What's new

CWOA | Mandrill Mayhem (World of Jumanji) | B&M Wing Coaster | 2023

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
I've updated the topic title slightly to reflect the recent heavy rumours. Is this OK, mods?
I hear it's gonna be a golden horse :p
On a serious note I personally shall be suprised if it's a B&M but wouldn't be apposed to see one pop up, hope it does well for them but I'm still slightly curious why they didnt go for an Intamin family launch such as Juvelen, think that would have done great with good capacity aswell alas...

Matt N

CF Legend
On a random note; do we think this ride will be classed by B&M as a Wing Coaster, alongside the likes of The Swarm, or as a Family Coaster, alongside the FICs in China, with a new line of Family Coaster named Family Wing Coaster being invented?

Personally, I reckon it might just be a regular Wing Coaster, given the 1.4m height restriction, inversion and 88ft height, but I wasn't too sure, as Legoland Sichuan is said to be getting a similar ride, and I certainly don't see a full-on Wing Coaster fitting with Legoland's ethos... that one might be smaller in scale and sans any inversions, however. I'm not personally 100% convinced that Legoland Sichuan's one will even be a Wing Coaster myself (I reckon B&M's take on a sit-down family launcher seems more likely myself), as it looks full-circuit from the renderings and the trains & track gauge look too narrow, but many others seem very sure of it being a shuttle Wing Coaster like this one...

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry to double post, but a UK trademark has been filed by Tri-Star Pictures for JUMANJI, to be used in “location-based entertainment and amusement parks”, which to me practically confirms that the area will have some link to Jumanji:
Whether it’ll be the book, the old film, the new film, or a Wicker Man-style original story based on the Jumanji story is anyone’s guess. Personally, I’d be extremely surprised if it isn’t themed to the new film series starring Dwayne Johnson, but what do you guys think?
EDIT: If it’s Tri-Star filing the trademark, it’ll surely be the new films, won’t it, as they’re the film studio making the current film series? Unless this is for a different project entirely…

Ethan

Strata Poster
Ugh... I guess at least it's pretty relevant, for now?
I'm probably alone in this, but when it comes to parks using IP, I'd rather the entire park is IP based (Universal Studios etc), or none of it. Like how when you go to Europa Park and each area is wonderfully themed to a nation and it all fits together, but you turn the corner and there's a powered coaster themed to a bunch of tiny dweebs in the grass? Hate it.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
I do feel Chessington could probably do a ride like this with their own theming, rather than a licence, but I suppose they did have Beanoland for years.

EDIT: If it’s Tri-Star filing the trademark, it’ll surely be the new films, won’t it, as they’re the film studio making the current film series? Unless this is for a different project entirely…
All four Jumanji films (including Zathura) are made by Tri-Star/Sony, with a fifth in development. I would suspect this ride wouldn't tie into specific Dwayne Johnson stuff but rather themes from the whole "Jumanji Cinematic Universe"

WC90

Roller Poster
I believe the issue with height restrictions is quite limited due to UK laws. Technically Saw and Smiler can (and do) operate with a 1.2m height restriction. Likewise, albeit likely due to different reasons, most Wild Mouses run as a 1.1m but Rattlesnake is a 1.4m.

I think there is potential for this to feature different restraints and seats which could allow for a smaller height restriction, but at the time of the consultation, that was likely not confirmed and so we were told it was a 1.4m ride. So it’s not outside of the realms of possibility that it could be a lower restriction.

With it likely that there are two more Family B&M coasters going into the new Legoland in China, perhaps B&M are designing or adapting their seats for a smaller audience, which could open themselves up to a new market. Albeit a very competitive one.
The hilarious thing is that nearly all (or every?) "extreme" coasters bought by merlin have the strange 1.4 m limit, even if there are nearly identical models with 10, 15 or even 20 cm less and even if they are in the same country. In Germany and italy it's the same. This limit it's like a physical or mathematical constant such as Pi and euler number. Sorry for the ot (and for my english) but I always laugh when, in italian forums, i read some old post written by "experts" about the old myth that parks always try to reach the largest audience, and instead "lower" height restrictions to manufacturers numbers they lower g forces, height (nooo, it's not for make a coaster cheapter...) and other things to "increase" the audience. These things (lowering g forces and shrinking) are semi ufficial statements about ispeed, which it initially was a better and larger coaster.

Changa

Mega Poster
I always thought the 1.4m height restriction was more of a form of branding. 1.4m means its a "major" coaster that you'll want to challenge yourself by riding, and the more 1.4m rides inflates the value of the park to guests. Changing the restriction of TWD was completely arbitrary when nothing changed about the restraints, but now TWD is listed in the same category as Stealth for height, and could easily be seen as having comparable thrill & quality to someone who hasnt been and doesn't know better.

WC90

Roller Poster
I always thought the 1.4m height restriction was more of a form of branding. 1.4m means its a "major" coaster that you'll want to challenge yourself by riding, and the more 1.4m rides inflates the value of the park to guests. Changing the restriction of TWD was completely arbitrary when nothing changed about the restraints, but now TWD is listed in the same category as Stealth for height, and could easily be seen as having comparable thrill & quality to someone who hasnt been and doesn't know better.
I also have a similar theory but it's just a mere speculation. The only fact is that there are essentially two schools of thought: who usually raise height restrictions and who doesn't, but the "merlin way" isn't commonly seen in really successful parks.

Last edited:

bob_3_

Giga Poster
It's bloody irritating when you have a kiddo at 138cm who cannot ride Oblivion but was fine to ride Barron 1898 2 years previous.

Yeah I used to look after some kids every summer and take them to a park, one year we did Phantasialand and they were fine for Taron, next year we did Linnanmaki and they couldn't ride Taiga.

Also talking of Baron, I understand why people were miffed at a 1.4m ride at Efteling. It's really sad to see kids that the park is aimed at unable to ride the big ride at the centre of the park (obviously theres loads to do regardless, but it was annoying we couldn't do that one together and had to split up). So I would be annoyed if they added a 1.4m ride into cChessington, unless its the direction they want to head in but I doubt thats the case with the planning restrictions they have there.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Lots of people reporting ridiculous queue times at Chessington this half term.

This new coaster really needed to be a capacity monster.

Still time to change plans, Merlin!

Matt N

CF Legend
Out of interest, has anyone heard anything about how the planning permit is progressing? Is it remotely close to getting approved?

Jared

Hyper Poster
Out of interest, has anyone heard anything about how the planning permit is progressing? Is it remotely close to getting approved?

Few weeks away yet. It’s being held up by objections to the ecological report. Shouldn’t be too long hopefully.

Matt N

CF Legend
Few weeks away yet. It’s being held up by objections to the ecological report. Shouldn’t be too long hopefully.
Cheers, Jared! Do you know whether that would still allow for the ride/area to be on schedule for a March 2023 opening?

toofpikk

Mega Poster
Lots of people reporting ridiculous queue times at Chessington this half term.

This new coaster really needed to be a capacity monster.

Still time to change plans, Merlin!

I'm not sure it's possible for a single train shuttle coaster to be a capacity monster, let alone one at Chessington..

It's noticeable this year that staffing across the park ops are truly dire, a few years back you'd see 4 attendants working on platform on vampire with a 10+ team, was there last weekend and there were 4 staff members running the entire thing on a 90 minute queue. Reeeeaaallyyyy hope someone wakes up and sorts it out, worst state I've seen the park in a long long time.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
It's noticeable this year that staffing across the park ops are truly dire, a few years back you'd see 4 attendants working on platform on vampire with a 10+ team, was there last weekend and there were 4 staff members running the entire thing on a 90 minute queue. Reeeeaaallyyyy hope someone wakes up and sorts it out, worst state I've seen the park in a long long time.
I noticed the same thing. I went the week before half term when the park was quiet and staff were super slow at loading Vampire. The queue only stretched just outside the station building yet it was still a 20-25 minute wait.

Also the number of breakdowns throughout the day was ridiculous.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Was scrolling through a recently released Digital Dan video and one hawk's eye detail was mentioned, apologies if its already been posted here or discussed elsewhere;
Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 11.34.37 PM.png

If it wasn't confirmed before, then it is now. The interesting point here is that this board is exclusively from the 1995 Junamji film with Robin Williams and not a feature of the newer films.
I would suspect this ride wouldn't tie into specific Dwayne Johnson stuff but rather themes from the whole "Jumanji Cinematic Universe"
And based on what we're seeing here, that would be correct.