What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

ScottLann

Mega Poster
There's only one element that I hope it takes faster now and that's the outerbank-roll element.

As others have mentioned, it's only the first test run so of course it's going to be slow in certain areas, but that huge outerbank is the one moment I'm hoping we really get thrown out of our seats on 🙏

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Ran down to Thorpe in the rain on my lunch break and managed to catch the first train test! Absolutely buzzing, there was a great atmosphere in the park.

Delighted to confirm it looks anything but slow in person, apart from on the outwards banked turn into the inversion. That part looked like hangtime city. The lift hill was whisper quiet, in fact the whole ride made very little noise.

After seeing it plummet down that first drop I'm even more excited for the Live now!

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 15.19.29.png

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 15.20.19.png

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 15.18.24.png

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Ran down to Thorpe in the rain on my lunch break and managed to catch the first train test! Absolutely buzzing, there was a great atmosphere in the park.

Delighted to confirm it looks anything but slow in person, apart from on the outwards banked turn into the inversion. That part looked like hangtime city. The lift hill was whisper quiet, in fact the whole ride made very little noise.

After seeing it plummet down that first drop I'm even more excited for the Live now!

View attachment 30800

View attachment 30801

View attachment 30799
I've seen videos other than Shawns now... It was definitely Colossus I could hear in Shawn's live stream, @Berksfan was right. Hyperia sounds silky smooth.

Shame about the outer bank (for those who prefer ejector to hang time of course, which obviously isn't everybody) I was kind of hoping that would be a good moment of weird airtime. :/

Did the dive loop not look slow too? Looks like it's absolutely crawling through that element in all of the videos. Although to be fair, hang time here would be nice.

spicy

Giga Poster
I've seen videos other than Shawns now... It was definitely Colossus I could hear in Shawn's live stream, @Berksfan was right. Hyperia sounds silky smooth.

Shame about the outer bank (for those who prefer ejector to hang time of course, which obviously isn't everybody) I was kind of hoping that would be a good moment of weird airtime. :/

Remember though there is already quite a large magnetic trim installed on the drop before you go into the outer bank.

4f6c74cb41c6e388975de8c81a9dba79.jpg

Assuming that trim hasn’t been removed it will have hit that plus the slow lift hill, the new trains its first run etc.

So all hope isn’t lost yet at that outer bank being a good moment of airtime and it being taken at a good speed.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team

Did the dive loop not look slow too? Looks like it's absolutely crawling through that element in all of the videos. Although to be fair, hang time here would be nice.

I think the best moment of airtime could be dropping out of the top of the Immelmann, the train has a lot of speed there and the drop out is steep. The dive loop stall looked a bit slow too, but I would expect that of a stall!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Can I just remind everyone that is commenting on certain elements being taken at certain speeds.. chill out my dudes. You’ve seen one test run. Maybe hold off until it’s regularly testing to judge an elements speed.
You've been here 19 years, you should know better than that... ;)🤣

But seriously, you're obviously right, all trims need to be calibrated for starters...

Edited to add: I guess another thing we have to remember, especially those of us watching on video only, is just how big these elements are. It's easy to automatically think of them as the same size as other coasters when watching on video. The dive loop for example could subconsciously be compared to many others, but is probably twice the size, so even at good speed will take much longer to traverse. (This is probably more of a reminder to myself, thinking out loud kind of thing.)

Last edited:

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
already quite a large magnetic trim installed on the drop before you go into the outer bank
No there isn't, the picture you posted is just the mounts. There's no trim fin installed on that. Especially with it being the first, slowest-possible test, why would they slow it down and really risk a valleying situation? If that were installed, it genuinely may not have made it through the outward bank roll.

Matt N

CF Legend
As @MLDesigns said, there are no trims actually installed in those brackets before the outer bank. These will only be installed if the ride overspeeds during testing, so the brackets are mainly there as a precaution in case trims are needed.

spicy

Giga Poster
No there isn't, the picture you posted is just the mounts. There's no trim fin installed on that. Especially with it being the first, slowest-possible test, why would they slow it down and really risk a valleying situation? If that were installed, it genuinely may not have made it through the outward bank roll.

Oh really, fair enough. I thought the dark line above the mounts in the image was the trim fin.

It was just genuinely slow in the outerbank then 😂