What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
I'm convinced that nobody knows how this is going to ride. Almost all of the elements on this coaster are of a scale, size, and has twists none of us have ever done before. I'd much rather have a layout that ends quickly than something that minces about with no speed left.

With this coaster, on the brake run you'll be sat in disbelief on what just happened because, while it does end rather quickly, what the layout does contain is a relentless onslaught of chaos. And you'll be straight back into the queue to do it again. And again. And again.

It'll be extremely rerideable, and honestly there isn't really anything I would change about the layout - I think it looks fantastic as is.

Doublethink

Roller Poster
I'm convinced that nobody knows how this is going to ride. Almost all of the elements on this coaster are of a scale, size, and has twists none of us have ever done before. I'd much rather have a layout that ends quickly than something that minces about with no speed left.

With this coaster, on the brake run you'll be sat in disbelief on what just happened because, while it does end rather quickly, what the layout does contain is a relentless onslaught of chaos. And you'll be straight back into the queue to do it again. And again. And again.

It'll be extremely rerideable, and honestly there isn't really anything I would change about the layout - I think it looks fantastic as is.
Hit the nail on the head. This will be much more intense and large scale than anything the majority of UK GP and even UK based enthusiasts have ridden so they wouldn't want to make this too long- a lot of complaints I have read about Untamed (my personal no.1) is that though it's a great coaster the forces and airtime are too sustained and uncomfortable for some.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
I can understand why some people are disappointed it isn't a typical out-and-back airtime machine, but if you think about it, as an enthusiast why would you want it to be? We all know there are already great examples of those rides within easy reach, so while the UK public might be missing out on that experience, we've already had it and if this was that type of ride and it ended up being worse than Shambhala or Hyperion, we'd be hugely disappointed.

Instead it looks like we're getting something that is probably a bit short but has an absolutely bonkers layout unlike anything else in the world right now, and that's got to be exciting hasn't it?

I will admit I too was surprised by the layout and a little disappointed it wasn't something that spanned more of the park with a load of airtime hills, but the more I think about it, the more I think this is the kind of ride that enthusiasts in other countries would be envious of and will therefore attract international attention. Whether it's Mack, Intamin, S&S or even Vekoma, none of those manufacturers really build bad rides anymore do they, so it's surely going to be something pretty fab :)

Swat

Mega Poster
As it’s a consolation at the moment, we could see this layout change considerably. This could be a snapshot highlighting the larger elements to give people an idea of the impact visually from the area.

Off that fan made POV, it is absolutely motoring into the brakes, its a lot of long big drawn out inversions and will no doubt be a good ride. Hopefully we will see an iteration once the final plans are submitted early next year.

Luca B

Mega Poster
i think the trouble with the layout is that it is one huge inversion after another huge element… the sense of speed is going to be killed by inverting too much and takes the whole point away from what a hyper is. If they had a couple low to the ground filler elements in between, it would be so much better.
Pretty much every hyper has massive elements in the first half. Just look at any B&M hyper or even Hyperion.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Looks fab, but it's exactly as I feared. Short and gimmicky, claiming the UK Tallest and (possibly) Tallest inversion.

That being said, the public will lap it up though so this will be a great investment for Thorpe.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Pretty much every hyper has massive elements in the first half. Just look at any B&M hyper or even Hyperion.
Not quite what I meant.
My point is that It's all "fantastic elements" after another. All of these fantastic elements as most of them invert will take the sense of height away. There is no place where you can breathe and take things in, it's just hit, hit, hit. Even RMC's have moments of breath, whether it's a helix or an actual airtime. This coaster has nothing like that, which is why as excited as I am about the project, and let me tell you, I'm really excited, I'm just not seeing this as a world-class coaster. As wild as the elements are, it's a bit bland.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Sorry to go over old ground, but I thought we established ages ago that a traditional out and back hyper was not likely to be possible!!!

The only way it has been mocked up / demonstrated has been to either build over monks walk, or build in the lake... We do not know if Thorpe are permitted to do either of these things... Without doing one of these things, there simply isn't the space or length for a full out and back layout...

So I thought we'd already settled on the fact that, if it was going to be a hyper, it would have to be more condense and twisty??? Thorpe have delivered plans for exactly that! And suddenly everybody is surprised 🤷‍♂️

Personally I'm over the moon... I always suspected that this was the only 'realistically achievable' way to deliver a hyper at Thorpe, given their space constraints, and lots of you had almost convinced me it was going to be a B&M Hyper, so I was a bit nervous to see how a twisty B&M would perform... Now that we're almost certain it isn't a B&M, I know for sure just how well a Mack, or Intamin for that matter, will pull off these tighter elements...

Having said that.... That brake run is a little long Mack... Sure you can't squeeze a bunny hop or 2 in? We don't mind slamming into a short brake run like Hyperion.... honest... Pretty please... :)

toofpikk

Mega Poster
Is no one else getting S&S vibes from this? Galeforce?
Or Gerstlauer? Karnan?

