What's new

WTF Merlin?

Im adding onto "WTF" since I was told to delete photos of colossus being stopped on the lifthilll.. or else I would be kicked out of the park

^
That does seem strange. The only time I (personally) remember doing that was when the air ambulance landed on Towers Street. I didn't know why it was there either - in fact, I still don't really - but I didn't want loonies outside of the park (or the media) to start making **** up.

The Ghost Train currently opens at 12pm every day (because its using live actors?)

Both Saw and Inferno have since reopened with queues showing over an hour and the other coasters queue times haven't changed.

Aside from people having limited options the long queues could be from the oldest high school years starting to end already.

So while this can be explained and sadly isn't that unusual for Thorpe to have concurrent closures, you at least skipped a frustrating day.

I think it’s worth noting that school trip season has likely already started, as well. Having visited Thorpe during school trip season, this is a very busy time of year even during the middle of the week.

Wait, school isn’t out in Britain yet?
No. School here in Britain doesn't end until roughly 19th July (?).

I'm not certain on the exact date, as I left school 3 years ago, but it typically ends somewhere around the middle of July. Schools typically return in the first week of September (around the time when you Americans have Labour Day, I believe?).

As such, this time of year in British theme parks is teeming with end of year "reward trips" from various secondary schools around the country. Midweek days are carnage at this time of year, to the degree where I'd almost argue that weekends are more favourable.

No. School here in Britain doesn't end until roughly 19th July (?).

I'm not certain on the exact date, as I left school 3 years ago, but it typically ends somewhere around the middle of July. Schools typically return in the first week of September (around the time when you Americans have Labour Day, I believe?).

As such, this time of year in British theme parks is teeming with end of year "reward trips" from various secondary schools around the country. Midweek days are carnage at this time of year, to the degree where I'd almost argue that weekends are more favourable.
Oh wow. Where I live, I’m using to school ending in June and starting back up in August.

Despite being open until 11 P.M. for most of the summer, Gardaland is now closing the majority of its attractions at 8 P.M. at the latest outside of select dates. This includes even major rides like Oblivion: The Black Hole, Blue Tornado (both of which bafflingly closes at 6 on weekdays), and Shaman. Some attractions like Il Corsari also open later than the rest of the park at noon as opposed to 10 A.M.

In fact, according to the page, only the following will be operating after 8 P.M. even on weekends:
- Wolf Legend
- Most of Peppa Pig land for whatever reason
- TransGardaland Express
- Giostra Cavalli
- Fuga de Atlantide
- Mammut
- Cinema 4D Experience
- Jumanji The Labyrinth
- Jumanji The Adventure
- Raptor
- Space Vertigo

Why even bother staying open until 11 if only a quarter of your park is going to be operating during the last three hours of the day? I don’t understand Merlin sometimes.

Why even bother staying open until 11 if only a quarter of your park is going to be operating during the last three hours of the day? I don’t understand Merlin sometimes.
Well this is handy to know as I'm going during August and was looking forward to the 11pm closure. I mean, I'll guess I'll stay, but it is a bit of a sucker punch.

Oh, you mean that “heatwave” that’s really just a nice spring or fall day for people in the US?
It's funny, Brits aren't describing it as a heatwave. The media did, yeah, but I think there was a collective laugh amongst the wider public, because it was less "Oh no a heatwave" and more "Yay, we're actually getting some sun".

Also insert obligatory comment about how US heat and UK heat are very different, air con, buildings keep heat in in the UK, etc etc.

On Gardaland's open late, close rides early thing. I'm pretty sure it's only like that for another week as from the 30th of June the closing time of the rides will change.

"I wonder how he would feel if after he sprayed me I filled a cup with my breast milk and threw it in his face…"

"I was on that ride. I ended up catching him later on and made his face into hamburger.!"

Some cracking responses though, this moron needs a slap. I don't like violence but sometimes these idiots need to see consequences for their actions, and if it's a milk-soaked rider forcing that water-gun where only prostate examiners dare to delve, then so be it. That could end up in the mouths of lactose intolerant riders who aren't expecting it, and I imagine any vegan riders would be thoroughly unimpressed.