What's new

Marineland of Canada (may) be closing/sold

I wonder if the park will keep the marine animals. I wouldn't be surprised if this summer they only operate the rides and slowly get rid of all the animals and sell a portion of the park for other use like real estate development and keep the other portion of the park as an amusement park. They could fit in many more rides in the future. The park as it is is way too big. Niagara Falls is a huge tourist destination. So having a good amusement park with a good amount of rides just makes sense. As for the new owner we have yet to see who it is.

They’ve done this before in 2020, when they kept rides closed during the pandemic to take advantage of a local loophole. Zoos were allowed to operate but not parks.

If they could have rides open they would, especially with the kid’s area at the front of the park receiving 90% of their attendance. It can get deceptively crowded there, so might be an issue of them not having caught up on offseason maintenance in anticipation of a sale.

Curiously enough however Penguin Palace of all exhibits and their main restaurant will remain shut, which may suggest a huge operating budget cut this year.

Whoever bought it is staying under wraps for now. Execs from the local developers have all signed NDA’s on who the culprit is, which is suggesting that a regional player has come in as opposed to an international group. If someone was investing from abroad they’d be less tight lipped. It is NOT however Thundering Waters, a Chinese real estate with the nearby golf course who was the frontrunner last year and whom I did some consulting for.

I visited the park last May for the first time in more than a decade, having foreseen the shutdown this year. After years of waiting and for better or worse, something is finally about to give here… now what does the future hold?!?

Hard to tell what the future holds!? I guess it will become more an amusement park with some animals (land and aquarium) but no big shows.

Thoroughly doubt this is actually what happened but i think it would be very interesting to see what would happen to this park one of the big chains acquired it. United Parks, Parques Reunidos, ect.
If the park needs development, Parques Reunidos won't touch it. They buy parks that are "readily developed" in areas with little competition, then use their local dominant position as a reason not to invest a penny further. They wouldn't buy a park they'd have to invest in to make attractive.

I don't think the new buyer is a big chain operator.
I don't think it's a public company at the very least, otherwise, they would've had to announce the sale to shareholders, no? Or otherwise made some kind of announcement/left breadcrumbs for people to follow. That said, I think it only eliminates FUN/SF (as if it would've been them), and United Sea Parks World.

For what absolutely little it is worth, Marineland's wikipedia page lists "The King Waldorf Company" as the current owners of Marineland of Canada (2024-)
And no, Google doesn't not offer any information on this company whatsoever, so I'm sure it's legit :V

Nothing announced for next year so far so I would not expect anything major. I still wouldn't be surprised if the park shut down for good at the end of the season since no major park operator (SF, merlin etc...) seems interested. For Marineland to grow as an important park and be able to compete against CW, it has to invest a lot of money in new attractions and rides.

Nothing announced for next year so far so I would not expect anything major. I still wouldn't be surprised if the park shut down for good at the end of the season since no major park operator (SF, merlin etc...) seems interested. For Marineland to grow as an important park and be able to compete against CW, it has to invest a lot of money in new attractions and rides.
The park WAS purchased by someone; that much is known. They just haven't announced who yet. Is it a major operator, a minor operator, some other business throwing its hat into the ring? We don't know. That said, I doubt the buyer, whoever they are, bought the park just to "shut it down for good" any time soon. I believe they park has even said that they intend to evaluate possible new additions in the coming years.

The park WAS purchased by someone; that much is known. They just haven't announced who yet. Is it a major operator, a minor operator, some other business throwing its hat into the ring? We don't know. That said, I doubt the buyer, whoever they are, bought the park just to "shut it down for good" any time soon. I believe they park has even said that they intend to evaluate possible new additions in the coming years.
That we know but it seems very complicated to move the animals out of the park, which is apparently something that prevented some major operators from purchasing the park. I really want the park to grow but my hopes are not so high. I also know it is supposed to stay as a park but again with the land being so valuable you never know how companies, cities, etc make it work their way.

It seems a lot of people are complaning about the park experience this year with not much to see!! I think everyone aggees it is time for Marineland to get all the animals relocated and become an amusement park only. if not well that is the end of it.

An amusement park only would be a good thing for that place. People who vacation to Niagara Falls are not likely to drive the hour and a bit to Vaughan for Wonderland, cross the border to drive upwards of an hour to Darien Lake, and Martin's Fantasy Island isn't exactly a prime destination. Even if people do Niagara/Toronto, Vaughan is still quite a bit out of the way from the downtown area. I don't want to see it scrapped because I think the land and the area have very good potential. It doesn't necessarily need to become a massive thrill park, but throw in some more rides, even used ones, and I think it would do just fine. Guess only time will tell, but it's a huge plot of land and Canada doesn't have nearly enough amusement parks for the amount of space we have!

An amusement park only would be a good thing for that place. People who vacation to Niagara Falls are not likely to drive the hour and a bit to Vaughan for Wonderland, cross the border to drive upwards of an hour to Darien Lake, and Martin's Fantasy Island isn't exactly a prime destination. Even if people do Niagara/Toronto, Vaughan is still quite a bit out of the way from the downtown area. I don't want to see it scrapped because I think the land and the area have very good potential. It doesn't necessarily need to become a massive thrill park, but throw in some more rides, even used ones, and I think it would do just fine. Guess only time will tell, but it's a huge plot of land and Canada doesn't have nearly enough amusement parks for the amount of space we have!
I 100% agree!

That definitely makes sense. Also, considering the park’s history of abusing their animals, I think they should just get rid of them ASAP. Even if they start taking better care of them, that stigma will remain and it will hurt the park. Becoming an amusement park only would definitely help the park.

Was at Niagara Amusement Park today, had a nice chat with some heads there today. Word from Mainland is that ALL of their maintenance and ride operations staff have been let go. Not much of a surprise really but it is what it is.

Also a certain company you're all likely to recognize (and probably guess) was snooping around there a lot last year. NDA's are still tight on who actually bought the place, will be interesting to see if this plays out.