Especially looking at the support structure.

Sure Mack is definitely the obvious candidate of manufacturer considering the noise samples, and the supports are the kind of clunky mess seen on that recent top hat Mack over in Asia, but I still wouldn't be surprised if it's not Mack as a manufacturer.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Having said that.... That brake run is a little long Mack... Sure you can't squeeze a bunny hop or 2 in? We don't mind slamming into a short brake run like Hyperion.... honest... Pretty please... :)

The brake run means 2 things.

1) Expected train stacking. (Maybe 3 trains? who knows)
2) That brake run is fricking long because the train hasn't burnt off enough steam with its height and really short layout. I can imagine that train hurtling in. Almost Stealth braking.

catsounds

Mega Poster
Or Gerstlauer? Karnan?

Sure Mack is definitely the obvious candidate of manufacturer considering the noise samples, and the supports are the kind of clunky mess seen on that recent top hat Mack over in Asia, but I still wouldn't be surprised if it's not Mack as a manufacturer.
it instantly gave me Steel Curtain vibes but now looking at the supports on that I'm not so sure

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
The brake run means 2 things.

1) Expected train stacking. (Maybe 3 trains? who knows)
2) That brake run is fricking long because the train hasn't burnt off enough steam with its height and really short layout. I can imagine that train hurtling in. Almost Stealth braking.
I don't find Stealth's brake run to hit nearly as hard as Hyperion's, Zadra's or even Untamed's for that matter...

No matter where on the train I sit on Zadra, I try and get on an even numbered row... Just so I can brace against the row in front after that final inversion 🤣🤣🤣

Or Gerstlauer? Karnan?

Yes, I said that yesterday when news was coming through, and again today when I first glanced the images... But then I inspected the track and supports in the images more closely, and compared them to the likes of RTH and other Macks, and they are a perfect match...

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
^ Could well be right!

Here's hoping for the long-awaited washing machine element. *fingers crossed* lol

Yes, I said that yesterday when news was coming through, and again today when I first glanced the images... But then I inspected the track and supports in the images more closely, and compared them to the likes of RTH and other Macks, and they are a perfect match...

I'm hoping for 3 trains. A lot of new coasters without MCBR's seem to be getting 3 trains. Hopefully this is the same.

Nemesis Fox

Roller Poster
I mean I’ve looked at the plans and I mean as with everyone else they seem to be growing on me. However if merlin could add a MCBR just before it’s planned to slam into the brakes and have a small second half low to the ground with s-bends overbanks and ejector even if it just circled the lake once would massively improve the coaster for me.

Reactions: JMW

Tom P

Roller Poster
^ Could well be right!

Here's hoping for the long-awaited washing machine element. *fingers crossed* lol

I'm hoping for 3 trains. A lot of new coasters without MCBR's seem to be getting 3 trains. Hopefully this is the same.
Not sure if third train is needed or even possible - the coaster might be so short that they'd hit minimum possible dispatch times even with two train ops. If anything, the short ride time actually makes two train ops more efficient.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
It's interesting how many UK enthusiasts seem to hold Merlin parks to such an impossible standard. It's like no matter what Merlin do, some enthusiasts will never be happy. Yet we don't hold this standard to other parks.

For example, if Paultons were getting a launched B+M family wing coaster, the decision would be praised as The Best Thing Ever For The Best Family Park Ever!

If Phantasialand, Efteling, Plopsa, Europa, Djurs, Hansa announced this new hyper coaster...would it be met with such criticism? If Drayton Manor announced this coaster, would the reaction be different?

I agree with all of the top part of your post and do firmly believe that positivity is key but not so much with the bottom part quoted.

The reason Merlin are held to such a high standard is because they should be, their visitor numbers, their budgets, their portfolio of parks, their key position at the top of the market and their investment into new resort parks is unparalleled really.

People have every right to hold them to high standards because they should, on paper, be one of the companies setting the highest standards.

Parallels drawn to other parks and if they were building this are trivial. Regardless of who builds it it’s still gonna be the shortest hyper coaster with only a handful of elements. Putting this at Clarence Pier doesn’t change the fact they are shelling out millions on a ride that could be significantly better than what it is. The layout isn’t awe inspiring, it doesn’t really utilise the area particularly well and it looks stupidly short.

Merlin should be held to the same standard as other market leaders, including but not limited to ; Disney, Universal, Cedar Fair, Six Flags, Herschend. I firmly believe all of the above, and the parks you listed, would see the shortcomings of this layout and would quite simply use the cash in a better way and go for a better layout. We can’t compare the listed parks as their additions over the years have been pretty solid.

In my opinion it’s pretty clear that Merlin have gone to Mack, and other companies, and asked them to break the UK height record with a traditional lift, cram in the tallest inversion, and do it for as cheap as possible. I don’t blame them but it’s just tiring. A Mack hyper at 236ft tall shouldn’t be this short or have so few elements to it.

