What's new

Wind Speeds

JammyH

Hyper Poster
I was supposed to be going to Drayton manor on Friday, but have now seen a yellow warning for wind.

Does anyone know the sufficient wind speed required in order to shut attractions down? Is it likely that they will close in high winds at Drayton manor?

It’s quite a journey for me, and i wouldn’t want to be greeted with a ton of closed rides, but rescheduling for another day will also be relatively complicated and annoying.

Matt N

CF Legend
I’m not sure about Drayton specifically, but I know that The Smiler has a wind speed limit of 34mph. I don’t know if that helps at all...

JammyH

Hyper Poster
I’m not sure about Drayton specifically, but I know that The Smiler has a wind speed limit of 34mph. I don’t know if that helps at all...

Thanks Matt. Really helpful. I’m just trying to find out what the wind speeds are on Friday. Drayton doesn’t really have many tall rides except for apocalypse so that should surely mean less things should shut down in the winds.. right?

JammyH

Hyper Poster
@Matt N I’ve just checked and average wind speed of 24mph but gusts of up to 41mph....

Do you think rides might be closed as the gusts are consistent all day?

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Answer to my own question: if the weather forecast says yellow warning for winds, reschedule your park visit and don’t go!

At Drayton manor today, shockwave, apocalypse, buffalo coaster, pandemonium and stormforce 10 all closed due to high winds. The queues for the smaller rides are ridiculous because of this; only been on drunken barrels and sheriff showdown.

It’s also raining now, so having lunch in the hotel. It’s all been a bit unfortunate but they offered me free return tickets so I’ll have to get the coasters another time.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Oh yeah it's super windy around here today I'm not surprised nothing is running.

I phoned yesterday and the customer services team told me it would be fine- I would have rescheduled if they had warned me about how many things might be shut!

Ben

CF Legend
That is a bit crap of them to be fair, they should have really been at least pre-empting with a warning that things might not operate in high winds etc.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
That is a bit crap of them to be fair, they should have really been at least pre-empting with a warning that things might not operate in high winds etc.

They didn’t put a warning up on website/facebook until after the park had opened, and we had a 2 hour journey here!

There was no warning so many rides would be shut! Queued for apocalypse, someone came round and told us it wouldn’t be opening. Queued for shockwave, after 10 mins someone came round and said it wouldn’t be opening. Queued for 15 mins for buffalo while it was operating then they shut it down due to the winds! so left that queue. So after 90 minutes of standing around the park and queueing didn’t manage any rides so I went to guest services and they offered me a free return visit- the least they can do but it’s a long journey!

Accelerator is open but over an hour line. We even had to wait 10-15 mins for sherriff showdown, because there’s barely any rides open.

There’s not much cleaning going on in the park either, but plenty of hand sanitiser. Social distancing is not really a thing and masks aren’t enforced either!