What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I didn’t say it’s because they wouldn’t know how it would ride though. I said:

“It seems like good design to me that they would build in a safety feature that can be used to slow the train down, if for some reason it ends up travelling through this element faster than expected” - i was implying it has a speed it’s designed for, but in certain real world conditions, like in certain weathers/temperatures etc this optimum speed could be slightly overshot, hence the trim.

Anyway, in regards to the name, I’m kind of here for Monks roll too. 😅
The first two sentences (the ones you’ve missed off your quote) are what suggested that…

Ultimately, to design a coaster with an element, that you’re unsure will be safe, would be very bad design… That was clearly my point, in my original response to you. 👍

ScottLann

Mega Poster
And another element is topped off!

I can't wait to see the lift hill go up soon 🙏

spicy

Giga Poster
Looks great!

Really don't envy the guys in the cherry picker having to lean over and connect the track pieces. Must be pretty cold up there today!

Have coasters always been assembled like this with the cherry picker method? I can't recall. A quick google and the tallest cherry picker is 187ft so I guess they will be scaling up the track for the highest points.

Still could be worst, could be in Saudi scaling 650ft..

CaliAngel

Roller Poster
Have coasters always been assembled like this with the cherry picker method? I can't recall. A quick google and the tallest cherry picker is 187ft so I guess they will be scaling up the track for the highest points.

Really depends on the situation and the surrounding area.

For the most part in high elevation situations, they get guys in one of those crane cages and pull them up to where the installation will be. They'll get out and harness to the track that is already installed, while waiting for the track pieces to get lifted into place. In situations like this where the track is not absurdly tall, it's probably more practical for them to just get up in the cherry picker.

JoshC.

Strata Poster

The park currently have a telescopic boom lift on site capable of hitting working heights of 192ft:

Not quite sure what they'll do for the top of the lift, but they'll be able to do most things with that I imagine.

Matt N

CF Legend
The thing I'm surprised by is how much of a straight drop you actually get coming out of it. For some reason, I pictured it being an upscaled version of the Immelmann on Icon, but it almost looks to start like an Immelmann and end more like a straight airtime hill. Somewhat akin to the twist and dive on Hyperion, but in reverse.

I reckon we could get a phenomenal moment of sustained airtime exiting that element!

Last edited:

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Yeah but is it really an inversion?
Quick someone get the chart
Furie's chart is wrong in my personal opion sorry to be that guy. I agree with rcdb's classification of if it's beyond 135° (closer to fully inverted than vertical) then it can be considered an inversion. I think this is generally more excepted nowadays to be honest. I'd be happy for him to maybe update his chart?

But for the record I don't think it's an inversion.

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
If this is an inversion, then I’d argue that the twist and dive on Hyperion is an inversion, and I’m not sure RCDB necessarily says it is. And I’d also argue the inverse; if RCDB lists Hyperion’s twist and dive as an inversion, then I’d say that Hyperia’s Immelmann is an inversion.

With that said, RCDB also says that Icon’s Immelmann isn’t an inversion, and I’d argue that that one looks more “inversion-y” than Hyperia’s, so I’d possibly err towards “no”… but I’m undecided overall.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
If this is an inversion, then I’d argue that the twist and dive on Hyperion is an inversion, and I’m not sure RCDB necessarily says it is. And I’d also argue the inverse; if RCDB lists Hyperion’s twist and dive as an inversion, then I’d say that Hyperia’s Immelmann is an inversion.

With that said, RCDB also says that Icon’s Immelmann isn’t an inversion, and I’d argue that that one looks more “inversion-y” than Hyperia’s, so I’d possibly err towards “no”… but I’m undecided overall.
RCDB says Hyperion has 1 inversion.... So I guess they do count it...

Also, Hyperion's inversion 100% feels like an inversion... Isn't that what's important here? I would also argue Icon's element feels like an inversion. Despite a nice email conversation with somebody from RCDB on why they chose not to list it as an inversion, I've always considered it as one myself, because it feels like one.

Only thing about classifying it in that way is that I can't answer the question on Hyperia until I've ridden it.