What's new

Energylandia | Choco Chip Creek | Vekoma Minetrain | 2024

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry to go off on a slight tangent here, but with regard to Energylandia supposedly being Zadra, Hyperion & the 2 big Vekomas and then “a load of rubbish”; couldn’t you say that about most parks if you thought hard enough?

I’ve heard similar criticism levelled at all kinds of places (Europa Park being one, as well as Canada’s Wonderland), and it never seems to affect the rating of those parks like it does Energylandia. Is there some other factor affecting people’s perceptions of Energylandia in this regard?

God have mercy

Roller Poster
Sorry to go off on a slight tangent here, but with regard to Energylandia supposedly being Zadra, Hyperion & the 2 big Vekomas and then “a load of rubbish”; couldn’t you say that about most parks if you thought hard enough?

I’ve heard similar criticism levelled at all kinds of places (Europa Park being one, as well as Canada’s Wonderland), and it never seems to affect the rating of those parks like it does Energylandia. Is there some other factor affecting people’s perceptions of Energylandia in this regard?
I think people moan/take the piss because Energylandia just install a off the shelf Vekoma junior coaster just for the sake of it. Obviously to boost there coaster count.

oolaf19988

Roller Poster
For me, looking only at the line-up of coasters, energylandia is already the best park in Europe, but I also understand those who still have doubts, it's not very much ahead of portaventura. Maybe I'm not objective because it's my homepark, but one thing can be objectively said, in a few years no one will have any doubts, just saying that we are coming to the 10 years from the opening, I can't wait to see what new they will add to celebrate the anniversary.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

It was a bare field with tacky plastic theming and rollercoasters all over the place as recently as 4 years ago. Sure there were trees and shrubs 'planted' but they were not mature and barely noticeable. It really wasn't great at all. They're struggling to shake that reputation.

But they've come a long way since then, they're learning to add theming most UK parks would be jealous of, and the landscaping is starting to mature in some areas. They have a long long way to go to be anywhere close to Europa or most other good parks, a very long way. And they'll never be Phantasialand. But it's definitely an enjoyable environment now.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
I think people moan/take the piss because Energylandia just install a off the shelf Vekoma junior coaster just for the sake of it. Obviously to boost there coaster count.
Yes. Given it adds nothing of value with such rides already being in the line up - they aren't as mentioned by Trax nicely presented like Baa Express in EP or so. There's a big quality gap. Instead of another random Jr Coaster in Sweet Valley why couldn't that money have been spent making the Mine Train into a more well rounded quality attraction. Rather than the great coaster layout on a flat grass with a few clumps of rock. They have clearly the money to do better theming and make something on par with other parks' mine trains. The missed potential in favour of rapid expansion for the sake of boosting the coaster count for the world record is kinda annoying.

God have mercy

Roller Poster
Yes. Given it adds nothing of value with such rides already being in the line up - they aren't as mentioned by Trax nicely presented like Baa Express in EP or so. There's a big quality gap. Instead of another random Jr Coaster in Sweet Valley why couldn't that money have been spent making the Mine Train into a more well rounded quality attraction. Rather than the great coaster layout on a flat grass with a few clumps of rock. They have clearly the money to do better theming and make something on par with other parks' mine trains. The missed potential in favour of rapid expansion for the sake of boosting the coaster count for the world record is kinda annoying.
Itll be the only mine train I know in existence with next to no theming. When I expect minetrains I think of theming. Tunnels and bridges. The junior coaster was probably included in a package deal.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
They seem to have got themselves into the mindset of, 'we'll theme the area around it nicely, and give it a half decent station, but nobody cares whilst on the ride.'

That worked well for them with Hyperion and Zadra. We thought Abyssus would mark the end of that era and the beginning of an era where they actually themed the rides aswell. But sadly it didn't, opening it with the pools, that couldn't be easily seen from Aqualantis, empty shows us how little regard they have for 'on ride' theming.

I hope they see sense soon, for the sake of those who care about that kind of thing, and would like EL to be the park it's capable of being.

Itll be the only mine train I know in existence with next to no theming. When I expect minetrains I think of theming. Tunnels and bridges. The junior coaster was probably included in a package deal.

Rhombus's Rocket has no theming, but even that works better than this will, as it runs over the midway and interacts with the log flume, Millennium Coaster, and a couple of flats.

The Mine Train at Ocean Park has absolutely no theming, less than this I'd say from videos... But again, it works because it's in a beautiful location, has 'that' view, and part of it's structure is almost a sculpture in it's own right.

There are more. But seriously EL, you built a volcano just as an entrance for Dragon, how hard would a small mountain and some rockwork be?

That being said, whilst I am not holding out much hope, it isn't finished, and the park map does show more rockwork and a water feature of some sort under the mine train... It even shows the layout passing through theming / rockwork! We can hope and prey at least.

Sandman

Giga Poster

Just expanding on this point, it sort of feels like Energylandia have lucked out when it comes to their 'great' rides. A bit like a stopped clock being right twice a day, Energylandia have churned out so many rides that they are naturally bound to get a couple of excellent rides at some point. They get my credit for actually investing in a great big RMC and Intamin, but I'm not sure if that proves they really have a great strategy for the park.

