What's new

Dollywood announce Lightning Rod's launch to be replaced with chain lift

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Just out of interest, does anyone know what the top speed of the launch was before and after it was "neutered"?
To my knowledge, the launch speed has always been 45mph, even after the modification ("neutering") in mid-2017. I believe the change they made was so that the launch lets off slightly sooner, so it crests the top of the lift at the current, slower target speed (very likely the 13mph referenced).

I did see someone claim that it was reduced to 41mph in that 2017 modification, but no way to verify that.

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
I got extremely lucky during my two day visit in April 2018 and got 4 rides on LRod. That launch was a ton of fun but if it will be open on a regular basis then I'm all for this change. I was so stressed before my visit about the coaster being down for my visit and while it was closed most of the first day (opened about 2 hours before closing if I remember correctly) it was open just about all day my second day.

Matt N

CF Legend
Interesting news; hopefully it improves Lightning Rod’s reliability!

I could have missed something earlier in the thread, but do we reckon 13mph is any slower than the ride goes over the top now?

I seem to remember the launch speed being quoted as somewhere around 45mph when the ride was being built, but I’m not sure that it necessarily goes over the top of the hill that quickly. Not to mention that they allegedly “trimmed” the launch or did something or other with it…

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Not really related but thought I'd bring this up...

Gerstlauer has been making shipments to Dollywood lately, base frame and axle beam are very specific terms. So either they're working on Lightning Rod somehow and subverting expectations, or Dollywood might have a little extra something up their sleeves for 2024;
Screen Shot 2023-10-18 at 12.27.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-10-18 at 12.27.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-10-18 at 12.27.53 PM.png
Source

Thought it's also worth a mention that the Dolly Parton Experience will open in 2024 and take over the Chasing Rainbows Museum. A refresh of the Adventures in Imagination plaza is also currently underway.
e759d4fd-91be-412b-b14a-8b5565fe3158-large16x9_dollypartonexperiencecourtesyDollywood.PNG
IMG_6239.jpg
(Second pic is from a friend)

Last edited:

davidm

Strata Poster
So its October 30th now.

--

I had a coffee yesterday out of my 2016 Lightning Rod souvenir mug...

2016;
30547015582_47a4a87229.jpg

It felt like my mug's current condition was a metaphor for the ride....

Now;
53294080492_33b0919fbd_z.jpg

;)

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Not that we were expecting anything different, but still a little sad to see;

Edit; That was a video of it testing, since taken down at the employee’s request. Lift hill is… running at lift hill speeds.

Last edited:
Surely they could have just replaced the old launch with a more reliable launch system? I heard somewhere that the issue was the wooden structure and track of the launch moved more than a steel equivalent would have (I can't remember where I heard that from and don't know how true it is, someone please correct me if I'm wrong). If that was the case, why not reconfigure the launched lifthill with a new steel structure, steel track, and a set of new more reliable LSMs? LSM technology has probably come on a bit since 2016.

Dan Nguyen

Mega Poster
Surely they could have just replaced the old launch with a more reliable launch system? I heard somewhere that the issue was the wooden structure and track of the launch moved more than a steel equivalent would have (I can't remember where I heard that from and don't know how true it is, someone please correct me if I'm wrong). If that was the case, why not reconfigure the launched lifthill with a new steel structure, steel track, and a set of new more reliable LSMs? LSM technology has probably come on a bit since 2016.

The entire lift structure would have to be completely rebuilt from the ground up, which would be far more time consuming and far less cost effective than just replacing the launch with a lift.

They've already pretty much redone the launch already and that didn't work out for them.