Annoyingly I feel like I’ve made my reaction to this look super negative but honestly I’m pretty excited by it. Slightly above the whelmed category I’d say. Ok, it might be Steel Curtains shorter uglier step cousin but it’s still likely going to be the best ride in the UK.

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
OK, so I've had a chance to have a look at the plans, and here's my honest reaction.

Is it what I was expecting? No.

Is it exactly what I wanted, and what I would personally have gone for? No.

Do I think it has the potential to be an excellent ride, and is it something I'm excited to ride? Definitely!

Do I think this will be a great, successful investment for Thorpe, and really give them the new zap of momentum they arguably need? Almost certainly!

If you want specifics, some initial thoughts of mine include:
  • The UK height record finally being broken is huge news, as is Thorpe Park finally getting a new coaster; put those two things together, and I can't really complain! I'm extremely grateful to Merlin that even one of those things is being done, let alone both, so in that sense, that renders any complaints I have overly nitpicky and totally pushing my luck!
  • There are elements on this that look like they could ride very well; the drop looks superb, as does the big overbank!
  • As much as this isn't a B&M Hyper like I was hoping for, Mack build some excellent stuff, and when taking target market into account, I think most of the new-gen Mack coasters I've ridden have been excellent rides that I've thoroughly enjoyed, so I don't see why this shouldn't be the same!
  • I've got to say, as much as this won't sprawl and dominate over the entire park in the vein that an out-and-back hyper would have done, I do think this will still look very impressive on the skyline; a 236ft lift hill is nothing to be sniffed at, and I think those big, tall elements will make it look very impressive indeed! I said previously that I felt Thorpe needed a ride that sells itself and makes a statement, and even though it isn't some big, sprawling out and back coaster, the visuals make it look very dominant indeed, and based on that, I think this looks to tick those boxes perfectly!
  • As I think I said before during the rumour stages; even though I was predicting a B&M Hyper, I'm not sure that Old Town is the ideal site for a Thorpe hyper (for a hyper, I would have used the island behind Swarm for a station and had an out and back layout wrap behind Swarm and work its way towards the front of the park, personally). With that in mind, I think they've done extraordinarily well with the space and Merlin's budget; they've packed a lot in to that site (which is quite small by hyper standards)!
  • The length doesn't bother me; it looks to have a fair amount of elements, and the ride duration doesn't seem obscenely short to me by any means based on renderings (it's about 30-40 seconds, isn't it?). If it was like Stealth or Oblivion and literally did one hill before flying into the brakes, I would perhaps identify with the criticism a little more, but as it is, the length of this doesn't bother me; I don't even think it seems overly short myself!
  • If I'm being completely honest, I'll confess to being ever so slightly disappointed that they haven't built something with more of an airtime focus (as much as I'm sure this coaster will have airtime, it looks to be focused more on big inversions and hangtime); the UK lacks coasters that focus strongly on airtime, and this doesn't seem to fill that void based on the layout we have. I think a hyper was the perfect opportunity to give the UK a true airtime machine and I don't think this looks like an airtime machine per se, but in Merlin's defence, I'm admittedly unsure in hindsight if they could have even pulled off such a ride within the site being used and the limited amount of money that Merlin have to work with. Also, that is me being unfairly nitpicky, and I don't know how much the average visitor would really crave a huge airtime machine, so in that regard, it's a moot point; I am completely insignificant in the grand scheme of things, so who cares what I think? I'm sure most people will absolutely eat this up regardless of how much airtime it has!
  • Controversial opinion; I'm not sure if this will be as intense and relentless as some are making out. Most of the elements look very big and drawn out; at first glance, it gives me strong Steel Curtain vibes, and while that ride has been received well, I'm led to believe it's not especially intense. Pair that with the fact that Mack coasters don't generally tend to be obscenely intense anyway (this is based off the ones I've done, though; I don't know about the newer stuff like RTH or Hurricane), and I'm not sure this will have the strongest positive g-forces, nor will it have nutty pacing; I think the sheer size of the elements could mean that the focus is more on hangtime and sustained floaty sensations as opposed to spine-separating positive g's and relentless pacing, and it's worth noting that the only real low elements on the ride will have had some speed shaved off of them by the water brake (don't get me wrong, I'm sure the ride won't limp through those elements by any means, but it will certainly be slower than if the splashdown wasn't there). I'm not making that out as a bad thing by any means (in fact from a personal preference point of view, I actually think Thorpe could do with something a little more rerideable as opposed to out and out intense, so I'd be pretty happy with that!), but I don't personally think the ride will be phenomenally intense like some are making out. I'm open to being proven wrong here (and I'm sure some of you will prove me wrong on this, as I seem to be in a minority predicting this!), but that's just my initial thought based on what I'm seeing.
That's just a few honest thoughts that leap to mind for me; I apologise if I come across a bit ungrateful and nitpicky in places, but I wanted to provide a balanced opinion and be completely honest with you all, providing both my pros and cons.

But to sum it up; exciting stuff, and while it's not what I personally had in mind, I'm sure it'll be excellent!