What's new

Flamingo Land | Sik | Intamin 10 Inversion Coaster | 2022

Isn't this the point though that they are aiming for that market? I'm not a fan of the brand (the clothes certainly aren't aimed at me) but the people who it is aimed at are clearly the sort of customer they're going for.

It does mean I'll have to be pretty savvy with when I visit though as they aren't necessarily the sort of people I enjoy spending time with!

Ethan

Strata Poster
Isn't this the point though that they are aiming for that market? I'm not a fan of the brand (the clothes certainly aren't aimed at me) but the people who it is aimed at are clearly the sort of customer they're going for.
I think we all know who it's aimed for ;)

7_Lads-Meme.jpg

Gazza

Giga Poster
What adult unironically buys something from a brand named SikSilk though?

It sounds like a 14 year old came up with it.

Will

Strata Poster
This is the egotist in me, but I sometimes wonder if theme parks like to see just how far they can push us ;)

Sponsorship or otherwise, I don't think even Thorpe would stoop quite this low!!

JMW

Roller Poster
Sik will open on July 2nd according to Ride Rater.

Flamingo Land’s new 10-inversion rollercoaster Sik is set to open to the public on 2 July.

Delayed by two years due to the COVID-19 pandemic and other construction issues, the Intamin-manufactured ride’s name was also confirmed this week.

Based on a partnership with North Yorkshire fashion brand SikSilk, Flamingo Land owner Gordon Gibb said that he was proud of the new ride.

“We are all very proud of our achievement in delivering this world-class rollercoaster as our new star attraction at Flamingo Land,” he told the Scarborough News.

Gibb also confirmed the ride’s opening date as being the first Saturday in July.

SikSilk link​

The ride’s name, Sik, has attracted considerable controversy, after being widely referred to as ‘Inversion’ since the planning stage.

Gibb said that the name represented “two fantastic local brands being joined together”, with the SikSilk brand expected to be represented in a new shop next to the ride.

The ride is being described as being “part of an £18 million project”.

Sik is an updated version of the Multi Inversion Coaster model from Intamin, and is effectively a modernised version of the Colossus ride at Thorpe Park.

The main differences are updated trains with lap-bar-style restraints and a steeper swooping first drop.

The rollercoaster has been testing since last week, with footage emerging on social media that appeared to show water-filled test dummies falling from the train.
Edit: It turns out the opening date and more was outlined in this Scarborough News article.

The article discusses the ride’s ‘special effects throughout’ and how the ‘station area will be an amazing night club with an exclusive SikSilk boutique, combining both street fashion and on-trend music.’ The attraction is also said to be ‘carbon net neutral’.

Certainly an interesting read, here’s the full article.
Flamingo Land has revealed that the latest resort attraction is in collaboration with Scarborough-based fashion brand SikSilk. The new ride, named "Sik", is an adrenaline-fuelled, white-knuckle roller coaster with a world record-equalling 10 inversions. Gordon Gibb, Flamingo Land's Chief Executive, said: "We are all very proud of our achievement in delivering this world-class roller coaster as our new star attraction at Flamingo Land."

The new ride features a huge 25-metre loop. New test footage has been released of the roller coaster, giving thrill-seekers a taste of the the loops, dips and turns that await them once the ride opens.

Sik reaches top speeds of 55mph and propels riders along an 875-metre track and 25-metre loop during a 48-second ride experience. It is set to open on July 2. The ride also feature special effects throughout, including a waterfall, water cannons and fog effects create by liquid ice.

Riders are required to be 1.4-metres or 4ft 6" tall to ride the new Sik roller coaster.
The new ride includes a nauseating 10 inversions. The roller coaster is part of an £18m project that also features a station area compared to an "amazing night club" with an exclusive SikSilk boutique, combining both street fashion and on-trend music.

Flamingo Land, which is based near Malton, will be having a "Sik" party to celebrate the opening with owners promising "top acts and DJs" to be confirmed for a music festival at the attraction's Riverside 1 venue.

Mr Gibb continued: "I am delighted to announce the name for Flamingo Land's amazing new roller coaster, Sik. We are also delighted to be collaborating with SikSilk on this project. This represents two fantastic local brands being joined together."

Sik will be carbon net neutral with solar panels used to help power the ride and water source heat pumps in a newly created lake, Mr Gibb said.

Thrill seekers will be propelled at speeds up to 55mph. The owners of Flamingo Land and SikSilk "have been friends for years" and wanted to join the two successful ventures to tell their stories in an exciting project.

SikSilk is the success of friends Baz Gill, David Thompson and Sam Kay, who met at Graham School and founded the company from the bedroom of a Scarborough council estate – they have since enjoyed rapid growth into a global fashion brand since their launch in 2012.

‘World record-equalling 10 inversions’ 🧐

Last edited: