half a week in April 2019, it was mid week. Although it may have been that final week, which shows as open on QT.com (not that I trust QT anyway, it’s often way off park apps when comparing in real time.)
If you need a source besides QT.com, this was their 2019 opening calendar:

And as I brought up, during those exception days the park was a complete ghost town. I can see how from their perspective it's not worth it if nobody even shows up.

How is it that some parks get slated for accommodating those that can’t visit at peak times, by opening shorter hours off peak, and others escape any criticism by simply not opening. Makes no sense to me at all.
I think one can commend Alton for being open while also criticizing them for closing at 4 P.M. — which, I don’t care how it’s sliced, it’s ludicrous for a park of that size. Especially when Thorpe and Chessington are willing to stay open for an hour longer.

Last edited:
If you need a source besides QT.com, this was their 2019 opening calendar:

And as I brought up, during those exception days the park was a complete ghost town. I can see how from their perspective it's not worth it if nobody even shows up.

I think one can commend Alton for being open while also criticizing them for closing at 4 P.M. — which, I don’t care how it’s sliced, it’s ludicrous for a park of that size. Especially when Thorpe and Chessington are willing to stay open for an hour longer.
So ludicrous that Towers open until 4pm on off peak days… When often times the park is a complete ghost town and their rides are walk on too. But fine for other parks to close completely at exactly the same time of year? No double standards at all then? 🙈😂

I don’t think you can commend them for being open and criticise for the short hours. The business choice they have is open, with reduced ops, or stay closed. We’re simply not going to get both, unless they see improved gates at those times of year. Expecting both is unrealistic.

But yes, you’re right, Liseberg was quiet on those days, especially towards the middle of the week after the straddlers from the (PBE?) thoosie event had cleared off. But it was no quieter than AT or Thorpe are during most of their off peak days.

The business choice they have is open, with reduced ops

Liseberg could very well do this but they don't. Weekdays out of season the park is a ghost town but they still always fully staff it and have everything open. It might make sense for them to look at opening the park more but have less staff, less trains and less outlets open on slow days.

Liseberg could very well do this but they don't. Weekdays out of season the park is a ghost town but they still always fully staff it and have everything open. It might make sense for them to look at opening the park more but have less staff, less trains and less outlets open on slow days.
Honestly, I think businesses, all of them, should do whatever they need to do to survive at the moment. I'm just on a one man mission to defend and educate as to why Alton Towers (and other parks) open for short hours, or have a limited offer, on some days.... I'm not doing very well, haha.

Anyway, Liseberg make a great comparison, as they highlight the alternative to this, in that they just don't open. So it's a good example of how other parks deal with low demand.

Truthfully I like some of the ways Liseberg deal with it. Opening much later and closing much later, for example, is an idea I'd love some UK parks to try on off peak days. Especially parks like Blackpool Pleasure Beach, Thorpe Park and Alton Towers, that rely more on local trade during their off peak days. It would be interesting if they opened and closed much later on some off peak days, to see if that lead to more after work / school visits.

I think it might do, given how many people I know will happily pop over to Towers or Thorpe in the afternoon, after work, during the Oktoberfest and Halloween events. There always seems to be an influx of local kids between 3pm and 4pm at BPB during the week too, and that's when they only get a couple of hours! Imagine Towers opens at 1pm, on some off peak days, like Liseberg, but then closes at 8pm. Would people be as mad?

Another thing that's always baffled me, and to keep it on topic, this is where Liseberg and other European parks really excel, is the peak opening times. 6pm on busy summer days, is just crazy!!! Yet nobody seems to be as annoyed at those times as they are the 4pm off peak times. I can clear the whole park by 2pm on off peak days, easily, with multiple rides on the things I like. On peak days there's no way I'm clearing the park by 6pm.

It's so bad in Summer I just don't visit Towers in July and August, at all, an 8 hour day to do 5 or 6 rides is not my idea of fun, not when I can do 15 - 20 easily in 6 hours at other times. Why are people not annoyed at that? They're mad at the wrong thing. These parks should be open until at least 8pm on peak days, if not later. And that's exactly what Liseberg and other European parks do.

Anyway, excuse my ranting, same to you @cookie. Like I said, one man mission, haha.