To us enthusiasts, throwing money at the park to build new creds, non-stop, in conveyor belt fashion sounds good. Good for the cred count and bulking numbers. But, forgive me for saying, it seems very methodical and sterile. Where Energylandia just throw up many (debatably) average rides like a teenager in RCT sandbox mode, the most successful European parks have realised over time that there is so much more consideration needed, so much more to be invested in other than off the shelf rides. It's a bit of a lazy autopilot mode going on over at EL.

Fortunately, they are still fresh faced in the industry and it is looking like they've started branching out their focus to the overall park experience. I think that is the most important thing for them now, and I think reducing the number of 'for the sake of it' coasters in favour of more investment in the above will really push them forward more than seventeen new Vekomas will.

God have mercy

Roller Poster
Speaking of Vekomas any idea on this tilt coaster? Is it going to be in a new location or at an existing area of the park? Speaking of Vekomas whilst EL have a very healthy relationship with them in the near future probably in 3 years time knowing these I would like see something like that Gaurdians of the Galaxy at EPCOT. A proper unique indoor family coaster with theming and screens.

pawel98123

Mega Poster
Speaking of Vekomas any idea on this tilt coaster? Is it going to be in a new location or at an existing area of the park? Speaking of Vekomas whilst EL have a very healthy relationship with them in the near future probably in 3 years time knowing these I would like see something like that Gaurdians of the Galaxy at EPCOT. A proper unique indoor family coaster with theming and screens.
A 100% it will be the new area, same as dragon zone, Aqualantis and Sweet Valley, it may be behind Dragon Zone.

God have mercy

Roller Poster
A 100% it will be the new area, same as dragon zone, Aqualantis and Sweet Valley, it may be behind Dragon Zone.
Jesus Christ! How big do they want make this park? It's already a trek from the main entrance upto Zadra. I'm intrigued how big this Tilt Coaster is going to be. I assume it's going be at least 130ft and 60mph. I do wish EL foccussed on sorting the state of the bottom end of the park after they've finished this and the tilt coaster. I'd be happy if they didn't install another major for another 4 years as long as they make what's existing better. And get rid of that awful spinning mouse.

pawel98123

Mega Poster
Jesus Christ! How big do they want make this park? It's already a trek from the main entrance upto Zadra. I'm intrigued how big this Tilt Coaster is going to be. I assume it's going be at least 130ft and 60mph. I do wish EL foccussed on sorting the state of the bottom end of the park after they've finished this and the tilt coaster. I'd be happy if they didn't install another major for another 4 years as long as they make what's existing better. And get rid of that awful spinning mouse.

I think there's a lot of informations in a different threat, but they have a lot of land to fill, more than 200h, If we want to believe the tenders, the tilt will not be lower than 45 meters and its speed should not be lower than 85 km / h.

Spinning mouse (Viking) has long been up for sale, unfortunately no one is interested 😐

Christian

Hyper Poster
I've got no problem at all with Energylandia being considered one of the best parks in Europe - you're probably right overall, and definitely right from a hardware perspective - but personally I'd rather have another trip to Europa, or a tour round Phantasialand, Efteling, Walibi, etc. They're better overall park experiences, for me.

I agree. I have long list of parks I prefer to visit over Energylandia. Especially Phantasialand, Liseberg, Kolmården and Europa to name a few in Europe. Not because their coasters are better than EL but because the overall experience is much better. These are serious parks with seriously good service and incredible vacation potential. When I go to PHL I get a full experience. Great room at one of the hotels, great food and a stunning park. Same with the others. Unless you want to stay in a camping or a motel EL almost forces you to drive to Krakow or Katowice. Thereby limiting freedom. As a non polish speaker it's impossible for me to communicate with anyone at EL (except for a girl selling drinks by Formula), the theming is certainly weird, flat rides and dark rides are awful, pretty weird park layout, etc. EL has many flaws, more than most parks, but I believe they one day will improve. If they build a hotel, give their staff English lessons and redo most of the old park with new flat and dark rides then the difference will be night and day.

I don't think parks can be ranked on best or worst. For me it's down to overall experience. Included in the experience are also factors which the park cant control such as company and the weather. If the weather is dreadful I will probably dislike the park more. Parks can be ranked in standard factors such as theming, service, cleanliness and ride hardware. But none of these ultimately mean a park is better than any other. I love Bakken for example, it's hardly amongst the top on any quantifiable factor but it is still one of my favourite parks in the world and I have had better experiences there than at SFMM for example. Will I now say Bakken is a better park than SFMM? No, but I have happened to have better days there.

In terms such as coaster hardware, EL is truly impressive and that is all I say.

Trax

Hyper Poster
He said that Energylandia's theming is amazing (I don't think so)
Well, would be a bad marketing if he'd went for "yeah, our theming is decent in places, and pretty bad in others". Compared to many parks, the theming EL put in within the last 3 or 4 years is pretty good, but if you compare them to Europa-Park, Phantasialand or Disney, their theming looks quite crappy.

At least they are trying.