What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
I was thinking about this this morning, and with a 2024 opening leaving two full seasons to go, I would love to see the parks smaller investments between now and then go on bringing the existing stock up to standard from a reliability perspective with perhaps some new trains for Colossus if the budget allowed for it.

Whatever this new ride may be, it's clearly going to be a large addition, but there's no point having a huge new standout ride to soak up the queues when half of the park's other rides are broken down.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I was thinking about this this morning, and with a 2024 opening leaving two full seasons to go, I would love to see the parks smaller investments between now and then go on bringing the existing stock up to standard from a reliability perspective with perhaps some new trains for Colossus if the budget allowed for it.

Whatever this new ride may be, it's clearly going to be a large addition, but there's no point having a huge new standout ride to soak up the queues when half of the park's other rides are broken down.
Colossus with new trains could be incredible… As it is, it’s completely unrideable for me :/ Is the track capable of running the newer style trains?

Not sure what can be done about Saw’s rattle, I assume it just a gerst thing. Still an enjoyable ride, but it’s a once and done… Even when they’re opening the gate between exit and boarding and asking you to reride, I sadly have to decline…

Please don’t touch the others, especially Stealth… Either I’ve been extremely lucky, or it’s become one of the most reliable hydraulic launches there is!!!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
One thing to look out for that may potentially give away the manufacturer and ride type is noise comparisons.

This is definitely true. However, such things usually appear in fuller planning documents, and may not appear in this period.

I think it's worth re-acquainting ourselves with the Chessington consultation website to see what we may be in store for at the back end of this week: https://www.cwoa-consultation.com/

Probably the page which was of most interest in terms of the ride itself was the 'Proposal' one. It shows some visuals and a piece of what one could call concept art too, as well as some views of the proposed layout. I would expect a similar level to appear for Thorpe.

Those visuals may give a look at how the track is shaped (but also may not), which could help distinguish a manufacturer, but no certainty.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
This is definitely true. However, such things usually appear in fuller planning documents, and may not appear in this period.

I think it's worth re-acquainting ourselves with the Chessington consultation website to see what we may be in store for at the back end of this week: https://www.cwoa-consultation.com/

Probably the page which was of most interest in terms of the ride itself was the 'Proposal' one. It shows some visuals and a piece of what one could call concept art too, as well as some views of the proposed layout. I would expect a similar level to appear for Thorpe.

Those visuals may give a look at how the track is shaped (but also may not), which could help distinguish a manufacturer, but no certainty.
To be fair, if we get a similar level of art work, and the same detailed views from surrounding roads… Should be easy to confirm or rule out a B&M hyper… Other types may be more difficult.

T0M

Hyper Poster

Note that despite the artwork giving a strong indication of a B&M, they claimed that a half-dozen manufacturers still had their name in the hat and no decision had been taken. I'm not saying that was/is 100% true, but it could suggest that the manufacturer may not be confirmed by the park this week.

Dan?

Roller Poster
Note that despite the artwork giving a strong indication of a B&M, they claimed that a half-dozen manufacturers still had their name in the hat and no decision had been taken. I'm not saying that was/is 100% true, but it could suggest that the manufacturer may not be confirmed by the park this week.
That's not the case - manufacturers bid to provide a layout for the park, so they would've had the manufacturer pinned down before the layout was finished. This is 100% a B&M.

T0M

Hyper Poster
I tend to agree, but they said - you could say misleadingly - that it was simply the basic concept on table and that the tendering process was still ongoing and anyone could win it.

In reality, I accept that they would have at least informally decided by the time they come to consultation stage - it's just they they didn't confirm who it was at Chessington and may not this week if a similar approach is taken.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I can't see Merlin going for an RMC somehow. They seem a bit violent considering their aversion to lapbar inversions. I can imagine loads of people complaining that it's too violent or not very re-rideable. I know they work elsewhere but I just can't see it.

I'd be happy with any of the following provided they have decent layouts:

GCI/GG woodie (chuck in some of the new inversions if you like or perhaps duelling woodies?)
Intamin launch (UK Taron yes pls)
Some other launch coaster (we need more modern launches and re-rideable, smooth coasters)
Axis (imagine 😱)
B&M hyper/giga (solid, reliable, re-rideable and would look amazing by the water.)

So yes, one of the above please.

Last edited:

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
This is a quote from someone who definitely hasn't ridden Taron.
Or he's like myself and has ridden it but didn't really rate it. Incredible themeing and all but as a ride itself its fine but there are much better rides out there in my opinion.

Either way I think we can safely say you can't create Taron level themeing out of shipping containers and creepy music. Wonder how people would rate a Taron clone if merlin stuck one in the car park 😂

Matt N

CF Legend
That amount of spiders, all dressed to the nines as looking dapper as ****, is probably more likely than this ride meeting the hype 🎩
We never know… I think this could very well be a truly brilliant ride that’s really strongly revered!

Merlin could yet blow our socks off, for all we know… in a couple of days, we’ll know! I can’t believe it’s drawing that close…

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I can't lie there's at least a dozen Intamin launchers I would rather see Merlin build than glorified Rita.
Or he's like myself and has ridden it but didn't really rate it. Incredible themeing and all but as a ride itself its fine but there are much better rides out there in my opinion.

Either way I think we can safely say you can't create Taron level themeing out of shipping containers and creepy music. Wonder how people would rate a Taron clone if merlin stuck one in the car park 😂
Ok guys calm down, it was just an example of a popular coaster of that ride type. Didn't mean literally build a clone with all the theming. Knew I shouldn't have waded into this thread. 😂

Last edited:

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I think we'd have more luck focusing on a possible theme.
What themes that are almost out of popular culture now would fit

Tiger King: The Ride
The Brangelina Experience
Deirdre Barlowinator
Twilight: Werewolf Vs Vampire
250feet of Gray
Fyre Festival Of Doom
Donnie Darko: The Bunny Ride
Crocks - The Revenge
The Entire Presidency Of Donald Trump - The Roller Coaster

Reckon these are all in the Merlin ball park for now cheap licenses. Apart from the last one they may not be scary enough though

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
Whatever this coaster turns out to be, it better not have a tacky-IP, Thorpe is crying out for originality, in the years since Swarm, we’ve only seen one investment not themed to an IP, and those rides Timber Tug and Lumber Jump and that’s depressing as 🤬

Last edited: